4,000 baht fine and suspended prison sentences for foreigners and Thais arrested at Koh Phangan party

snoop1130

When I heard this on the International News first, I thought, oh well deportations on the way. But no a silly 4000 baht fine to a foreigner is nothing. personally I would deport them, AND fine them 10,000 baht each send a message to all thopse who are GUESTS, in this country break the law regarding this Pandemic your out !!  No matter what Visa you are on, then they would have top go through the hoops to return. Bloody stupid and as a Brit I feel ashamed . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Bloody stupid and as a Brit I feel ashamed.

I think that was the only saving grace, multiple nationalities involved so nobody picking on just the Brits, or the Americans, or the Aussies, or the Germans or ...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

Seems this is only half true, according to one of the arrested party people I just asked personally:

"According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year."

4,000 baht fine is confirmed, but no prison sentence for them.

My contact didn't know about the verdict for the bar owner and party organiser because of not speaking Thai.

Suspended sentences: meaning they don't go to prison, but if they are caught doing something else wrong within the next year, they will have to serve the one month.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

My understanding is that there have been no Virus detection on the Island and just like Phuket bars etc are allowed to open under restricted hours etc, so what is this really about 

I would assume all the patrons there on the Island go about things quite normally and were not expecting this - suddenly one night out of the last 3 months the authorities decide to raid a bar on party Island and the bar along with others was likely full the night before

Seems they just can't stand people enjoying themselves in all this misery - and of course the brown envelopes have stopped 

What was that corruption rating again 

I think you have forgotten that the Island has transport links

for Covid the Island come under the Surat Thani province so Covid restrictions apply to the whole of the Surat Thani province they don't have seperate Covid restrictions just for the island

The party was planned begining of January original date was 28th January to  coincide with the full moon, but the party date was changed to 26th January and was billed as the 5th anniversary party

The party dates were published on the internet on public facing pages for everyone to see including the police

so the police knew exactly date and time to raid this bar

• Thanks 1

Good thing rational heads prevailed

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think you have forgotten that the Island has transport links

for Covid the Island come under the Surat Thani province so Covid restrictions apply to the whole of the Surat Thani province they don't have seperate Covid restrictions just for the island

The party was planned begining of January original date was 28th January to  coincide with the full moon, but the party date was changed to 26th January and was billed as the 5th anniversary party

The party dates were published on the internet on public facing pages for everyone to see including the police

so the police knew exactly date and time to raid this bar

If only they waited  to party today.  Now that covid is safe again ????.  Or at least not a violation to be at a bar again.

Edited by Dart12
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

There were only "89 foreigners and 22 Thais" party goers according to the OP, 111 times 100 fee = 11,100 total according to my math's teacher. No profit was made by either the owner or the organizer with fines of 10,000 each.

111 people were arrested but around 200 people were at the party and paid entrance (excl. owner and staff I assume). When the police turned up, about half of them were able to flee the "crime scene".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peterdarby said:

Suspended sentences: meaning they don't go to prison, but if they are caught doing something else wrong within the next year, they will have to serve the one month.

Yep and this should be common knowledge, but thanks for reminding us what it means.

The person I spoke to who got arrested and had a hearing with the judge told me that there was no suspended prison sentence for the people who attended the party. I assume that the media mixed it up with the suspended prison sentence for the bar owner and party organiser. One media copies the wrong information from the other and reports the same misinformation, people who don't have access to the source just believe it then. Nothing new here...

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year.

thai people were fined 4,000 baht as well?  no hidden intentions, i'm just asking

15 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

Seems this is only half true, according to one of the arrested party people I just asked personally:

"According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year."

4,000 baht fine is confirmed, but no prison sentence for them.

My contact didn't know about the verdict for the bar owner and party organiser because of not speaking Thai.

In any case we are all paying for the corruption that allowed these migrant workers to come into the country and work wages far less than the daily minimum wage ????

Edited by BobinBKK
Spelling
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

There were only "89 foreigners and 22 Thais" party goers according to the OP, 111 times 100 fee = 11,100 total according to my math's teacher. No profit was made by either the owner or the organizer with fines of 10,000 each.

Don’t you think that perhaps many of party goers had already left ,perhaps so

6 hours ago, smedly said:

My understanding is that there have been no Virus detection on the Island and just like Phuket bars etc are allowed to open under restricted hours etc, so what is this really about 

I would assume all the patrons there on the Island go about things quite normally and were not expecting this - suddenly one night out of the last 3 months the authorities decide to raid a bar on party Island and the bar along with others was likely full the night before

Seems they just can't stand people enjoying themselves in all this misery - and of course the brown envelopes have stopped 

What was that corruption rating again 

Since earlier in January, Suratthani province (including KPN) has ordered all bars closed and no alcohol served in restaurants - even hotel restaurants.

As from today, restaurants can serve alcohol but bars still closed as far as I know. Official announcement from 'he who must be obeyed' later today

Just announced - bars can open - except Bangkok.

The relaxing of all measures is expected to come into effect on 1st Feb, but may differ slightly from province to province.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

thai people were fined 4,000 baht as well?  no hidden intentions, i'm just asking

"Over one hundred people were arrested, including 89 foreigners and 22 Thais.

According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year".

Those in attendance included Thais.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

4,000 baht fine and suspended prison sentences for foreigners and Thais arrested at Koh Phangan party

564000000857701.jpg.055237cf7f97c68cd5f111623bcb7f51.jpg

Image: Manager

Dozens of foreigners and Thais who were arrested for flouting Thailand’s COVID-19 restrictions by attending a party at a bar on Koh Phangan have been given fines and suspended prison sentences.

On Tuesday, police raided the Three Sixty Bar on Koh Phangan following a tip off a party was taking place.

Over one hundred people were arrested, including 89 foreigners and 22 Thais.

According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY2OC84MzQ0NTM0LzExMS5qcGc=.jpg

Image: INN

Two Thai men - the owner of the bar and the organiser of the party - were each fined 10,000 baht and given two year prison sentences, suspended for one year.

Those arrested were from more than 10 countries, including the U.S., Britain, Switzerland, France, Australia, Germany and Denmark.

More than 200 people attended the party, which cost 100 baht to attend and which had been  advertised on the bar’s Facebook page.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-28

I notice a foreigner not wearing a mask.

It seems that the lack of covid in Thailand as lulled some into a false sense of security.

Covid has been bad enough for Thailand already, if it takes hold the country simply wouldn't be able to cope with the numbers experienced in US and Europe. ...and the economy even more damaged would be a disaster

They don't seem to realise the risk they are running. Especially with the new more contagious strains arising.

Edited by Histavia
  • Like 1

That many here just hanging about partying? They all came here recently??  Or let me guess...nomads on special visas.   Sorry to say , in the USA its the same story.  Super spreader events by younger irresponsible “immune from being covid sick” entitled $&@$????.  Alot of us older expats doing quarantine now just to be back home . Im already in prison and its costing more than 4000b. ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Histavia said:

I notice a foreigner not wearing a mask.

It seems that the lack of covid in Thailand as lulled some into a false sense of security.

Covid has been bad enough for Thailand already, if it takes hold the country simply wouldn't be able to cope with the numbers experienced in US and Europe. ...and the economy even more damaged would be a disaster

They don't seem to realise the risk they are running. Especially with the new more contagious strains arising.

Theres always a few mask denying fools that feel the dont need to or want even in the USA. Im airline cabin staff and daily we get these types.  Masks on or off the plane.  No debate.  Its why the USA is having its second deadly wave.  People are selfish 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

In my opinion, what is more of concern for the foreigners is not just a fine and a suspended prison sentence but the prospect of a criminal record which could have severe implications in the future - work permits, visas, return holidays etc.

Oh well. There’s Bali   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Wow.

Irresponsible selfish losers. Those are not teenage kids but are late 20's, 30's and some old people in 40's it looks like. Thai were far too kind with them.

Looks like none of them give a <deleted>. If foreigners can act like that in a Thai police station without recourse, it's no wonder the Thais themselves  treat the police the way they do.

You would think that being arrested for breaching COVID rules, with the possible risk of prison or deportation, that they would   act at least a little contrite.

• Like 1