Efforts to Reduce Field Burning, Smog

snoop1130

Efforts to Reduce Field Burning, Smog

pm2.5-e1611820991392.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 28 (TNA) — The Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister ordered subordinates to cope with field burning and promote alternatives to replace it in order to reduce hazardous smog.

In response to the order from Minister Chalermchai Sri-on, the Department of Agricultural Extension is campaigning against field burning and demonstrating environment-friendly ways to handle farm waste.

The department advised farmers to plow farmland to cover agricultural waste by using machines that it is supplying.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-626650

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2021-01-28

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Toany said:

Well it is raining black soot smuts from sugar cane burning at the moment in Lopburi

and in Ratchaburi , same every year with the same outcome every year . Suppose that keeps the Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister in work for another year.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Toany said:

Well it is raining black soot smuts from sugar cane burning at the moment in Lopburi

I do  know where you are  Lopburi you are ,but where I am burning is down by 80% at least ,one field nearby  was burnt  last week ,two days ago come home after dark I could see in the distance a red glow .

Most cane is now cut by machine ,no black snow now for a year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department advised farmers to plow farmland to cover agricultural waste by using machines that it is supplying

Said by someone who has no knowledge of agriculture trying to climb the promotion ladder ,does he know how many cane farmers they are and how many machines that will be needed, by the sounds of it the machine will be a set of disc harrows ?that would cover the waste ,it would cost the government a fair bit. 

Or someone doing the translation from Thai  lost the plot .

Yet another dumb idea by our intrepid government. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Have the sugarcane factories take in the entire unburned sugarcane plant including the dry leaves that get stripped and burned in the fields. They could use additional machinery to strip the dry leaves and put them to some use like power generation. The government could subsidize this to improve air quality for the kingdom.

They are already doing this around Buriram area. The residue from sugar cane harvesting is collected up for biomass.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Have the sugarcane factories take in the entire unburned sugarcane plant including the dry leaves that get stripped and burned in the fields. They could use additional machinery to strip the dry leaves and put them to some use like power generation. The government could subsidize this to improve air quality for the kingdom.

I think your last sentence is the cruncher. Just as the gov. won't help farmers pay for crop rotation alternatives (to burning) so I think probably they would not give subsidies to the cane plants either. Thus the burning will continue.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The department advised farmers to plow farmland to cover agricultural waste by using machines that it is supplying.

Fortunately we do not have sugarcane plantations in our region east of Sakon Nakhon. However what I have noticed is that there has been quite an increase in the number of farmers 'plowing in' the stubble after harvesting, rather than burning off.

It's quite normal now for me to see a tractor or two working the land when I go for out for my morning walk. And with the air quality reading 'satisfactory' according to Air4Thai.com I can breath deep and really enjoy. So that's what I'm off to do right now. 

So the word is getting through. What's needed is the financial incentive to encourage farmers to cooperate. Training might also be useful too.

9 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I thought you were Aussie? 

Pot, kettle, black .

Envelopes? 

There is a good reason they burn it. 
Here is an Aussie explaining why they burn it in Australia. The same reason they burn it in Thailand.  

Burdekin snow the locals call it. 

As the flames begin to rise metres tall, ash gets blown across towns throughout the Burdekin.

"It's called Burdekin snow," Joe said.

"It's black stuff that comes from the fire and it goes all over the cars."

Actually pretty much like you, Aussie Greek, from Sydney, but more hanhom ????

The above said, I suppose we should be grateful Thailand stopped using pesticides in 2005:

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/business-law/ban-toxic-mercury-looms-sugar-cane-farming-australia-still-has-way-go

9 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Thailand has firmly entrenched itself as one of the most polluted countries on the planet and has well earned its new tourist slogan - TT LOS - Toxic Thailand Land of Smog.  Every year we reach apocalyptic pollution levels for months and then every year we hear the same tired old pledges to reduce burning, fix vehicles, commands being sent down the useless chain of command.  For the price of one Chinese made submarine you can buy 4000 new crop clearing tractors.  Burning persists despite the empty tired old rhetoric.  Ill believe it when I see it.  Meanwhile we, like many, are making plans to exit.  You cant buy good health.      

Your health IS your wealth 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister ordered subordinates to cope with field burning and promote alternatives to replace it in order to reduce hazardous smog

It takes one memo to every acting governor...

One fire in your province and you're fired ! [excuse the pun]

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KeeTua said:

This is exactly what has been happening in Mauritius for several decades.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If they were serious about stopping the sugarcane burning at the least, they should advise the sugarcane factories that if they buy any sugarcane that has been burnt, the fines would be so heavy they would have to close down, but we know that ain't gonna happen, this is the land of smiles, where lots of envelopes change hands day in, day out, it's called me for me, and you for you.

THEY DON'T BURN THE SUGARCANE ,THEY BURN THE WASTE .