UK Travel Ban

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The new regulations were only announced on the evening of 27 January so it will be interesting to hear from anyone who's tried leaving the UK from today onwards.  It should be noted that the ban on travelling out of the UK is in place even if you are going to a destination where you would be required to quarantine when you return (red zone - 30 countries) - which seems somewhat odd.

Have you looked at the London Thai Embassy Facebook group?

During all the lockdowns and restrictions etc. people wishing to travel out of the UK have been told they must only travel for essential purposes.  It seems that until now, nobody has checked on a person's reason for travel or enforced the regulations - indeed the regulations themselves are a little 'wooly' and open to interpretation. I don't know of anyone who has been stopped from travelling to Thailand - but its looking like that is about to change.

Last night, when Boris Johnson announced the new UK hotel quarantine regulations for those travelling to the UK from the 'red zones', he also stated that people will NOT be allowed to leave the UK for anything other than essential purposes and that it would be ENFORCED.  He talked of a new declaration form that travellers would be required to complete - giving their reasons for travel.  Again though, the 'essential reasons' are not fully explained. They state those reasons as 'including': Business purposes, Educational, and Medical - the key word being 'including' which seems to mean there are other essential reasons.  Try finding them!

Trying to get the exact details at the moment is impossible, I've checked the government's websites, spoken to airlines - even the police. To me, given that I've only seen my wife once in almost a year, visiting her is 'essential' - its even worse for those that have children abroad.  I was about to buy a ticket but its doubtful that in these circumstances, the airlines will give a refund on tickets bought after the latest announcement, where travel is deemed as not essential.

The new regulations were only announced on the evening of 27 January so it will be interesting to hear from anyone who's tried leaving the UK from today onwards.  It should be noted that the ban on travelling out of the UK is in place even if you are going to a destination where you would be required to quarantine when you return (red zone - 30 countries) - which seems somewhat odd.

I fully appreciate the reasons why the UK is starting to close its borders, albeit too late but I fail to see how business or educational reasons are more important than visiting family.  In fact, I don't think the new restrictions go far enough, they should stop inward travel or require quarantine for all countries, not just the ones in the 'red zone' but travel to see family should be classed as essential.

Before this announcement I intended to state that I lived in Thailand and was returning - which in my book is true, my home is there I just work in the UK but my Non O expires soon so I would have nothing to support my claim. I guess that in reality, just about all travel out of the UK will come to an end for the duration of these new restrictions because airlines will no doubt cancel flights as there will be very few bookings.

The crazy situation created by these new restrictions is that at the moment, my wife can visit me here but it looks like I can't go there. So, looking at it from a risk point of view - that is to say the risk is that one passenger may spread the virus what's the difference?

Does your wife already have a UK visa?

Are these still being issued to Thai's in Thailand at present?

47 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Does your wife already have a UK visa?

Are these still being issued to Thai's in Thailand at present?

My wife has a UK visitor visa that is about to expire - she visited the UK last year. But this is not about Thai's visiting the UK - as yet that is not restricted but they are now subject to home quarantine again as 'Travel Corridors' have been cancelled.  This is about travel OUT of the UK.

Edited by KhaoYai

Do you really have nothing to show you live in Thailand?  Bank account, driving license, yellow book, etc?  As for your expiring non-O there is nothing to stop you getting a new one before you leave.  Probably you're right that flights will become fewer in the coming weeks, that might be the biggest hurdle.

7 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Do you really have nothing to show you live in Thailand?  Bank account, driving license, yellow book, etc? 

I have a Thai driving licence and a bank account yes - thanks for the suggestions. However, I can only get a 3 month Non O from the Thai embassy in the UK, they stopped issuing 12 month multis when they went over to the E-Visa system.  I very much doubt I could convince anyone that I live in Thailand with one 90 day entry.

29 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I have a Thai driving licence and a bank account yes - thanks for the suggestions. However, I can only get a 3 month Non O from the Thai embassy in the UK, they stopped issuing 12 month multis when they went over to the E-Visa system.  I very much doubt I could convince anyone that I live in Thailand with one 90 day entry.

get a non imm 'O''A' visa

You're making your own hurdles, a friend of mine has just visited for a 6 week holiday from the uk, in quarantine now, no problems.

You've been on about nor being able to return on this forum for a long time already, it's much easier now that it was at the begining when there were only repat flights, i don't understand why you're making it so hard for your self.

90 non O visa can be extended i believe, also no difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I would be subject to 15 days quarantine and stop the stupid sensationalism, there are new variants all over the world. Mutation is a feature of any virus.

In addition, don't forget my wife will have to return to Thailand - also potentially bringing the nasty UK virus with her by your way of thinking.

You have my sympathy, but if your wife went to the UK she would NOT be allowed to leave there either. That would be an excellent reason for an extension to HER Visa.

I speak under correction, but, as it stands, should the OP's wife visit the United Kingdom, and being not from a "red list" country, she could self-quarantine at "home".

I do believe this will change soon, and visitors arriving from whatsoever country will have to go into a government-approved hotel, self-funded, for a quarantine period of up to 10 days.  After 5 days, however, having had a negative test, possibly allowed to leave the hotel for a self-quarantine period at "home".

As to departures from the United Kingdom, Priti Patel yesterday said, "The list of travel exemptions would also be "urgently" reviewed, to make sure "only the most important and with exceptional reasons are included".

• Like 1

Depends who's looking at the visa.  Plod won't have a clue what a non-O entitles you too and it is not stated on the visa that you get a 90 day entry.  Anyone actually familiar with the Thai visa system would likely know that you are able to get an in-country extension and stay there forever.

• Like 1

I very much doubt I could convince anyone that I live in Thailand with one 90 day entry.

That may not be the case.

If I remember right there is a statement on the Thai visa website to the effect that people intending to stay longer than 90 days must extend their visa at Thai immigration. That cannot be done before you leave.

9 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You're making your own hurdles, a friend of mine has just visited for a 6 week holiday from the uk, in quarantine now, no problems.

You've been on about nor being able to return on this forum for a long time already, it's much easier now that it was at the begining when there were only repat flights, i don't understand why you're making it so hard for your self.

90 non O visa can be extended i believe, also no difficult.

Tell me what hurdles I'm making. You're 100% wrong, there have been many hurdles to cross, the main one being saving the £10,000 + cost of the trip - allowing for lost earnings.  I was all ready to travel in April but now can't.

Possibly you have skim read my post - how am I making it hard?

The UK government have stated that people can only leave for essential purposes. Since I first posted I have spoken to UK Border Force who quite clearly told me that leaving to visit my wife would not be classed as essential travel. 

Your friend clearly left the UK before the latest announcement so using that as a comparison has absolutelty no validity.

What has an extension to a 90 day Non O got to do with it?  All I would be able to show when leaving the UK would be a single, 90 day entry - I doubt that would convince any border official that I live in Thailand. I am not prepared to risk paying for a ticket just to lose it.

There is not a single point in your post that has any truth in it.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That may not be the case.

If I remember right there is a statement on the Thai visa website to the effect that people intending to stay longer than 90 days must extend their visa at Thai immigration. That cannot be done before you leave.

That is regarding Thai requirements - I am talking about the new rules introduced by the UK government in their announcement on 27 January.

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Tell me what hurdles I'm making. You're 100% wrong, there have been many hurdles to cross, the main one being saving the £10,000 + cost of the trip - allowing for lost earnings.  I was all ready to travel in April but now can't.

Possibly you have skim read my post - how am I making it hard?

The UK government have stated that people can only leave for essential purposes. Since I first posted I have spoken to UK Border Force who quite clearly told me that leaving to visit my wife would not be classed as essential travel. 

Your friend clearly left the UK before the latest announcement so using that as a comparison has absolutelty no validity.

What has an extension to a 90 day Non O got to do with it?  All I would be able to show when leaving the UK would be a single, 90 day entry - I doubt that would convince any border official that I live in Thailand. I am not prepared to risk paying for a ticket just to lose it.

There is not a single point in your post that has any truth in it.

LOL.

No need to get so excited.

You've left it too long thinking it would get easier and not more difficult to return IMO.

I'm sure you could travel with a non O ( it's based on marriage, right? return to family = essential travel, right? or is your 'mates' word gospel?). Tickets are generally not lost but can be changed to other dates, not the end of the world ).

As mentioned all i've seen is complaints about you trying to get back but listen mate it's your BBQ, do as you wish.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

2 hours ago, allanos said:

As to departures from the United Kingdom, Priti Patel yesterday said, "The list of travel exemptions would also be "urgently" reviewed, to make sure "only the most important and with exceptional reasons are included".

Yes, I wrote to Priti Patel and had a phone call from someone in her office yesterday. I was told that the case of people visiting family would be considered.  The current government has often been criticised for making announcements then adding details later - in this case, that may work in my favour.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I'm sure you could travel with a non O ( it's based on marriage, right? return to family = essential travel, right? or is your 'mates' word gospel?). Tickets are generally not lost but can be changed to other dates, not the end of the world ).

Who is my mate?  Don't follow you.

Border force have told me that my reason for travel is not essential and Etihad Airways have said that they will not refund any ticket bought after the government's announcement.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Who is my mate?  Don't follow you.

Border force have told me that my reason for travel is not essential and Etihad Airways have said that they will not refund any ticket bought after the government's announcement.

Oh my bad, i thought the border force person you spoke to was a friend for some reason...apologies.

Other airlines same as Etihad? 

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Where there's a will there's a way.

You seem to have followed my posts so you should be aware that my wife and I decided that it was too difficult and expensive last year so gave up and she visited me here.  She was subject to home quarantine when she arrived in the UK and then 2 weeks quarantine in Thailand when she returned.  I don't want to ask her to do that again and there are also things I need to attend to in Thailand.

You should consider this, I have cancer. I am not going anywhere just yet but I do have a non-determined sell by date.  Every day I can spend with my wife is precious because neither of us know if I have 6 months or 6 years.  I'm not looking for sympathy by stating that - not at all, I came to terms with my position years ago - I just don't want to waste any of the time I do have. So I am trying every way that I can to get over to Thailand and indeed, it was planned and dated - its these new rules that have caused the problem.

• Sad 1

Not sure if you've read this but it's the latest guidance published yesterday by HMG National Lockdown stay at home#international-travel

As you've implied the guidance is very sparse, you can travel abroad "if legally permitted to do so" but clarification of who that applies to, isn't readily available.

As you've said, I doubt very much if wishing to visit your wife, however compelling it is for you, would be regarded as a valid reason, your correspondence with UKBF seems to support this.

Even those that work overseas don't have an absolute right to travel.

I suspect you'd need to prove that you're already resident overseas, maybe a re-entry permit keeping an extension of stay valid, proof or residence with maybe copies of letters from HMG or a bank to you in Thailand.

Good luck 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You seem to have followed my posts so you should be aware that my wife and I decided that it was too difficult and expensive last year so gave up and she visited me here.  She was subject to home quarantine when she arrived in the UK and then 2 weeks quarantine in Thailand when she returned.  I don't want to ask her to do that again and there are also things I need to attend to in Thailand.

You should consider this, I have cancer. I am not going anywhere just yet but I do have a non-determined sell by date.  Every day I can spend with my wife is precious because neither of us know if I have 6 months or 6 years.  I'm not looking for sympathy by stating that - not at all, I came to terms with my position years ago - I just don't want to waste any of the time I do have. So I am trying every way that I can to get over to Thailand and indeed, it was planned and dated - its these new rules that have caused the problem.

As mentioned good luck whatever you decide.