Australia Partner Visa: Can I apply half way through a Tourist Visa application?

My girlfriends Tourist visa was nearly finish back in April 2020 where we applied for a new one. Due to Covid-19, they put her on a bridging A visa. They are asking us for a police check and a medical done within the next month for the Tourst visa to be completed. I wish to apply for an Australian Partner visa where my question is, do I still need to get the police check and medical done? Will she automatically be upgraded to an Australian Partner Visa?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, organicman said:

My girlfriends Tourist visa was nearly finish back in April 2020 where we applied for a new one. Due to Covid-19, they put her on a bridging A visa. They are asking us for a police check and a medical done within the next month for the Tourst visa to be completed. I wish to apply for an Australian Partner visa where my question is, do I still need to get the police check and medical done? Will she automatically be upgraded to an Australian Partner Visa?

Your best bet is to Google

Do you know how difficult it is to get one (harder in Auss then off shore ) & have a spare $10,000 + 

She is your girlfriend so would need to prove Defacto relationship of years

Do you have the funds to support her for 2yrs

You need to check on Bridging visa conditions as there are 3 types

People usually get married first

Document example - Full schooling history & work - many many more & to translate (since in Auss they may not take your translated Docs from Thailand ) 

11 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Your best bet is to Google

Do you know how difficult it is to get one (harder in Auss then off shore ) & have a spare $10,000 + 

She is your girlfriend so would need to prove Defacto relationship of years

Do you have the funds to support her for 2yrs

You need to check on Bridging visa conditions as there are 3 types

People usually get married first

Document example - Full schooling history & work - many many more & to translate (since in Auss they may not take your translated Docs from Thailand ) 

I tried a Duckduckgo search and I even called Australian Immigration but they weren't unhelpful.

I'm an Australian citizen where she has been coming to Australia and living with me for the last 4-5 years. The last tourist visa, they said it's best to apply for partner visa next time cause she has been given about 5-6 tourist visa to live with me in Australia. I know it does cost $8,000 but what do you mean a spare $10,000+? I'm not a fan of marriage.

Is it really hard to get?? I know many immigrants that never had a problem getting it where it takes 1-2 years. I think it would be easier for me cause I've been an Australian citzen (born and raised here).

3 minutes ago, organicman said:

I'm an Australian citizen where she has been coming to Australia and living with me for the last 4-5 years. The last tourist visa, they said it's best to apply for partner visa next time cause she has been given about 5-6 tourist visa to live with me in Australia. I know it does cost $8,000 but what do you mean a spare $10,000+?

Is it really hard to get?? I know many immigrants that never had a problem getting it where it takes 1-2 years. I think it would be easier for me cause I've been an Australian citzen (born and raised here).

Thanks for telling your story

The $10,000 is a figure that includes the the Visa cost & (as you know ) the cost of gathering Docs /translations/ ect

So you can prove relationship & they suggested Partener visa so I would be going for it as this may be the reason for the bridging visa as i once read that you have to apply for Partener visa prior to the expiry of the Tourist visa - then you end up on a Bridging visa whilst the Partener visa is being processed 

23 hours ago, organicman said:

As your girlfriend is on a bridging visa A, I assume she doesn't have 8503 condition on her visa.

If she hasn't, just lodge an 820 application instead of the tourist visa.

If you haven't done health and character tests with 15 or 18 months, you will need to provide them.

She will stay on a bridging visa until while the application is being processed.

A lot of info is here:

https://www.glitf.org/pdfs/booklet.pdf

Thanks for the feedback!

Page 12 of 820 visa:

Applicant's Immediate Family Members

Does the applicant have any parents, siblings or children including those that are deceased?

She has 2 children in Thailand and a mother, father is dead. Do i put No here or Yes? If I put No it ask for a reason. If i put Yes, it ask the following for each family member. Each have never been to Australia and live in Thailand.

Immigration status

Australian immigration status

1 hour ago, organicman said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Page 12 of 820 visa:

Does the applicant have any parents, siblings or children including those that are deceased?

She has 2 children in Thailand and a mother, father is dead. Do i put No here or Yes? If I put No it ask for a reason. If i put Yes, it ask the following for each family member. Each have never been to Australia and live in Thailand.

Immigration status

Yep

You answer yes.

Does not matter where they live.

You must be prepared to provide a truck load of documents.

Might be hard with her being in Oz.

52 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Yep

You answer yes.

Hello Will

Am keeping an eye on this thread

So you could say that they may require a copy of all the families ID cards & then have them translated 

Talking about translations would it be true in saying that since your applying in Auss they shall need to be done here OR would they except translations you have had done in Thailand & verified by the MFA (the big green stamp )

Very expensive to have done in Auss

I know of a woman who had to come back to Thai for documents 

I,m looking at an Agent (not cheap) , like an each way bet as if you get something wrong / ect ect you don't get that $8000 back

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yep

You answer yes.

They are in Thailand, the options I have are

Australian immigration status:

Australian Citizen

Permanent Resident

Temporary Resident

Visitor

Student

Other

This confuses me cause they are in Thailand and have no Australian status.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Talking about translations would it be true in saying that since your applying in Auss they shall need to be done here OR would they except translations you have had done in Thailand

I never had to translate any documents for travel visas. I'll call Australian Home Affairs on Monday and ask about this. 

I found this, 

https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/84002-partner-visa-subclass-820-application-checklist-suggestions-thoughts.html

If anyone else has a good guide online that would be great if they can share!

2 minutes ago, organicman said:

How much does an agent cost and is there one in Thailand? 

first i will answer this

Your GF is in Auss on a Bridging Visa so she has to apply inside Auss (is she planning to bring kids out ) - more complicated

As for Q 12 the Immi status would be Other (Thai ) as they were born in Thailand

I'm amazed you weren't asked for translations 

Immi agent $4000 or so in Auss (of course cheaper in Thailand ) but since GF in Auss you must do here 

That's the best to my knowledge so far  - Auss wording of forms can be difficult 

One gov mob kept asking for my wifes Tax Number (she has nothing to do with Auss - but you have to answer the ? to keep going forward, so had to go in personally to try & get it through their heads 

If you need an agent depends on your experience with forms. Really each question is fairly easy but as a whole it can seem overwhelming. At the end of the day it will you doing the leg work to get the forms etc that are required but the agent may give you confidence.

I did it myself and it was fine.

In the big picture it's about having ID of various forms. much of which you provided for the tourist visa, and proving your relationship.

If she's been here many times and you have photos of her with you and with your family and you with hers and proof of contact when you weren't together it's not hard. Just takes time and patience. 

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If you need an agent depends on your experience with forms. Really each question is fairly easy but as a whole it can seem overwhelming. At the end of the day it will you doing the leg work to get the forms etc that are required but the agent may give you confidence.

I did it myself and it was fine.

In the big picture it's about having ID of various forms. much of which you provided for the tourist visa, and proving your relationship.

If she's been here many times and you have photos of her with you and with your family and you with hers and proof of contact when you weren't together it's not hard. Just takes time and patience. 

Do you know of a guide that I can follow? I'm looking around the net at present for a good one where I'll be doing it myself. 

Just now, organicman said:

Do you know of a guide that I can follow? I'm looking around the net at present for a good one where I'll be doing it myself. 

I don't know of a guide though there are forums like this were people may discuss it.

The way I did it was with my Thai partner in Thailand and I had a lot of contact with vfs which you probably dealt with for the tourist visa.

If I was you I would just think about what you want i.e. defacto or marriage then use the website that has a pretty good step by step guide to get the correct forms. Then if it helps you could call the immigration line to make sure you are on the right track.

Then just look at the forms with your spouse and take it step by step making a note of stuff you don't have. If you have specific issues you can always call vfs or immigration in Australia. 

As I said the ID part was a bit tricky getting and it may be a bit hard for you if she is here but maybe you have it all for the Tourist visa. You have to list family members and probably get a bit more ID but that's not too bad.

Then you just need to gather evidence of your relationship.. I downloaded the whole Line conversation, a bit embarrassing in parts but it is good, and had lots of photos.  Not too much detail but not to little. I put it in sections with headings. For example:

I stayed with her in Koh Chang in February for three weeks and then spent two nights with her family in Ubon. See photos attached as Photo 1 and Photo 2 and booking Document 1 for hotel for that trip. For nine months we were apart but I was in daily contact as per the attached summary of the Line app. I sent her some funds for financial support as per Document 2. She came to Australia in November and we travelled to Queensland and spent time with my family. See photos 3 and 4 attached.   

2019 etc

The thing to remember is there is a  public servant who'll be checking your forms - make their job easy  with complete forms and it's not too bad. 

57 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

first i will answer this

Your GF is in Auss on a Bridging Visa so she has to apply inside Auss (is she planning to bring kids out ) - more complicated

As for Q 12 the Immi status would be Other (Thai ) as they were born in Thailand

I'm amazed you weren't asked for translations 

Immi agent $4000 or so in Auss (of course cheaper in Thailand ) but since GF in Auss you must do here 

That's the best to my knowledge so far  - Auss wording of forms can be difficult 

One gov mob kept asking for my wifes Tax Number (she has nothing to do with Auss - but you have to answer the ? to keep going forward, so had to go in personally to try & get it through their heads 

I find that amazing.

What agency was asking for your wife's TFN and what for?

4 hours ago, organicman said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Page 12 of 820 visa:

Immigration status

Does she want to include the kids in the application or will they be staying in Thailand?

19 minutes ago, organicman said:

They will be staying in Thailand. Which answer should I choose?

That question has already been answered.

I thought in an earlier thread you said she had no kids.

Looking at your posting history, I think you should really be getting an agent TBH.

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

That question had already been answered.

Looking at your posting history, I think you should really be getting an agent TBH.

Most people do it themselves where it gets approved. All the forums I read so far are saying it's not hard, just make sure you included everything. Worst case scenario, I'll contact my bank and get my money back (has never failed me where I got my money back for a refused travel visa years ago for my ex). 

The question has not been answered cause I just read the this forum 3 more times. People said yes but these options come up when you choose yes.

Australian Citizen

Permanent Resident

Temporary Resident

Visitor

Student

Other

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

That question had already been answered.

Still thinking about getting one

OH make sure it's an agent & not Immi Lawyer

I just made first contact with one (fell off the chair with reply )

He wanted $275 for first Consultation (lets say an hour or so ) - He must be charging as a Lawyer not an Agent

My case is a bit different as I still have to get Wife/Son here

But need to withdraw the 2 visa applications in limbo & apply only for Wife with an exemption application

15 minutes ago, organicman said:

Most people do it themselves where it gets approved. All the forums I read so far are saying it's not hard, just make sure you included everything. Worst case scenario, I'll contact my bank and get my money back (has never failed me where I got my money back for a refused travel visa years ago for my ex). 

The question has not been answered cause I just read the this forum 3 more times. People said yes but these options come up when you choose yes.

Australian Citizen

Permanent Resident

Temporary Resident

Visitor

Student

Other

what happens if you enter "other"

23 minutes ago, organicman said:

Australian Citizen

Permanent Resident

Temporary Resident

Visitor

Student

Other

Once paid, you will not receive a refund for a partner visa application - end of. I have assisted Thai Australian citizen friends in Australia with obtaining a partner visa; it's not difficult, just have to be disciplined with answering questions. If you're not comfortable with managing online paperwork and bureaucracy, though expensive, utilise a licenced immigration agent.

I think it is easier if she is applying for a partnership visa in Australia. I assume she is not applying at this stage to bring her kids to Australia.

You just have to work through all the questions on the form, one by one. It may take up to a month to collect all the documents. The main prrof is that you and she have been, and will remain, in a committed de facto relation for at least 3 years. As other have mentioned, you need evidence that you have lived together (letters addressed jointly to you at the same address, bank accounts showing the same address, record of phone calls to each other etc).

You can always submit supplementary information once you have your original application accepted (e.g. if it will take some time to get supporting documents).

Once the application has been made, and accepted, she will be put on a bridging visa (with the same conditions and benefits as the partner visa for which she is applying) until a decision is made on her visa. 

53 minutes ago, organicman said:

Australian Citizen

Permanent Resident

Temporary Resident

Visitor

Student

Other

Bevup answered "other" previously.

It usually states "If in Australia, Immigration status".

Either way, other is the only one that fits.

Why would you possibly think your bank would refund you the application money?

That's just crazy.

As Simple1 has said, It's a long process and some are not suited to all of the bureaucracy.

Or you can get help on TVF.

You don't seem to know what you want to do TBH.

Tourist visa, partner visa in Australia or in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Bevup answered "other" previously.

It usually states "If in Australia, Immigration status".

Either way, other is the only one that fits.

Why would you possibly think your bank would refund you the application money?

That's just crazy.

As Simple1 has said, It's a long process and some are not suited to all of the bureaucracy.

Or you can get help on TVF.

You don't seem to know what you want to do TBH.

Tourist visa, partner visa in Australia or in Thailand.

& on that last phrase

He states applying for Partner Visa half way through tourist visa & then mentioned they automatically gave her a Bridging visa (i thought would have to apply )

To me it seems immi is suggesting we give you a Bridging visa (can only get in Auss) since you have been applying for to many TV"s

This will allow GF to apply for Partner visa (not an auto upgrade )

22 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

As other have mentioned, you need evidence that you have lived together (letters addressed jointly to you at the same address, bank accounts showing the same address, record of phone calls to each other etc).

This is where I'm going to have big problems

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

& on that last phrase

He states applying for Partner Visa half way through tourist visa & then mentioned they automatically gave her a Bridging visa (i thought would have to apply )

To me it seems immi is suggesting we give you a Bridging visa (can only get in Auss) since you have been applying for to many TV"s

This will allow GF to apply for Partner visa (not an auto upgrade )

A BVA is usually only granted whilst another visa application is being processed.

OP said it was given due to the Covid restrictions.

Immi will expect another visa application for her to depart Australia.

Archived