Told that Pink I.D card is compulsory for next extension.

29 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Saying nobody will accept it is not correct.  Its wrong and it needs to be corrected.

Last week I checked into a local Hotel for a couple of nights. They asked for my passport and I handed them my Thai ID instead. They were perfectly happy with that.

I am not saying thou that is a reason to get an ID,  ... just the contrary ... I would say you do not need it.  BUT I am also saying some organisations DO accept it in lieu of a passport.

lucky you! i have never had anyone accept mine yet ????

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2021 at 9:26 AM, Captain Monday said:

Are you in Khon Kaen?

He may not be, but I am and have been for 20 years.  I have never been asked for the ID card or yellow tabien baan in all my years of dealing with immigration at Khon Kaen nor before they opened dealing with Nong Khai.

I use Khon Kaen immigrations also. Did my annual extension for marriage in November with all the correct documents, the wife was with me. In and out of the office within 40 min'ish. Always used the two ladies in the middle always very helpful with information. I have never had anything mentioned about producing Id card or yellow book. 

In November, the immigration officer told my wife for next time. Don't print out your photos, just take new ones and keep on your phone. But i will still print out the photos in case.

There seems to have been a change of personnel last year. Early last year the small guy IO, Who sat at the end has been missing ( he was the joker) he was always pleasant to talk to and had fun with. He liked to talk with the foreigner. 

From experience at KK. If you dress smart. Have the correct documents ( you can download from their website and print out) keep it handy, and be polite. You should not have any problems.  Its a good idea to download the official website list, just in case you are ask for extra and show them the list.

Always had a pleasant experience at KK

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

Same as some accept driving license. Your passport number is on your driving license

Some people here seem to be confused about the use of  Pink ID card and a Yellow book.

An ID card is exactly that (for both Thais and the pink version for foreigners) while a  Tabien baan is simply proof of your registered address (again the Blue version for Thais while the yellow version is for foreigners).

They are not interchangeable. You can't use an ID card for proof of address and, likewise, you can't use a Tabien baan as proof of ID.

If you use both your Pink ID card AND yellow book when applying for/renewing your Thai driving licence (instead of using your passport and a residence certificate) as a Thai National does, you will find your passport number is NOT printed on your driving licence. Instead it shows your Thai ID number, the same as is shown on on your Pink ID card and yellow book.

Had Pink ID for a while now. A year back I could say wherever I wanted to use it, it was refused.

That changed last year. Now I could use Pink ID to open bank account, internet service, mobile contract, etc. Interesting development.

However to get a Pink ID you have to be entered into tabien baan (blue or yellow). Many foreigners aren't and would find it hard to get entered if renting a place. This could be a challenge for many.

14 hours ago, lungbing said:

He may not be, but I am and have been for 20 years.  I have never been asked for the ID card or yellow tabien baan in all my years of dealing with immigration at Khon Kaen nor before they opened dealing with Nong Khai.

I am in Khon Kaen, and have been for 15 years, I also dealt with Nong Khai before Immigration opened here.

The reason for the OP was that I also have never been asked for it before, but this week he categorically stated that no extension will be given next year without a pink I.D. card.  

13 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am in Khon Kaen, and have been for 15 years, I also dealt with Nong Khai before Immigration opened here.

The reason for the OP was that I also have never been asked for it before, but this week he categorically stated that no extension will be given next year without a pink I.D. card.  

It makes no sense though.

Although the pink ID card has your Thai ID number, it's serves no purpose for Immigration.

You enter Thailand using your International Passport and it is those details that are uploaded to their systems and continue to be used for any related procedures at Immigration.

They can't put stamps on a pink ID card.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:53 AM, ChakaKhan said:

KK was the easiest extension Ive ever done...Im a single dude as well and never was i asked for this......maybe she was new on the job, or tried to see if you had a brown envelope! ????

I doubt the OP confused the sex of the IO.

" he then told me that next year I will not be granted the extension without such a card ! "

I'll bet you never dealt with the lady at desk #4 next to the window  in the former KK immigration office.

15 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

But also not a bad idea!

Don't agree.

It's an absolute terrible idea to force applicants for a 1-year extension of stay to get a pink ID-card.

For most that would mean having to go their Embassy to get a stamped copy of their passport, and having that one officially translated at the MFA.  Because that's what most amphurs are requiring when applying for the pink ID-card.

And as @Tanoshi  already mentioned, it does not make any sense at all - just adding more useless red tape to the immigration process for 1-year extensions.

I suspect it was a junior Imm officer that made that statement and it will be quickly forgotten.

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's not that he started ignoring you.

It's just that he can't communicate in English at an intermediate level, that's why he started talking with your wife using Thai.

I have found that most Thai's English is only at an elementary grade 1 level limited to broken words.

Try imagining you trying to speak to a Thai who can't speak any English using Thai language at intermediate level...You will be at a loss for words.

Many foreigners don't understand this and lose their cool. I've seen this situation at many banks and immigration office all the time.

No, he was just being a dic*. This IO has processed all of my previous extensions and his  comprehension and speaking of English has never been an issue before.     

As soon as he told me I needed to get an Income Letter from the US Embassy, which haven't been available for well over a year, I knew he was making things up.                                                                         When he reject my bank deposit statement printout, in the same format as last year, that reinforced my opinion of him.                                                                                                                                   After the bank manager intervein on my behalf, he had no more excuses not to approve my extension.                                                                                                                                                                     Not coming out of the office again and having an interns hand me my passport confirms my personal assessment.                                                                                                      

40 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

No, he was just being a dic*. This IO has processed all of my previous extensions and his  comprehension and speaking of English has never been an issue before.     

As soon as he told me I needed to get an Income Letter from the US Embassy, which haven't been available for well over a year, I knew he was making things up.                                                                         When he reject my bank deposit statement printout, in the same format as last year, that reinforced my opinion of him.                                                                                                                                   After the bank manager intervein on my behalf, he had no more excuses not to approve my extension.                                                                                                                                                                     Not coming out of the office again and having an interns hand me my passport confirms my personal assessment.                                                                                                      

The brown envelope submission was definitely missing from your application.

The corrupt ones will always try it on with the unsuspecting or clueless.

Returning from the UK, I noticed another foreigner on the same local flight to Roi Et.

Coincidently, the following morning I was next in queue behind the same foreigner, both of us filing a new TM30 (no longer required). The IO stated he'd have to issue a fine for not filing on the same day of his return,  which the other foreigner didn't question, until I stuck my nose in and told the IO to check their requirements because they stated within 24 hours, not same day.

I wasn't having him trying to pull the same stunt on me.

If looks could kill, I'd be dead!

On 29/01/2021 at 11:03 AM, foreverlomsak said:

A few years ago the Head of the Royal Thai Police made a statement to the effect that foreigners in Bangkok were not expected to carry their passports on them. I have not seen any Immigration endorsement of that policy, for Bangkok or anywhere else.

Also I don't know if there are different rules for permanent expats (I assume you mean Residency Permit Holders) vs expats on "1 Year Extensions of Stay".

I was talking about 1 year extension of stay. Permanent residency would mean you have a thai passport, and I dont think the rule would apply.

40 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Permanent residency would mean you have a thai passport, and I dont think the rule would apply.

Only citizens of Thailand can have a Thai passport. Those with permanent residency are not citizens.

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Although as you say not a requirement i'm wondering if they are looking at changing the house visits.

I did my 1st marriage extension in november there and never received a house visit,have yellow book and id card but also live in the boondocks.

Do you live in KK city?

2 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

What do foriegners have if granted permanent  residency?

They get a residency certificate. They are registered in a blue house book. They can stay as long as they want to without needing extensions or leaving the country. No 90 day or TM 30 reports are needed and etc.

Technically they do not even need a valid passport to stay in the country as well.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They get a residency certificate. They are registered in a blue house book. They can stay as long as they want to without needing extensions or leaving the country. No 90 day or TM 30 reports are needed and etc.

Technically they do not even need a valid passport to stay in the country as well.

Thanks, now I know, cheers

On 1/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, colinneil said:

Very confusing post, very confusing, opened 8 years ago? I have been going there longer than that.

Very helpful???? depends who you get, 2 ladies in there extremely helpful, the rest the complete opposite.

Apologies for the confusing post, if you read my post I did actually say ABOUT, in any case to be precise, and clarify, I had my last visit to NongKhai for extension on July 27 2009, and the next Aug 3 2010 in KhonKaen at the newly opened office, still about eight yrs ago plus or minus a bit. In those days we also had to do 90 day reporting at NongKhai

The purpose os saying about eight years was to demonstrate I had been there more than once, thus validating my experience was long term, and I stand by my original statement they have always all been very fair although a little nit picking

We always go well dressed and in Thai silk, amazingly I think this helps, and we treat them like they the kings , which on their own territory they are, and lets not forget there is something somewhere that says local officer has full discretion, or closely to that effect, I know one can appeal but lets stay away from that, we also avoid quoting the rules to them, smiles and more smiles Thai style,  work very well for us

Thank You KhonKaen Immigration

On 2/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Not wanting to be cynical - but they may also have additional income tax filing requirements (as a resident) which retired (not employed) non-immigrants (who are not considered an official resident) do not have such income tax filing requirements. ... If one's only income (from abroad) comes from countries with tax agreements with Thailand, this may not be an issue - but Thailand does not have tax agreements with all countires  ... Of course I could be wrong here in regard to my 'tax' cautions - but I suspect tax could be a residency consideration.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:42 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

The right to stay permanently, and we have seen changes in retirement extensions, and I think requirements for medical insurance and changes on the cash  held here .

I am on marriage extensions and so far no requirement for medical insurance, if it were imposed I would not be able to stay due to being medically uninsurable, permanent residency would remove these uncertainties, a pretty horrific thought as this is my only home at 76 yrs old and not medically well

However for me the obtaining of permanent residency I would find difficult and frustrating so leave it on one side, I think there is a Thai language requirement as well

As a retired  UK Chartered Accountant I am pretty sure there are no detrimental tax implications of permanent residency

Archived