5000 THB scam

Edwin81

Good morning to all thaivisa members and thank you to let me join this great forum. As you can read, around 40 days ago I was scammed and lost 5000 THB. My question is: for this amount, is worth  time to fill a report to police or just learn the lesson? Thank you for any answers I will get.

• Haha 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Who, when, what, where, how?

Simple bkk6060: I was looking for an apartment to rent and sent 5000 THB as deposit with the promise to get a receipt of the deposit in 2 days. Was chatting with a foreign male but the deposit was sent to a female Thai bank account. After 3 days told him to refund me and he agree, but he ask me many times my account but I refused to give as I was scared he can do something wrong again. I told him to get my account details where the deposit was transferred....but still nothing happens.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I think it will be safe to give him your account number details and see if he return the money to you, you should tell him that he has 24 hours to to do so or you will involve the police in it...

And police will act for this amount or once I fill the report it will takes weeks before they will act? But I will try to contact him again. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Edwin81 said:

And police will act for this amount or once I fill the report it will takes weeks before they will act? But I will try to contact him again. Thank you.

Sounds like you are in the wrong, you should contact him again and give him your bank details without threats of police to get your deposit back.

My advice would be don't send money in advance again. 

• Like 2

Had a guy do this to me in Cm, he was a brit or similar...something about a job and I needed a deposit for permits etc.....

He had a small office in the back of Kad suan kaew mall..way in the back old area..I was a newbie about a decade ago

I tracked him down online and even found his home in England--address..family..#s etc.......I contacted him and mentioned some

of these contacts to let him know I knew where to find him if he tried to not return my deposit....he wired it back to me..done and done

Pretty much everyone leaves a trace online, esp if they are small time.....the interwebs are always collecting data on you..for sale..

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Had a guy do this to me in Cm, he was a brit or similar...something about a job and I needed a deposit for permits etc.....

He had a small office in the back of Kad suan kaew mall..way in the back old area..I was a newbie about a decade ago

I tracked him down online and even found his home in England--address..family..#s etc.......I contacted him and mentioned some

of these contacts to let him know I knew where to find him if he tried to not return my deposit....he wired it back to me..done and done

Pretty much everyone leaves a trace online, esp if they are small time.....the interwebs are always collecting data on you..for sale..

Do you think involving police will bring me get the money back or for 5000 THB is a waste of time? Try to contact him today but seems he blocked me on line app, but still possible on messenger but not read my messagge yet. Thank you.

Edited by Edwin81

20 hours ago, Edwin81 said:

Do you think involving police will bring me get the money back or for 5000 THB is a waste of time? Try to contact him today but seems he blocked me on line app, but still possible on messenger but not read my messagge yet. Thank you.

I had my mbike stolen once and went to the cops--they wanted $$ to find it..I said find it THEN Ill give you a tip----they didnt agree..

My thought is you pay for the service of police, which isnt guaranteed...

I would assume this scammer has done it before so Id guess ur answer lies online...,maybe ask the help of some internet sleuths to find him

maybe even the apps or sites he is scamming on could help as he is using their platform to scam..making them complicit......if no solution, learn from the lesson

The guy I tracked down to his house was only for 2000 but I have alot of time and knew who he was...easy to hide online......the web holds alot of data about all of us....

Try to screenshot anything you have left as proof.....do some online sleuthing on how to find FB contacts......see if he has FB contacts or have friends try to track him

Id say the trick isnt letting him know in to the hustle or that you are on to him.....have to play nice and gather info before he blocks you and disappears...

But alas cos LOS has no real laws is a popular place for scammers as Ive met many shady folks here........always leave a paper trail when dealing with money..traceable

On 1/27/2021 at 11:41 PM, Edwin81 said:

Simple bkk6060: I was looking for an apartment to rent and sent 5000 THB as deposit with the promise to get a receipt of the deposit in 2 days. Was chatting with a foreign male but the deposit was sent to a female Thai bank account. After 3 days told him to refund me and he agree, but he ask me many times my account but I refused to give as I was scared he can do something wrong again. I told him to get my account details where the deposit was transferred....but still nothing happens.

Never, ever send money with the expectation of getting a receipt. If you cant or they wont let you pay cash to them and get a receipt at that time then forget them, they are a scam.

Why don't you agree to meet him and get the cash from him?

Edited by Pro1Expat

On 1/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, Edwin81 said:

Who was it that said; my momma always said life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

A Forrest Gump sequel was almost made – and you'll be glad it wasn't

I will add to that, never give up your power, you just gave up baht 5,000 of it, put it down as one of life's experiences, put it behind you and move forward, you have learned one of life's experiences, life experiences will cost you every time you give up your power.

The police will probably follow up on him, if they feel it's worth pocketing your 5,000 baht.