Thailand ranked number 4 in the world for handling the covid pandemic.

Natai Beach

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

The  first very contagious strain was discovered in the UK but it's by no means certain it originated there.It was discovered because the UK is the world leader in genome sequencing of viruses and has provided the majority of information to the world database.It untrue to suggest the UK did nothing.It immediately passed on the new information.Don't talk on subjects on which you are ignorant please.

It is true that the UK's record in managing the virus is poor but it's absurd to compare with countries like New Zealand.Or rather by all means compare but be aware of the differences that make facile comparisons useless.UK's biggest failure - other than government dithering - was not to have closed down borders for a period.Also critical is the UK's obesity crisis tied into hypertension, diabetes and heart issues.I'm sceptical of the systemic racism bandwagon but clearly ethnic minorities (Afro- Caribbean and South Asian in particular) have been very badly hit.

You must be from the UK? 

World leader in sequencing of viruses? Hasn’t really helped much. 

Not sure how you claim that the UK is the world leader. Sounds like something Boris would say. 
Looks like Iceland is well ahead of the UK to me.

https://www.sciencealert.com/iceland-tracks-and-contains-covid-19-by-genetically-sequencing-every-positive-case

The information I have is it most likely originated in Kent. It would be good if they could trace it back to the first patient. 

I remember the Chinese used the same argument last year.

Anyway. How good is Thailand!!!

• Sad 2

Thailand did well in fighting Covid, however they let down people affected by closing down Tourism Industry. Very little help for this people from the government. I guess you would find Thailand on the other side of the ranking in this regard.

I guess they think all this people are just monkeys, so giving them peanuts is enough.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Step by step, the first objective was to limit the contagion and consequently the victims.
In this regard the statistics are overwhelming for the West, UK for example:
               Thailand           UK
Case       16211              3715054

Death            76                 101887

Thailand took drastic measures very quickly at the start of the pandemic. Containment, border closures, temperature control, Quarantine, masks.

I remember how much these actions were mocked last year on this forum, as were the controversies over the usefulness of masks. Today we know the result and it is overwhelming. Thailand has well, very well done and in any case better than our native country.

Having avoided the health emergency no doubt that they will manage to vaccinate the population without haste, more hindsight on the different protocols.

We, mostly old and therefore more at risk, must remain humble and thank them for efficiency.

For those of us comfortable here in Thailand with a pension or business where money is not such a large problem then yes thats fine. Measures in Thailand have been drastic yes to contain the virus but its also damaged peoples lives particularly those in the tourism sector and related industries. Economically Thailand needs to get out of this mess quickly. The only way is through vaccination and an effective vaccination plan, not the constantly changing narrative we are being given at present.

Please do not try to tell me that 50,000 doses, enough for 25,000 people starting from 14th Feb is an effective plan. The government have already said they do not even intend vaccinating the general public until Jan 2022.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, congratulations on testing the same qty's per million as Uganda, Zimbabwee, Senegal and Ethiopia. 

Good job ? Shameful more like

76 deaths in Thailand, great job.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

You must be from the UK? 

World leader in sequencing of viruses? Hasn’t really helped much. 

Not sure how you claim that the UK is the world leader. Sounds like something Boris would say. 
Looks like Iceland is well ahead of the UK to me.

https://www.sciencealert.com/iceland-tracks-and-contains-covid-19-by-genetically-sequencing-every-positive-case

The information I have is it most likely originated in Kent. It would be good if they could trace it back to the first patient. 

I remember the Chinese used the same argument last year.

Anyway. How good is Thailand!!!

You seem to be completely out of your depth.

For others that are interested please see the New York Times editorial below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/opinion/coronavirus-uk-strain.html

• Like 2

And here lies the problem with having a central database of inoculation records.  Nearly 100 countries missing from the list.  So we have  a 95% effective vaccine, travellers forging documentation and only 50% take up in monitoring the figures.

What the flip have the WHO being doing for the last 10 months? Still going to be a long haul with this if there's no cohesive world plan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DaLa said:

And here lies the problem with having a central database of inoculation records.  Nearly 100 countries missing from the list.  So we have  a 95% effective vaccine, travellers forging documentation and only 50% take up in monitoring the figures.

What the flip have the WHO being doing for the last 10 months? Still going to be a long haul with this if there's no cohesive world plan.

If you visit the link you can add more countries to it, its inter active

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Edited by Bkk Brian

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is the only chart that matters currently, the only way the world ends the pandemic, not contain it for years to come, I look forward to seeing Thailand on there when they actually start.

Share-of-people-who-received-at-least-one-dose-of-COVID-19-vaccine-Jan-27-2021.png

Surely getting the virus under control is the number one priority and Thailand has clearly excelled in that regard. Once the current flare up is over, as I'm sure it will be soon, they can then vaccinate more or less at their leisure.

There's no need to rush when the virus is not rampant in the community.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Surely getting the virus under control is the number one priority and Thailand has clearly excelled in that regard. Once the current flare up is over, as I'm sure it will be soon, they can then vaccinate more or less at their leisure.

There's no need to rush when the virus is not rampant in the community.

Its a tandem process no? Get it under control and get it ended. Vaccinating at their leisure? Well that certainly seems to be the current approach for Thailand

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its a tandem process no? Get it under control and get it ended. Vaccinating at their leisure? Well that certainly seems to be the current approach for Thailand

It would be a tandem process if the vaccines were available, but they're not. Thailand is not being tardy  in this regard. The vaccines simply aren't there. By the way I trust you keep up with the news in the western world. The EU for instance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It would be a tandem process if the vaccines were available, but they're not. Thailand is not being tardy  in this regard. The vaccines simply aren't there. By the way I trust you keep up with the news in the western world. The EU for instance!

They are not here because Thailand dragged its feet even turning away 2 million from India.

"Anutin explained that both the Public Health Ministry and the National Vaccine Institute have been dragging their feet over the procurement COVID-19 vaccines for Thai people"

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-health-ministers-clarification-of-thailands-covid-19-vaccine-deal/

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2