As an expat, do you live here without any form of credit ?

10 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I have many credit & debit cards in 2 different countries & I am also completely debt free---you do not have to go into debt to use a credit card. My cards are always in Credit, & I move the amount needed into them before or within a day or so of using them---- because of this I do not pay any fees, but it allows me to book hire cars, Hotels (especially in foreign countries) air fairs, or take advantage of  buying something that I would have to run around and get the cash for.

If used properly (responsibly) they are an asset.

I had a motor bike crash some years ago--it was on a Kings Birthday, and the hospital "said" they could not contact my insurer, however they admitted me because I was carrying a credit card, the insurer paid the next day.

I have never hired a car but everything else you state can easily be done with a debit card.

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

Wrong.  Many hotels do not accept cash for room deposits.

Debit cards can also be used as a cc. Mine is visa, but it needs my own funds in it because its a debit card. But if anyone needs it to be a cc it can be.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

How would you manage checking in a hotel overseas when they ask for a guarantee? Always found a ccard simpler than handing over a wad of extra funds?

Never been asked. Book online with debit card, done.

btw, when booking online just use the cc option and put in debit card number. Its used as a cc.

Edited by Sujo
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Does your debt card give you rewards?

that’s why you use a Cc

free is good

Yes it does, its not as much as a cc but it has them. Also if i use with the cc option i get more. But i dont as im not interested in booking a certain way simply for a reward i will never use.

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

I have never hired a car but everything else you state can easily be done with a debit card.

As I stated Sujo--I have a debit card, but it is also easier & more rewarding to use your C.C. in a lot of circumstances. Example- one of my Visa credit cards from the Bangkok Bank is sponsored by Air Asia. Show it and I board first, my luggage comes off first, spend more than 5,000baht in a month, you get free 20 Kilo luggage ticket (I have about 10 of them)--free coffee, upgrade to red seats no charge etc..etc..

Many western C.C. give you free insurance for luggage & medical, if flying. I don't collect the points now as I don't travel that much.  but I have friends who do travel --they add the airline points with the C.C. points, and usually do get upgrades, last time I traveled together, they gave my friend the use of the business lounge, even though we sat together on the plane in cattle class. 

A Credit.C. is the same as a debit card if your a reasonable person. Just keep it in credit.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me what the downside of owning a credit card is--what are you scared of?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Yes it does, its not as much as a cc but it has them. Also if i use with the cc option i get more. But i dont as im not interested in booking a certain way simply for a reward i will never use.

No you don’t get rewards from a debit card???? you will never use a reward? You’ve never flown or stayed in a hotel?

this is what I use mine for.

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Never been asked. Book online with debit card, done.

btw, when booking online just use the cc option and put in debit card number. Its used as a cc.

Not true. I have encountered several companies who only accept CREDIT cards, not DEBIT cards. One card cannot be both.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You mean you give Bkk Bnak Bht100,000 to be able to spend that money via a Credit Card? Why?

1/ Because a C.C gives you certain options that you do not always get with a D.C.

2/ Because as pointed out in an earlier post you get certain rewards with C.C.

3/ The money he has put into the bank he gets interest on (no its not much at the moment)

4/You don't have to put 100,000 in--you nominate the amount you want---a friend just has 30K. & after a certain amount of time you can get a full credit card--after 3 years I was offered and turned it down.

5/ You don't have to pay for that purchase immediately--(I do)  you can spread your payments out over certain months---(but you pay interest.)

6/I had a Citi Bank platinum card for years---it carries your photo on the card---great for ID.

There may be a time when you can not access cash--- Credit card works in all countries around the world. Were you here 7 years ago---complete shut down. Troops on the streets--Run on the ATMs which run out of cash quickly.

Were you here 13 years ago , People had just finished their holiday (probably spent their money) and were headed home, to find all airports shut down under Taxin protest's.  Credit cards can be very useful in an emergency..

The way things are, with new ways of paying with your phone etc--it may be that in a few years C.C. are not in use...

BUT UNTIL THEN....

7/ Can you "or Anyone" just tell me the drawbacks of having a free C.C.....even if you don't use it.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

1/ Because a C.C gives you certain options that you do not always get with a D.C.

2/ Because as pointed out in an earlier post you get certain rewards with C.C.

3/ The money he has put into the bank he gets interest on (no its not much at the moment)

4/You don't have to put 100,000 in--you nominate the amount you want---a friend just has 30K. & after a certain amount of time you can get a full credit card--after 3 years I was offered and turned it down.

5/ You don't have to pay for that purchase immediately--(I do)  you can spread your payments out over certain months---(but you pay interest.)

6/I had a Citi Bank platinum card for years---it carries your photo on the card---great for ID.

There may be a time when you can not access cash--- Credit card works in all countries around the world. Were you here 7 years ago---complete shut down. Troops on the streets--Run on the ATMs which run out of cash quickly.

The way things are, with new ways of paying with your phone etc--it may be that in a few years C.C. are not in use...

BUT UNTIL THEN....

7/ Can you "or Anyone" just tell me the drawbacks of having a free C.C.....even if you don't use it.

So if you have Bht 800,000 in an account for your Immigration purposes, could you nominate that account to support a credit card, paying it off every month of course

Just now, KannikaP said:

So if you have Bht 800,000 in an account for your Immigration purposes, could you nominate that account to support a credit card, paying it off every month of course

Why use that much 30K will do----but to answer your question the, the account has to stay at that level 800K-for 3 months before you get your visa extension.

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Why use that much 30K will do----but to answer your question the, the account has to stay at that level 800K-for 3 months before you get your visa extension.

So the money you spend on your so called Credit Card is taken out of the nominated account until you pay the card off at the end of the month. 

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So the money you spend on your so called Credit Card is taken out of the nominated account until you pay the card off at the end of the month.

In Thailand that is the way they seem to do it KanniKaP---for a period of time.--So you have your preferred D.C. with all the advantages of a C.C. (points freebies etc) As some one who has never been in debt (except for morgage)   I like it. Saves me crediting the card---they do it for me.

Another thing I like with the Credit card is each purchase (use)  is text to you, the moment you use it.

Edited by sanuk711

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I think this money is used as security if you not pay of your dep at the end! You will become a monthly bill which you have 2 weeks time to pay of. So the secured money will not be touched. But I think I heard that this money is also not able for the user to withdrawal or to use to show to immigration. This have to be discused with the bank as many banks to different ways.

Anyway not everybody has to deposit money on a secured account, but it seems the biggest part of the foreigners. I guess it has to do with how much money you have in the bank and your existing credit ratings... 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HampiK said:

not entirely true. When you need to give a deposit, this can not be done with a debit card, as the money is really booked from your account. With a credit card, the amount is booked on your cc account, but as soon it's released, the amount is deleted. This kind of process is not possible with a depit card. Maybe you talk about a secured credit card???

There are even some post to find in this forum where some members had problems with a debit card for some specific tasks. In general you are right, but not for all cases

I have done it two times. Once in bangkok, the other in Sarawak, Malaysia. Both times they put a hold on the funds on debit card.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

I do if I need money from UK to Thai bank my UK credit card is convenient at a small cost to use in Thailand. 

I have read in previous posts regarding money UK to Thailand, that a C Card/ATM is the most expensive way to do it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

sort of but not quite
Funds for your cards limit are locked when you apply for the card
so if you want a card with 100k limit,, you must lock up 100k FIRST
at the end of the month your cards balance must be paid,
this does NOT come from the funds you locked up, they stay locked
if you need to unlock funds to pay the card, the card is cancelled or your limit is reduced

it may or may not also be possible to use this for visa's, as it does still show on balance,
however whether banks will issue the letter displaying it as available balance may be another issue
personally i think the banks would not allow you to use said locked funds for anything else.

25 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Anyway not everybody has to deposit money on a secured account, but it seems the biggest part of the foreigners. I guess it has to do with how much money you have in the bank and your existing credit ratings...

The wife cannot get any credit as she does not have any regular payslips
Same reason for myself not having credit as an option
hence most foreigners need to lock up funds for CC

Edited by patman30

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Not true. I have encountered several companies who only accept CREDIT cards, not DEBIT cards. One card cannot be both.

I have never had anywhere decline a debit card. You can use debit card with visa payment method. I have done it twice for deposits.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I have done it two times. Once in bangkok, the other in Sarawak, Malaysia. Both times they put a hold on the funds on debit card.

I have 3 credit cards in Thailand an no hold on any of my money! And I talk about credit cards not ATM debit cards.

So I can tell from own experience, that not everybody have to become a hold on their money. But as I also already wrote.. most have to do like that.

20 hours ago, Nemises said:

Wrong.  Many hotels do not accept cash for room deposits.

This is COMPLETELY FALSE, stop making stuff up
Cash is Legal Tender
maybe you dont want to pay the required deposits some hotels ask for.
every hotel i have ever stayed accepts cash deposits
i (used to) travel a lot.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, patman30 said:

even failing that, everywhere will take cash deposits????‍♂️

That is actually my preferred way to do it as u receive it immediately on checkout.

With debit card the refund can take a few days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, patman30 said:

This is COMPLETELY FALSE, stop making stuff up
Cash is Legal Tender
maybe you dont want to pay the required deposits some hotels ask for.
every hotel i have ever stayed accepts cash deposits
i (used to) travel a lot.

Actually some hotels tell you they only accept credit cards, as it's easier for them. I also heard it once or twice while checking in in Thailand, the hotel personal told like that to the person next to me. But as always in Thailand can not... not always mean can't.. sometimes only mean don't want or don't know what to do... I never done it!

• Like 2