Pattaya: "Beautiful and impressive" Walking Street promised as cable burying commences Monday

webfact

How long is Walking Street ? From the start all the way to Bali Hai ? The mayor says it'll be completed this year, I somehow doubt that, I don't have a reason why (and it's not a bash) but having seen the debacle of the drainage pipes on Beach Road and first phase of the new drains on SSCC a few years back that bankrupted a few businesses I don't have a lot of faith left anymore.

Any thoughts anyone ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:
D-Day has finally arrived for the beginning of the beautification of one of Pattaya's foremost nighttime areas - Walking Street.
The Facebook page of the city council said that the street will no longer have any hanging wires. Work to bury cables will start on February first.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Surely that must be double D-Day. We're undoubtedly in double figures regarding the number of times we've been told about burying cables. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also double figures regarding the number of years since they started spouting this stuff.

Being cynical, surely everyone on the council must have a BMW by now, judging by the amount spent on the project every year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Packs of them on Prahtamnak walking path this morning. Excuse the poor quality. I was getting past quickly.

20210128_060318.jpg

buy balls, you will do better photos...

how ridiculous to be scared by such small things.

I face them every night and never felt threatened.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

They did this in lower Sukhumvit, my cable TV gone, never to be replaced, the owner of the cable Company said he lost over 2 million in cable salvage alone at the price of copper.

Someone here makes a small fortune.

They will make the place so sterile that it will become boring

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JoePai said:

When they knock down all the illegal buildings on the side facing the sea, they can build a nice promenade…..?

It has the potential to look really good there.... but with a great view would come pressure to build taking advantage of it. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, JoePai said:

When they knock down all the illegal buildings on the side facing the sea, they can build a nice promenade…..?

Promenades are free to use.  That's not what Walking Street / Pattaya / Thailand is about for their tourism industry.

Edited by Leaver

On 1/28/2021 at 2:56 PM, webfact said:
141984231_1549814738543189_4665440794482407889_n.jpg
File photo: Pattaya Update News

Soooooo, they are going to bury the cables under the middle of the road instead of under the pavements like every other buried cable on the planet ( that I'm aware of ). However  I'm sure they will do such a perfect job that they never have to dig the road up to fix problems. After all, it's Pattaya and what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, webfact said:
Pattaya: "Beautiful and impressive" Walking Street promised as cable burying commences Monday

4.jpg
File photo: Manager

D-Day has finally arrived for the beginning of the beautification of one of Pattaya's foremost nighttime areas - Walking Street.

The Facebook page of the city council said that the street will no longer have any hanging wires. Work to bury cables will start on February first.

Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem chaired a meeting for people in the area so that everyone was on the same page regarding the work.

141984231_1549814738543189_4665440794482407889_n.jpg
File photo: Pattaya Update News

Though it has been much delayed by technical matters the mayor was adamant that it would be completed this year.

Electrical engineer Thanu Surachaisikhawit wanted everyone to understand that there would be a need to install a big box and this might create some inconvenience. 

143218644_1549814685209861_352063213957597718_n.jpg
File photo: Pattaya Update News

Sontaya said that the work will make Walking Street beautiful and impressive for visitors.

At present Thaivisa notes that there are no visitors and the street is a complete mess so it appears that the only way is up.

Anybody wanna take bets on how quickly another agency will come along and dig up a section of the new underground wiring? And possibly because the other agencies don't know what's been buried and how close etc., it is to water mains etc., because there's no overall master recording of this event? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 3:11 AM, Phuketshrew said:

You beat me to it - that's exactly what I was going to say!

Ilegal buildings? Are you out to cross some owners there? If you want to see the sea you can walk back to the beach near Mike mall. Granted, those private terraces are pretty great an amenity for restaurant owners, but they were no different from those I ve seen in Sala Dan on Koh Lanta. Also, all the fun streets in Thailand (that I know off) are very animated with foodstalls and even some shows on both sides, such as in Khaosan. I heard that street is dead now, though.  I want tourism to come back to Thailand, with the same kind of backpackers which made my experience there so great, not only Chinese package tours and luxury ASQ hotels.

1 hour ago, altayvan said:

Illegal buildings? Are you out to cross some owners there? If you want to see the sea you can walk back to the beach near Mike mall. Granted, those private terraces are pretty great an amenity for restaurant owners,

Suggest you do some research before commenting that the 101 illegally built buildings along the beach are legitimately owned "private terraces". The illegal operators of these eyesores have for been coining it in for years whilst polluting the sea with raw sewage. 

• Like 1