Thailand to warmly welcome inoculated travellers

webfact

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Surely. Did you have a previous lung condition? I'm much healthier than my GF (cyclist for years) but I always get sicker. 

No, it was my first. Even though I was sick longer than I had anticipated (my brother got sick at the same time, and recovered before the 10 day self-quarantine), my symptoms were never life-threatening. I was given Remdesivir (sp?) for four days, and once I could breathe well enough on my own (i.e. without a portable oxygen concentrator), I was free to go home and complete my recovery. I still coughed a bit, but at least I could breathe without issue.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

The first article in the OP presents this as a done deal, which is wildly wrong. At least the second article uses the weasel words "may", "considering", and "proposed", though it still doesn't make clear that this idea is coming completely from the tourism industry and hasn't been endorsed by anyone in the government leadership or the public health bureaucracy - who have shot down similar proposals in the past, for exactly the reasons forum members have posted here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I was given Remdesivir (sp?) for four days, and once I could breathe well enough on my own (i.e. without a portable oxygen concentrator),

You got it bad it sounds like. I get asthma in Thailand (not back in the US) and have some breathing problems with the common flu even. This was in the hospital you got Remdesivir? Which country?

14 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why do we want to vaccinate kids? They're basically immune and in fact I think COVID is less dangerous for under 18's than flu is.

Agree, I'm not sure its going to be necessary to vaccinate children to end the pandemic. They are not immune but the risk to them is so tiny, not one healthy child with no underlying medical condition has died in the UK for instance. However can they transmit the virus to adults? They probably can but again I think this is a tiny proportion although again studies still needed.

That said older children, in their teens, then thats a different matter, large spikes in covid cases worldwide have been attributed to secondary age young people under 18. Those are the ones who would in my view also need vaccinating.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree, I'm not sure its going to be necessary to vaccinate children to end the pandemic. They are not immune but the risk to them is so tiny, not one healthy child with no underlying medical condition has died in the UK for instance. However can they transmit the virus to adults? They probably can but again I think this is a tiny proportion although again studies still needed.

Right now in the US only 658 have died under the age of 24 and only 121 under 14. I heard that's less than the flu but I don't know how to confirm that.  I know school teachers always get sick so I presume they can pass it on.

Many of us have already had COVID or are prepared to take the hit so I think we need to split society into 2 camps and let those who want to move on in life do so. If you don't want to risk your kid getting you sick then sit home until the vaccine comes out. For the rest of us it's back to life as usual.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The vaccine doesn't "kill" the virus in the body...only prevents it from binding with and infecting host body cells and reproducing. It's still present and thus can be exhaled and spread to others.

The amount that is exhaled will be probably be less than what was originally breathed in and not having had a chance to replicate by the billions or trillions and then spread to others and with enough people reaching immunity or effectively being able to repel the virus it could eventually die out like Sars1 did,unless it can mutate quickly enough into something that is itself immune to the effects of the current vaccines and once enough herd immunity is reached the virus will have effectively been "killed" by the vaccines,but not in the body like you've said it wouldn't.Aren't we lucky they don't reproduce outside the body?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Aren't we lucky they don't reproduce outside the body?

It sounds like mass vaccination is like a war attrition. Could take years. Polio took decades to kill after the vaccine was released. Polio sounds scarier than COVID if you ask me. Takes down kids even. Average age of COVID deaths are 80+.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

It sounds like mass vaccination is like a war attrition. Could take years. Polio took decades to kill after the vaccine was released. Polio sounds scarier than COVID if you ask me. Takes down kids even. Average age of COVID deaths are 80+.

Indeed, I think it probably will take years to eradicate, but we might be able to return to the old normal in a much shorter space of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I wonder if all the vaccine passports and certificates will be registered in some central database by those who administer the vaccine and then maybe border control officials and other designated officials will have access to the database to verify anyone's vaccine status.

That is what the plan should be and should be the WHO’s role. However given that agreements between countries can take years to finalise and not all countries will join, I can with almost certainty say that it will be nearly impossible to implement. Think of countries that hold databases already and the error rates, add the  logistical problems of maintaining a record of even half the worlds population.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Many of us have already had COVID or are prepared to take the hit so I think we need to split society into 2 camps and let those who want to move on in life do so. If you don't want to risk your kid getting you sick then sit home until the vaccine comes out. For the rest of us it's back to life as usual.

If it was that easy to do but its not in anyway shape or form

• Like 1

5 hours ago, techietraveller84 said:

Soon, there are going to be a lot of counterfeit vaccination certificates out there. Wonder how Thailand is going to determine what's legit and what isn't?

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/travelers-using-counterfeit-covid-test-results

Dont worry Thailand is on top of things when it comes to fake degrees and such other documents! ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 will be welcomed with open arms by Thailand through a new campaign set to launch in 3Q2021.

Note the bold underlined section above ???? "Third Quarter of 2021"

Now think about how Thailand's Government changes its mind daily on what it proclaimed yesterday

Move along....nothing to see here ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rumble Tumble said:

Step in the right direction, however surely this can not start until a large amount of Thai people are vaccinated.

Set up nurses at all 7-11s in LOS and it will be done in record time!  First 100 get a Doraemon sticker...vaccine can also be paid for with stamp books from 7-11 purchases ????

• Haha 1

Finally some sound offerings..I think we can all get a little boost from this as we get hopeful, esp with certain people no longer in office doing absolutely nothing...

Perhaps the boys in charge in LOS are taking a clue from other countries and trying to get at least a idea or something to throw against the wall and see what happens

And some talk about a vaccine being useless, maybe at least in the eyes of thais this would save face and still bring in tourists, as we seem to be the only carriers of such a disease, or are always at fault, lord forbid a Thai commit a sin against another, another face saving logic....Im just trying to get back in without all the hoops, esp the $$$ quarantine for 2 weeks...blah

Id buckle down with insurance too but would be nice to have that drop too, as perhaps the thais are seeing what is working and what is not..lowering standards and waking to reality???

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Vaccine booster shots may replace magic mushrooms at Full Moon parties....the future is now

How dare you even propose such a thing?Just squirt some vax into my mushy juice and I'll be fine with that.Call it a Vax Trippin party and enjoy the side effects! 

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How dare you even propose such a thing?Just squirt some vax into my mushy juice and I'll be fine with that.Call it a Vax Trippin party! 

Just as you don't inject the mushroom tea into your veins and grow your own bacterium spores inside of you and create a near death experience like this tool did:

Psychedelic Mushrooms Grew in a Man's Veins After He Injected Them (gizmodo.com)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The amount that is exhaled will be probably be less than what was originally breathed in and not having had a chance to replicate by the billions or trillions and then spread to others and with enough people reaching immunity or effectively being able to repel the virus it could eventually die out like Sars1 did,unless it can mutate quickly enough into something that is itself immune to the effects of the current vaccines and once enough herd immunity is reached the virus will have effectively been "killed" by the vaccines,but not in the body like you've said it wouldn't.Aren't we lucky they don't reproduce outside the body?

Yes eventually without spreading to new unvaccinated hosts and in-body reproduction the virus will die out in humans. That's the ultimate goal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Don't need a vaccine just a piece of paper that says you've had it.

Is Khaosan Road shut? If not, someone is going to be very busy soon. Just buy vaccine "certificates" then post them to your friends in other countries. Done.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

All from China, the hordes are just waiting to return to the speedboats, hit the prawn buffets, and allow their children to defecate in public.  What could possibly go wrong with this plan.

I don't think the taxi drivers, or the operators of the airport train will be very happy.

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well lets see what is and what isn't ratified by the PM/Thai Gov. My feeling is, and I don't know why, the PM will probably act on the side of caution.

The unelected "PM" will act on what is best for him and his soldiers.

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yep another good point. The Thai authorities should focus on getting Thais vaccinated if they want to open up the country...not the vacation plans of foreigners.

You don't expect the military educated unelected "PM" or his soldiers to understand that surely.

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

A lot of misinformation by many above. The information has been posted repeatedly , but many seem to ignore it because it does not feet in their narrative .

I think we can all agree that if you do not have covid you can not transmit it.Which is why the test and then the quarantine , because you could develop it with in 14 days.

After 14 dats you can go, and its not because you cab no longer get it. 

So you are vaccinated . 

Below is information concerning that from the US CDC website updated Jan 5

"ll COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States have been shown to be highly effective at preventing COVID-19. . "

Notice it says Preventive covid 19 , not preventing the symptoms of covid 19. 

the vaccines available now in the US have a 95% prevention rate , which means that there is still a 5% chance of getting it. 

So , reading further more on the CDC website it states :

" Based on what we know about vaccines for other diseases and early data from clinical trials, experts believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine may also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19."

So you have a 5%  chance of getting it but a good chance that you will not get seriously sick.

So you expect Thailand to shoot themselves on the tourism foot, because vaccinated people might have a minuscule chance of getting infected, and an even smaller chance of getting sick. BUT, you think it is Ok to release unvaccinated people from quarantine with a significantly bigger chance of getting infected and infecting others? 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

Your post demonstrates, you don't understand how any of this works.