Told that Pink I.D card is compulsory for next extension.

Was stopped in the street by 3 armed Immigration Officers, who were just coming out of a hotel presumably from an inspection of guests particulars, and I guess they thought I was going in to the hotel and not just walking by.

Was requested to produce my passport, as it was at home I produced a copy of it (face page & latest stamp with TM6 no included), my pink card and my Thai driving license.

The latter two were handed back with the comment that they mean nothing to us.

The copy of the passport was examined and I was informed that I should carry my passport at all times, as copies  cannot be accepted as proof of who I am.

With that comment, and after answering a few questions about where I live, where I was going, etc., the copy was handed back and I was allowed to go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The house book and pink ID card have nothing to do with immigration, either you understood something wrong or the IO just told you something wrong.

That would not be a first, years ago I was told by an irate IO that they did not really do extensions there and to go to Suan Phlu immigration office office in Bkk, where I did not even live at the time!

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

I have inquired twice over the years about a yellow book and the local amphur insists 'not for farang'. They issue thousands of yellow books and pink ids for the many migrant workers in the area.

I guess no yellow book means no pink id card ever, hope they never ask me for one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Wife went to the Amphur to change her ID (we’d moved house). While at the Amphur office my wife enquired of the Yellow Book and Pink ID card.

The Amphur officer first said there is no such thing, then when my Wife pressed, was told its not for ‘farangs’ its only for Immigrant labourers. My Wife called me, I asked her to press further. 

During the discussion my Wife showed the Amphur officer a copy of my Visa and was told that my Visa is not a real visa that type of visa doesn’t exist !!!!! (comical) - my Wife pressed the issue further, the Amphur officer had to ask her supervisor. My Wife eventually achieved the goal of getting an appointment and a list of documents needed for the Yellow house book. 

To summarise - A lot of people in a lot of positions have no idea of the regulations when its something they don’t deal with on a daily basis. As such when an enquiry is made ‘cannot’ is the answer usually offered as a means to the path of least resistance towards doing as little work as possible. Politely press the issue some more and you usually get what you want - it just takes patience. 

My wife was also keen for me to have these documents. She eventually enlisted the aid of our Phu Yai Ban who shook a few trees and got things moving for us.

It obviously proves difficult for even married guys to get them. For a single person it must be nigh impossible.

Which is why I thought, right from the start, that this 'false news'.

Edited by Moonlover

49 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Was stopped in the street by 3 armed Immigration Officers, who were just coming out of a hotel presumably from an inspection of guests particulars, and I guess they thought I was going in to the hotel and not just walking by.

Was requested to produce my passport, as it was at home I produced a copy of it (face page & latest stamp with TM6 no included), my pink card and my Thai driving license.

The copy of the passport was examined and I was informed that I should carry my passport at all times, as copies  cannot be accepted as proof of who I am.

With that comment, and after answering a few questions about where I live, where I was going, etc., the copy was handed back and I was allowed to go.

when did this happen?

15 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Where was this ?

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

me too. never been asked although the pink card was handy when i was hospitalized in a new govt hospital that i had never used before.

also forgot to say ,it was no problem getting one here in Pattaya ,yellow book or pink card that is , the wife sugested i get one and she did all the talking ,i just sat there and smiled.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know I will get the "get a pink colored I.D. card" comments from the usual suspects here, which I will ignore, but I am asking for confirmation that this is not needed according to the written law here. 

Despite my experience several years ago of Jomtien Immigration refusing the acknowledge the yellow book or pink ID card as proof of residential address in Thailand, I understand that the laws as they are published do allow the individual immigration officer to request "any other documentation" that they deem necessary. This is typically with regard to financial providence, photos and the like but unfortunately it does seem that at least one Khon Kaen IO has a wild hair up his ass on this ID thing.

YMMV

• Like 1