Midlife Crises

Deserted

Do the Thai's have a term for this? One of my friend's keeps telling his partner he is  supson gub cheewit (confused with his life) but he's not really putting the point across and she keeps asking me what's wrong. I couldn't really think of how to explain his age and career have caught up with him and now he doesn't really know what to do with himself because he's at a certain age. Do they have a term for someone in this state? 

It's also called the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, which is experienced by most males.

I understand there is a Thai expression saying old cattle prefer young grass, applied to old Thais and their mia nois.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's also called the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, which is experienced by most males.

I understand there is a Thai expression saying old cattle prefer young grass, applied to old Thais and their mia nois.

These seem like three distinct ideas to me. Grass is greener is a comparison of  your situation to others and you always thinking that what others have is better than you. Better job, better life, better girlfriend, etc.. Midlife crisis is more of a self-reflection and unhappiness/confusion that your life didn't turn out the way you anticipated or seems to be going nowhere as you approach your sunset years. I think Old Cattle preferring Young Grass simply refers to older men liking younger girls.

Deserted...your OP is your 555th post, so I believe in Thailand many believe that is good luck for you, or maybe just happiness and laughter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so just to explain further, its definitely like one of the points above. It's not that he wants divorce, its just he had to change his career and it hasn't worked out and he thins his life hasn't amounted to much and he keeps getting depressed about it. I don't know how to quite explain it to his wife, who seems to think its something to do with her. I tried to explain its not but I don't quite know how to say he's in his 40s and feels like he hasn't accomplished anything and doesn't know what to do with himself without her thinking he doesn't like her anymore. Help appreciated as she's become upset a couple of times and I don't quite know how to say it so that she can stop blaming herself.

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2021 at 10:26 AM, Lacessit said:

did you mean ........... woowa gair gin yar on ............ วัวแก่กิญ้าอ่อน

• Like 1

I think that a spouse saying they are confused about life, is something that will prompt a lot of questions in any language... 

it is the beginning of a long conversation, not the summation... 

If my wife said the same thing, I would surely ask why and what is the matter... 

ps - back where I come from midlife crisis used to be called "second childhood"  - - much more playful an event.. but the world is more serious now

Edited by 1FinickyOne

21 hours ago, scammed said:

tao hoa ngoo = head like snake

meaning looking around left and right for

something to fornicate with

Interesting. Is that used as a negative phrase? Snakes don't fornicate though, can you expand on it a bit more. It sounds quite close to the mark.

7 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Interesting. Is that used as a negative phrase? Snakes don't fornicate though, can you expand on it a bit more. It sounds quite close to the mark.

somewhere between teasing denigrating,

the similarity is supposedly in the head movement to spot

prey

1 hour ago, scammed said:

no, its specifically to harass men that are on the lookout for

I've heard the same, so it is generally used in a negative way towards men obsessed with sex or some type of pervert. And snakes do fornicate, that's how they reproduce. Males have hemipenes making them capable of the double-whammy.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 1:40 PM, scammed said:

no, its specifically to harass men that are on the lookout for

that is a nice way to make sure there is no confusion when complimenting a 'good girl' which i do all the time. thanks. what's it in Thai script, plse.

• 5 months later...

He teaches. He told me recently that he is worried that half his life is over and he hasn't done anything with it. So what's the term for someone who gets to half way through their life and they feel anxiety over it because they only half of it left. We call that a mid-life crises. The Thai's most have a term for a certain type of worry when you reach a certain age.