Thailand to warmly welcome inoculated travellers

webfact

4 minutes ago, shdmn said:

So you are going to spend a bunch of time and money trying to forge documents and risk getting thrown in jail and permanently banned from the country and put your health at risk from catching the virus or just, you know, get vaccinated.  Tough choice. 

I wonder if all the vaccine passports and certificates will be registered in some central database by those who administer the vaccine and then maybe border control officials and other designated officials will have access to the database to verify anyone's vaccine status.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here you go, just one of many reports on whether or not the Immunity given will or will not keep a person from catching the virus again and then shedding/spreading it to others.

Could people still be infectious after they're vaccinated for COVID-19? - CBS News

the unanswered question of post-vaccination transmission means that even as large numbers of people are vaccinated, the disease may not be eradicated quickly.

There have been few studies on whether a person once vaccinated will be immune to catching the virus and spreading it again.  It is a toss-up, as it would take another years worth of studies to follow vaccinated individuals and see.

"We don't have the clinical trials to show that people who are vaccinated are not shedding the virus," Dr. Dyan Hes, founder of Gramercy Pediatrics in New York City, told CBSN. "They might not be getting sick, but they might still be shedding if they got it."

How a Covid-19 Vaccine Could End Up Helping the Virus Spread - Bloomberg

when I read about transmissions it is always correlated to viral load 

If one does not have a viral load , how would one transmit that virus? 

The 

14 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The question isn't so complicated really...the current crop of vaccines are up to 95% effective in preventing Covid-19 disease. They do nothing to prevent infection of vaccinated individuals...just prevents them from becoming sick from the virus. It's not like the vaccine puts a big stopper in people's noses and mouths that prevents inhaling the virus. Therefore, medical authorities say though they themselves won't get sick, vaccinated people can still spread the virus (and so should continue wearing masks until group immunity is achieved through vaccination).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Don't need a vaccine just a piece of paper that says you've had it.

Exactly! What kind of proof is needed. I have a wonderful computer and a printer, and I can easily manufacture proof that I've been vaccinated. I may even start a business.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

when I read about transmissions it is always correlated to viral load 

If one does not have a viral load , how would one transmit that virus? 

The 

Through fear!

I was infected with COVID recently; all it takes is for a person to self-quarantine for 10 days until the symptoms subside. In my case, I developed a viral pneumonia, but I recovered from that by day 16. I then had to self-quarantine another 7 days. I am not contagious, but my wife shunned me for over a week beyond my full quarantine period. (Hmm, maybe she was upset because of something else?)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

That's basically the alternative until there is wide-spread vaccination in Thailand. (Or it is shown that vaccinated people don't spread the virus.)

I get what you're saying, but if it is shown conclusively that those who have been vaccinated can still carry and spread the virus then what? I suspect that its possible to still carry the virus once vaccinated but I also suspect that it will be a much smaller risk of doing that, possibly the same sort of risk that you get with asymptomatic people. The problem is waiting again for conclusive studies which will take months possibly years, the world cannot wait that long including Thailand.

I agree the priority is for an effective and rapid vaccination plan in Thailand as the most effective way to steer a course out of the mess here but as we see Thailand has not even joined the race yet and it seems that when they get to the starting blocks they are under the impression that its a marathon and will be left behind.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wordchild said:

one big issue here is , what about  kids? they cant get vaccinated.

ie Will families with kids still have to quarantine? Including those of us who live in Thailand and may wish to travel abroad and then return to Thailand?   Or will it be sufficient just for the adult members of the family to  have been vaccinated? 

No families will come unless this is resolved. 

Single adult males only. Just like the old days!

Very good point and one that will take some thinking about. Apparently some studies are now being carried out but will not have results on vaccinating children until 2022.

• Like 1

Just now, Gumballl said:

I'm 53.

On the young side for sur. It's not clear why some people have minor or no symptoms and others get pneumonia. I get sick as a dog once a year and my girlfriend hasn't got even a minor flu in years. Any ideas why in your case?

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Very good point and one that will take some thinking about. Apparently some studies are now being carried out but will not have results on vaccinating children until 2022.

Why do we want to vaccinate kids? They're basically immune and in fact I think COVID is less dangerous for under 18's than flu is.

Edited by NorthernRyland

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

On the young side for sur. It's not clear why some people have minor or no symptoms and others get pneumonia. I get sick as a dog once a year and my girlfriend hasn't got even a minor flu in years. Any ideas why in your case?

Typically it is underlying health conditions.

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Look to India for a vaccine as soon as they open up. Goa or Kerala would be the perfect place, already has low count of covid cases. Just need to vaccinate the state population and get ready for tourists.

India will be manufacturing 100,000,000 vaccines per month i believe. They are biggest manufacture in the world.

India produce around 60% of the worlds vaccines, don't know why Thailand didn't look to them a long time ago.

If this goes ahead, the number of tourists arriving will be directly proportional to the numbers of people vaccinated. Some people wanting to travel may jump the queue and pay for a vaccine but not all. So basically if 30% of people in the target market have been vaccinated then I'd expect no more than 30% of the previous year's arrival numbers, probably less when you take into account the issue of children, plus the prioritised elderly, many of whom don't travel.

these are travel magazine articles ( an of course want see Thailand open) and have no basis on realty. 

More wishful thinking

FYI:  China accounted for around 30% of tourists in 2019 ( around 10 million) the Chinese vaccine effectiveness has been called into question.

Does Thailand want to receive Chinese with the Chinese vaccine?

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2