Thai, no formal educ. teach English?

A Thai speaker without a Education Degree will not be able to get a Teacher's License and will be very limited in where they can work.   Private language schools MIGHT employ him/her, but it's a long shot.  

On 1/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, THAIPHUKET said:

Thai speaks English well, clean pronunciation. Better than most TV newscaster.

Basic Thai education.

Is there a way to obtain an English teaching certificate?

Become an English teacher?

There should not be.  That person is not qualified to teach anything, let alone English.  Pick another job, or get properly qualified, degree or College Diploma and a TEFL. Basic Thai education qualifies you (them) for nothing.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Yes, it is possible.  Send me a PM for details.

Maybe possible, but not right  This kind of thing is why Thais can't speak English correctly, unqualified people trying to do it. All these people do is to sell students down the river. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

There should not be.  That person is not qualified to teach anything, let alone English.  Pick another job, or get properly qualified, degree or College Diploma and a TEFL. Basic Thai education qualifies you (them) for nothing.  

Give the person a break!,

There's hundreds of farang with no qualifications in anything teaching English in Thailand, and some do an acceptable job. Many have English as their second or even third language, and many continuously make grammar etc., mistakes.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

My other "pet hate" is the Thai English teacher, teaching their poor pronunciation etc to their young students and they repeat the error giving the impression they have a speech impediment.

But it just the teacher has passed on his/hers to them and they just mimic it.

I had the same whilst learning Thai, Thai people invariably will say "Loi" and not "Roi" as they have problems (as do most Asian people) with the "L". You end saying things totally incorrectly but you are in fact understood (mostly).

• Like 2

Just now, scorecard said:

You're correct, government schools and some bi-lingual schools, teach the kids English grammar but there are no classes for listening, speaking, comprehension and conversation.

Ultimate example; for many years I was the local director of an international management consultancy. As in many countries consulting companies have large staff turnover (as soon as staff have good capabilities they are headhunted, often by own clients).

In those days we attended many uni events and our hand outs invited new graduates to 'walk in' for an interview and same on our website.

Many kids did come in, in 15 minutes the operations director explained the nature of the job, the responsibilities etc., and explained they might be instructed to join/help projects in our offices in S'pre, HK, Shanghai, KL, Jakarta, Sydney etc. And might have to work with farang from companies operating in Thailand, all in English, all part of the job. 

The Thai GM gave them a first interview maybe 20 minutes then told them 'now go to see Mr xxx (me) for a second interview in English'.

Many refused and made excuses like 'I don't need that interview I got A for English at high school', etc. They were told 'compulsory'.

I invited them in (one by one), they sat down and started 'my name is xxxxx and I was born inxxx on xxx (date), all robot/rote stuff. I always interrupted with 'what did you have for breakfast and what coffee brand/blend do you like?'

Many just froze, then didn't understand what I had said. I repeated same questions and waited. No response. The Ops director joined and explained 'to work here you must have advanced English language skill, including comprehension and conversation/discussion skills.

Often the response was 'but that's not fair, I got A for English at high school'. Then 'but you will sometimes have to join English discussion on projects in Singapore etc.'. Instant response 'my friend can come with me and translate for me'. Explaining that clients would not accept that fell on deaf ears, the interviews ended quickly. 

Bottom line, the kids genuinely believed this was very unfair because they got A for grammar at high school.

Interview ended.

Overall there have been some small improvements but there's still a long way to go. 

At one point I discussed this with a Thai professor (educated abroad) at one uni where I was lecturing. His excuse (repeat excuse) was 'but that would mean students talking in class which is very disrespectful to the teacher and cannot be allowed'.

No point in any further discussion.  

Edited by scorecard
I
  • Sad 1

What  often worries me is the poor standard of English in some doctors, many of them practicing in large hospitals.  In rural areas, good luck finding one that speaks English more than just a smidgen.  It is supposed to be a international requirement,  much like in airline aircrew, but it certainly is not.  

my wife wanted to take up English school in Bangkok to give her more confidence when coming to live in Australia so we visited quite a fews different advertised schools,Out of all there was 1 I would even slightly consider.Broad Brooklyn accents 1 Scottish guy appeared nice I couldn't understand him and I have Scottish friends..no insult meant to anyones accents but please ,,now I understand why so many thais learn poor English.Ill teach her myself after all Australian is slightly different again..lol

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I often have o try to explain to Thais, both children and even teachers, that being a native English speaker does not give me the ability to teach English, and not having any qualification in TEFL, I will not attempt to become an English teacher, either paid or unpaid.  

it appears to be difficult for many Thais to understand that speaking English fluently does no give me the ability to teach.  

Nor will I 'help them' ( i.e., do for them,) withtheir English homework.  The most I am prepared to do is to proof read their English written work, and then, only if they will listen to my corrections in English.  This gets rid of most of the lazy ones who simply want someone to do their work for them, and have no interest in actually  learning the language.

Given the number of unqualified "English Teachers" working, and tolerated, in Thailand, it is not surprising that the standard of English is so low.

Years of poof reading technical reports for an international company has show me that the standard of English as written and spoken by many 'native speakers' is deplorably low, yet far too many of these are now being paid to teach their version of 'English' 

Dare I say it, but many an ex-bar girl has better comprehension and conversational English that Thai university students.

Incidentally, has anyone ever heard PM Prayuth, or his Minister of Education speak English?

• Like 1

Is there a way to obtain an English teaching certificate?

Become an English teacher?

You used to be able to get all or any certificates around Khao San Road.

Thai speaks English well, clean pronunciation. Better than most TV newscaster.

Basic Thai education.

Teach English online. Many services, just do a search. High demand from Chinese, Japanese, Korean students. If you speak well you should be able to pass the video interview.

Some want/prefer native speakers. If you think you can wing it, say you grew up in a Western country then moved back to Thailand. You should have some knowledge of that country to back this up. Into movies, football? It might be enough to satisfy students who are usually of quite low proficiency.

Rate is about $10 USD an hour. It's a good time to get paid in USD, as they're now approaching 37 baht. On that note I shall stock up on more Leos tonight. Cheers. ????