Restaurants, pubs and bars in Thailand may soon be open and serving alcohol

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But for all other areas in Thailand, there is a very real possibility that bars, pubs and restaurants will be able  to operate in near normality as early as this coming Saturday.

It was never a blanket ban, just the red and orange areas. Life in Hat Yai continued as normal, just a return to 80/90% mask wearing and an increased insistence on check-in check-out.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

AFAIK everything opened up in Chiang Rai in May or June last year, and it's been that way ever since. Perhaps not the bars, but the restaurants definitely were open and serving alcohol.

You are correct. Everything stayed open in Chiang Rai.  While everything was open there were few customers.  People flying into Chiang Rai from a red zone was required to quarantine for 14 days. This would include everyone since I believe that the only flights into Chiang Rai come from DMK or BKK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mbolo said:

Sorry...meant to add that my local in Hua Hin has continued to serve alcohol throughout this period ( and there’s a permanently manned police post just outside ! ) 

Brown envelopes delivered serving tray.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

All this new freedom wouldn't have anything to do with the upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations by any chance .....LOL

You are definitely spot on! they are also looking at opening the borders for general tourism, and no alcohol would not give the Land of Smile a bad image. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Would that it were so. 

When the first restriction came in last year I saw numerous groups sitting round  "restaurant" tables with copious amounts of alcohol and the odd plate of chips.  If people cannot act like grown ups then they deserve to be treated like children.

The singler digit IQ peope are those guilty of abusing the restrictions last time. 

PH

Hear! Hear!

26 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

You are definitely spot on! they are also looking at opening the borders for general tourism, and no alcohol would not give the Land of Smile a bad image. 

Really ? They will also open the borders to general tourism on Feb 1st, I didn’t see any mention of this.

2 hours ago, delgarcon said:

After the raid in KP the other night, the new Immigration chief, who has been putting himself about with abandon, now says the ban on alcohol in restaurants, due to end today, will now be extended indefinitely.

Who is this new immigration chief? Which fancy rank? General maybe? I suppose we can still expect changes to keep changing daily, so

everything just continues as usual?

• Like 1

I have never quite understood the connection between serving alcohol, and safety measures to prevent Covid. I get it, when it comes to alot of sweaty dancing in a nightclub. But, a beer in a restaurant? Anyone have any idea what the thinking was behind this?

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Why should that be a decision that an immigration official should make?

All the bosses especially in immigration, but also in other authorities, just makes up rules to show that they can whether it is their authority or not. This is Thailand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never quite understood the connection between serving alcohol, and safety measures to prevent Covid. I get it, when it comes to alot of sweaty dancing in a nightclub. But, a beer in a restaurant? Anyone have any idea what the thinking was behind this?

I can see it here in Pattaya. At restaurants (rather bars with restaurant licence) many gathered there to drink their booze. The same "restaurants" without alcohol are pretty empty.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

The headline of this OP is definitely wrong.

The headline is as normal for Thailand speaking officially.

Reality is often a different matter.

I know 2 restaurants within 3 Km of each other, rural areas, 1 was ordered shut in writing the second was advised to close, but a shop (in the same area) that sells alcohol, and allows drinking on the premises no effect.

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looking forward to eating a good plate of Fish & Chips while drinking a mug or two of Guinness at my local Iris Pub once they can serve alcohol.  Of course I will need to ensure I put in 10km the next day...lol 

There should be no leaving or entering samut sakorn and definitely they need to close the seafood market where it began and test and isolate anyone working there and customers 

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looking forward to eating a good plate of Fish & Chips while drinking a mug or two of Guinness at my local Iris Pub once they can serve alcohol.  Of course I will need to ensure I put in 10km the next day...lol 

Don't get excited and jump up and down. It may be construed as dancing.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

there are many arguments can be made for either - you could argue that restaurants have more contact between people as they pass around menus and servers are interacting with a larger turnaround of customers who are touching many more items than in a bar - what exactly have you got against bars ?, you sound bitter for some reason 

I hate Hate having to hear about alcohol, every darn day , get over it , Dry Out 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

more thailand policy stupidity on blatant display; restaurants are not the same as bars; restaurant goers stay for 20 minutes to an hour; bar goers stay all night ; more single digit IQ policymakers

I drink and eat in a Bar/Restaurant, how long can I stay sir.   

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

all bars and clubs closed and no alcohol served in restaurants for 4/5 weeks now in Hua Hin. 

massage was closed, gyms still closed, schools. schools will open Feb 1. 

In Hua Hin, pubs and bars have been closed from 31st December and restaurants not allowed to serve alcohol from 3rd January, to be exact.

But in truth, most of it has simply moved underground, or rather, inside,  which defeats the object and actually makes the situation with regards to the possible spread of infection worse.  Furthermore, some restaurants are clearly and blatantly serving alcohol and the MiB do nothing.

The whole lockdown thing is a joke, either enforce it thoroughly and properly, or simply don't bother.  We're just lucky we are not all dropping like flies.

17 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Bars and restaurants around Natai Beach (Phangnga) never stopped serving alcohol. 

Surprised when I read the headline. 

Pretty sure they didn’t stop selling it in Phuket either, just had a midnight closing. 

No link on the OP, so I assume this is a Thaivisa sourced piece.

Same here in Udon Thani. I actually didn`t know there were restrictions anywhere besides the most affected places. Here they have been serving alcohol everywhere since the first lockdown last year. Restaurants, bars and clubs are all open and live concerts are packed with no distancing required. Could be they`re closing earlier than normal, but I haven`t noticed it.