Thailand to warmly welcome inoculated travellers

webfact

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Some long time residents might be suggesting to close the borders permanently. ????

They would probably kick out the long time residents first.  Maybe they might want to rid themselves of selfish residents first and then replace them with civilised residents.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, techietraveller84 said:

Soon, there are going to be a lot of counterfeit vaccination certificates out there. Wonder how Thailand is going to determine what's legit and what isn't?

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/travelers-using-counterfeit-covid-test-results

Not easy to counterfeit the QR code which is part of the vacination certificate issued, easy for Thailand to verify those from each country's issuing authority.  

16 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Exactly! What kind of proof is needed. I have a wonderful computer and a printer, and I can easily manufacture proof that I've been vaccinated. I may even start a business.

In the old days we had small booklets issues by government of each country.  I have a vintage (1970s) one issued in France which  allowed for 5 Smallpox vaccinations; 14 Cholera  and  7 Other Vaccinations;  any entry must be signed and stamped by the vaccine  centre with name and qualification of the vaccinator. For Smallpox and Yellow Fever the manufacturer of the vaccine and Lot Number had to be given.   I would guess that any certificate for Corvid-19 would require similar details. 

Back in the 1970's  the cholera vaccine only gave protection for 3 months, but it could not be administered  in less than  6 months  intervals. For this reason many doctors would fill-in sign and stamp  the certificate without giving the vaccine, because sometimes the side effects of the vaccine were almost as bad as having the disease. !

In the 1990 when I was living in UK, I got the vaccination booklet at the British Airways vaccination cenre at Victoria  - this had pages for more vaccinations, including Rabies, and one that I really didn't like - felt like half a litre in the back-side.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, techietraveller84 said:

Soon, there are going to be a lot of counterfeit vaccination certificates out there. Wonder how Thailand is going to determine what's legit and what isn't?

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/travelers-using-counterfeit-covid-test-results

I suppose you will have to have the vaccination certificates certified by your local government. And then take that certification to the Thai embassy in your country for an extra certification and stamping by the Thai embassy. 

That should be pretty counterfeit-proof. 

1 minute ago, ctxa said:

I suppose you will have to have the vaccination certificates certified by your local government. And then take that certification to the Thai embassy in your country for an extra certification and stamping by the Thai embassy. 

The local U.K. Government wouldn’t verify income letters so I doubt very much they will do a Covid Cert,

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The local U.K. Government wouldn’t verify income letters so I doubt very much they will do a Covid Cert,

Not sure about income letters, but that's the way it works for university degrees

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

There's ways and means to simply verify a document without breaching privacy legislation. Verifying income is a whole different matter.

Just now, Salerno said:

There's ways and means to simply verify a document without breaching privacy legislation. Verifying income is a whole different matter.

Difference is how do they know the verifier is authentic and how do they check if they are. Say I have a Vaccine Cert. from the U.K. how is anyone going to check it’s authentic ?

Will it be down to the airline or sending it to the Thai Embassy in London, immigration in Bangkok won’t have the means to do it.

24 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Difference is how do they know the verifier is authentic and how do they check if they are.

That is the million dollar question.

But as an example, in Australia, all I need is to be a legit business (with an ABN - Australian Business Number) with a legit requirement and I can query various databases (via a gateway provider) to confirm you are who you say you are (passport, driving licence, foreign passport if you have a visa, medicare card, birth certificate etc.). Therefore, the tech required isn't new, just needs some international cooperation to maintain databases for their citizens and expose the required APIs to border agencies around the world.

https://www.idmatch.gov.au/

Edited by Salerno
Added link

10 hours ago, provan69 said:

I am from Australia, we have had no cases of the virus for a while now and my area has not had a case since the start of the pandemic. I have my girlfriend of 4 years and 4 months living in a  North East town who I haven't seen for 14 months. I wish and prey that we can be together soon as we are not getting any younger and I miss her very much

Have you applied to leave Australia, and can you get a flight to Thailand?

4 hours ago, ctxa said:

Yes but in Thailand nothing is brown envelope proof! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

In the 1990 when I was living in UK, I got the vaccination booklet at the British Airways vaccination cenre at Victoria  - this had pages for more vaccinations, including Rabies, and one that I really didn't like - felt like half a litre in the back-side.

Ah yes......  the good old days before computers.....

img015_LI.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

..and some people still wonder why Immigration think Farangs are a bunch of conniving shisters..

Perhaps your not wrong but as your saying that because a falang mentioned a fake covid certificate....Do you think the Thai's will not have that market totally saturated quickly?

Have you ever seen previous versions of Khaosan road? Where they sold diplomas,licenses you name it.....Ever see how cheap Rolex's are in Thailand ????

So where there may be the occasional conniving shyster falang there are many more Thai's even at Immigration itself 555

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 5:27 AM, webfact said:

Thailand to warmly welcome inoculated travellers

Oh! No more "lure" or "flock". Thailand must be hurting... Surprising since so many people say tourism is only 9% of GDP. 

Also, very surprising that their domestic tourism cannot fill the gap, @sandyf

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, meechai said:

Perhaps your not wrong but as your saying that because a falang mentioned a fake covid certificate....Do you think the Thai's will not have that market totally saturated quickly?

Have you ever seen previous versions of Khaosan road? Where they sold diplomas,licenses you name it.....Ever see how cheap Rolex's are in Thailand ????

So where there may be the occasional conniving shyster falang there are many more Thai's even at Immigration itself 555

I wouldn’t disagree with that - and no doubt the Thais could teach Farangs a trick or two. My response was solely in direct response to the comment about a Farang producing fraudulent documents.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:05 AM, Don Chance said:

Look to India for a vaccine as soon as they open up. Goa or Kerala would be the perfect place, already has low count of covid cases. Just need to vaccinate the state population and get ready for tourists.

India will be manufacturing 100,000,000 vaccines per month i believe. They are biggest manufacture in the world.

Furthermore, the Indian vaccines manufactured by two different companies are of the traditional type, not the new mRNA vaccines and thus probably less risky.  

A dose goes for 3 or 4 $ respectively.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

For those making predictions one, one way or another, 

It is important to remember that the situation is fluid, and that can change , depending on vaccine availability , efficacy, and viruses mutations. 

Any predictions made now, are based on current information and as information changes so could predictions.  

As far as the quarantine is concerned, it does not have to be all or nothing, based on conditions, before it is eliminated , it could be reduced. 

Agree. We have to have a record system that can alert people if they need a booster, for example. Moderna is now developing a booster which they claim might be administered atop a non-Moderna vaccine! Their goal is to offset the South African variant, which is rendering their vaccine less efficacious.

Quarantine, a shorter one, or none, could be determined by the vaccine used, how long since it was done, and other parameters such as age of the traveler. The criteria could be updated by feedback from rapid testing at the airport. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No different from the flu which will always be with us vaccines have to be altered year on year to combat new strains. We might even need an annual Covid19 jab possibly possibly combined with the flu jab. The  idea of waiting for Covid to be eradicated isn’t going to happen, there now has to plans put in place with out quarantine or tourism will disappear globally.

The rational solution is to reduce this virus to the point that contact tracing is a practicality. Total elimination is a tall order.

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

Absolutely right.

all that the "Vaccine passport" is , it's a certificate that everyone involved can trust. Any trusted organization that can collect that information from the pertinent agencies in each country in the world and provide it in a centralized database. Otherwise how is Thailand to know that a receipt from youbetistan is real.

IATA is a trusted organization, with recourses in every country and an interest in making travel easier and safe. 

This IATA solution concerns me because it seems to lack any thought to public health goals. Packing people on planes is the single-minded objective. It could undermine the WHO/Estonia effort which might help toward controlling Covid.

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The NHS in the U.K. have a data base but I am sure they would be willing to provide any data to another country due to data protection etc.

You mean that they would not be willing, I guess. It's a problem for the EU as well. So the vaccination databases should be maintained in-country.

13 hours ago, ctxa said:

How about every other country that you are visiting?

On 1/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, GeorgeCross said:

awesome! we have a 100% effective vaccine now?

damn i must have missed the news..

or are we just opening up another big can of worms?!

Ya know at some point we’re going to have to be willing to accept some level of risk or jus kiss life as we have known it goodbye... after all covid isn’t the first or last virus threat the world has faced. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, NorthernRyland said:

You got it bad it sounds like. I get asthma in Thailand (not back in the US) and have some breathing problems with the common flu even. This was in the hospital you got Remdesivir? Which country?

USA.