Bangkok Bank Account, associated with foreign phone number?

I have a Bangkok Bank account connected via online Banking service that i use on and off. I live abroad since a few years back. I do not have a thai number anymore. 

I know back then, a local thai phone number was needed to be linked to the online banking service. It was not possible to use  a foreign phone number. 

Is it still like that? 

I need to do a deposit, and my concern is will the bank send out an sms to my old phone number i no longer have, saying I did a deposit (or some other information )?

1 hour ago, andApples said:

I need to do a deposit

Can you describe exactly what it is you're trying to do?

Are you trying to make some sort of international in-bound transfer?

If so, you do not need any SMS authorization. Yes, BBL will send an SMS (if enrolled) to your phone number advising you of the receipt.

At BBL, for me, changing my contact phone number required an in-person visit with passport, and multiple forms, copies, stamps, stamp, stamp....

All three major Thai mobile providers offer WiFi calling and international roaming, so assuming you have a Thai SIM, and roaming/WiFi, you can receive BBL SMSes.

I don't know for sure but suspect the BBL mobile banking app might not function outside of Thailand, or if it could be spoofed with a VPN.

Just now, Kildonan said:

I use Transferwise,,, foreign currency into my BKK act, in less than one hour, in normal working days. Beware Thai hols, which TW will advise at the time. 

Foreign currency converted at above, or at mid mkt rate, to Thai baht. 

8 hours ago, kralledr said:

YEs a thai phone nr is still needed

Thanks for all the answers.

Annoying they won't allow international phone number.  As I do not have my thai phone number anymore and still need to use my bank account.

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you describe exactly what it is you're trying to do?

Are you trying to make some sort of international in-bound transfer?

If so, you do not need any SMS authorization. Yes, BBL will send an SMS (if enrolled) to your phone number advising you of the receipt.

At BBL, for me, changing my contact phone number required an in-person visit with passport, and multiple forms, copies, stamps, stamp, stamp....

All three major Thai mobile providers offer WiFi calling and international roaming, so assuming you have a Thai SIM, and roaming/WiFi, you can receive BBL SMSes.

I don't know for sure but suspect the BBL mobile banking app might not function outside of Thailand, or if it could be spoofed with a VPN.

Yes, transfer money from abroad. 

Which bank is BBL?

So if I am using Transferwise an SMS will notify the new owner of my old phone number, that was what I was afraid of. Not good.

And maybe they can even request to reset my login information once they know I have a bank account linked to my old phone number.

Edited by andApples

34 minutes ago, andApples said:

So if I am using Transferwise an SMS will notify the new owner of my old phone number, that was what I was afraid of. Not good.

I have never received a text message from Transferwise that a deposit has been made, and with BBL (Bangkok Bank Limited) it's an optional service.  If it's enabled you should be able to switch it off online.

Or just ignore her when she asks why you're sending money here.

6 hours ago, treetops said:

I have never received a text message from Transferwise that a deposit has been made, and with BBL (Bangkok Bank Limited) it's an optional service.  If it's enabled you should be able to switch it off online.

I don't know who has my old phone number, and the owner of the phone number doesn't know about me either.

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

When was the last time you checked your Thai bank A/C?. Check still current before depositing any further monies & arrange for someone to make a transaction every 3 months or check balance.

Where is the bank book ?

I check and withdraw from it every now and then as I still have some money there, however, I haven't transferred any money to the account in many years, and now I need to do it.

Not sure exactly where I have the bank book at the moment.

Do I need to keep it active within  3 months in order to not becoming dormant?

Edited by andApples

15 hours ago, treetops said:

absolutely not! I said ''for buying bank stocks'' and they wanted a list of shareholders, then laughed and hung up. In other works they know FA. Say/write on the transfer request at the sending bank ''purpose of funds is to pay living expenses in Thailand''.

With Bangkok Bank (I can't speak for other banks) you have to have a Thai mobile number to, for example, pay new people. A bit late now, but get a Thai SIM  card (pay as you go) and put it in your phone. Top it up with https://mobiletopup.com/.  (That's why I ALWAYS get dual-SIM phones now ???? 

One thing I have noticed with BBL that payees I have regularly used (e.g. my wife) I can make a payment WITHOUT getting a OTP from your Thai SIM card mobile phone.

BUT they clear their history after six months so payees I sent money to a year ago are now GONE so I have to re-authorise them, via OTP and Thai SIM.

Also useless if you want to pay someone new, you have to go through the OTP process to authorise it.

You have to show a passport (nothing else) to get a Pay as you Go Thai SIM card. As I say, not much comfort if you're not there - maybe somebody can do it for you (with a Thai ID card)  and post it to you?