Restaurants, pubs and bars in Thailand may soon be open and serving alcohol

snoop1130

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:

more thailand policy stupidity on blatant display; restaurants are not the same as bars; restaurant goers stay for 20 minutes to an hour; bar goers stay all night ; more single digit IQ policymakers

"According to CCSA spokesperson, Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, up for consideration will be whether or not to allow restaurants to open until 11pm and serve alcohol to customers and the opening of shopping malls and markets until 9pm.

Consideration will also be given to allow pubs and karaoke bars to open until 11pm."

Depends on how you read the above - the way I read it is that restaurants, pubs, and karaoke bars could all open until 11 pm, and shopping malls and markets until 9 pm.

Or are you saying that the opening hours for bars should be different to those for restaurants? If so, I disagree with you.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never quite understood the connection between serving alcohol, and safety measures to prevent Covid. I get it, when it comes to alot of sweaty dancing in a nightclub. But, a beer in a restaurant? Anyone have any idea what the thinking was behind this?

No!

22 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Bars and restaurants around Natai Beach (Phangnga) never stopped serving alcohol. 

Surprised when I read the headline. 

Pretty sure they didn’t stop selling it in Phuket either, just had a midnight closing. 

No link on the OP, so I assume this is a Thaivisa sourced piece.

Edited by anchadian

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never quite understood the connection between serving alcohol, and safety measures to prevent Covid. I get it, when it comes to alot of sweaty dancing in a nightclub. But, a beer in a restaurant? Anyone have any idea what the thinking was behind this?

The thinking behind this?

I am important. I have a khaki/brown/green uniform with lot's of badges, medals and paramilitary bling. This is an opportunity for ME to stand in front of the cameras, in MY newest, tightest uniform, almost hidden by a large flower arrangement which makes ME look important, and show how important and powerful I am by telling you that you can't go to the gym, go for a swim or go for a beer. I must take this opportunity, as next week it will be the Puu Yai in the department down the corridor's turn to have ago.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Schools are definitely open in Phangnga, bars have been definitely selling booze and street food stalls have definitely been selling street food. 

Not a single covid case and everything normal in Natai Beach.
A foreign company is currently filming something booking many hotel rooms and a beachfront Villa. 

The headline of this OP is definitely wrong.

It obviously isn't wrong

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55839705

12 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

You need to compare the number of people tested in the UK, USA, etc. It's a very simple equation, high volume testing will return a high volume of cases. Thailand simply do very little testing. If they tested at the same volume as western countries they'd get the same high number of positives.  

And would have the same number sin hospitals?  Or does not testing mean the proportion becoming so ill they need hospitalisation is very small also?

PH

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

See my first post on the thread....groups sitting around a "restaurant " table sharing a plate of chips*.  And many beers.

PH

* The choice of food being eaten could give an indication of the ethnicity of the participants.

• Thanks 1

Typical centralist media coverage - assuming that the whole of Thailand is closed down for bars and restricted for restaurants. We are increasingly seeing Bangkok residents "taking cover" in the nether (largely Covid-free) regions of Isaan.

48 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Still no news? Are we going out to drink this weekend? ????????????

???? I am waiting with bated breath.

I believe an announcement is expected this afternoon, which may be too late for some places to re-open tonight. Perhaps it would have been more thoughtful for this industry, which has been deeply impacted, for the government to announce on a Thursday ?

On 1/27/2021 at 8:58 PM, Natai Beach said:

Schools are definitely open in Phangnga, bars have been definitely selling booze and street food stalls have definitely been selling street food. 

Not a single covid case and everything normal in Natai Beach.
A foreign company is currently filming something booking many hotel rooms and a beachfront Villa. 

The headline of this OP is definitely wrong.

They are talking about provinces where there were restrictions, not places where there were few to none. Not sure why the headline is wrong. At most the wording is not perfect. There is more to Thailand than Phangnga.