4,000 baht fine and suspended prison sentences for foreigners and Thais arrested at Koh Phangan party

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Oh well. There’s Bali   

Bali is deporting people for breaking Covid rules.

"The mass arrest was the latest in the series of crackdowns across Southeast Asia as the authorities lose patience with foreigners breaking public health rules. A Russian social media star with millions of followers was deported from Bali, Indonesia on Monday after holding a party on the tropical island."

Thai police raid island resort arresting 89 foreigners, including Britons, for violating coronavirus regulations (yahoo.com)

• Like 1

Troll posts and the replies have been removed.

Off topic trolling posts regarding US politics have been removed. 

Posts with links or content to the Stickboy site have been removed as links or content from that site is not allowed on this forum. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Aeiou7 said:

Seems this is only half true, according to one of the arrested party people I just asked personally:

"According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year."

4,000 baht fine is confirmed, but no prison sentence for them.

My contact didn't know about the verdict for the bar owner and party organiser because of not speaking Thai.

Is it true that if a foreigner is convicted of a federal crime, he is deported? I know one person that this just happened to.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, Salerno said:

I think that was the only saving grace, multiple nationalities involved so nobody picking on just the Brits, or the Americans, or the Aussies, or the Germans or ...

When the dregs of multiple  nations come together.

17 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

So why did you state in your previous post : " I want to be Thai " ???????

It was a light hearted comment. I said it because Thais always get off, farangs not so much. As the story seemed to state. Sorry you took it seriously. I will be noting comments in jest.*

I meant Thai as born in Thailand.

* in jest

23 hours ago, elgenon said:

Still not Thai in the eyes of Thais. Do you think the police asked the partygoers if anyone was a naturalized Thai?

Or cared?

You think the police anywere asks people if they are naturalized when they arrest non-native looking people? They tend to just ask for ID, which will make it clear wether they are dealing with foreigners or nationals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

It was a light hearted comment. I said it because Thais always get off, farangs not so much. As the story seemed to state. Sorry you took it seriously. I will be noting comments in jest.*

I meant Thai as born in Thailand.

* in jest

We're all just a short period of time in " this life " world-population. But I get your drift.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:23 PM, Aeiou7 said:

Seems this is only half true, according to one of the arrested party people I just asked personally:

"According to Sky News, those in attendance at the bar were each fined 4,000 baht and given a one month prison sentence,  suspended for one year."

My contact didn't know about the verdict for the bar owner and party organiser because of not speaking Thai.

If so, not any surprise. Prison in LOS seems to be dedicated mainly for the poor people ... 

You do understand what suspended means, right.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, Khun Paul said:

When I heard this on the International News first, I thought, oh well deportations on the way. But no a silly 4000 baht fine to a foreigner is nothing. personally I would deport them, AND fine them 10,000 baht each send a message to all thopse who are GUESTS, in this country break the law regarding this Pandemic your out !!  No matter what Visa you are on, then they would have top go through the hoops to return. Bloody stupid and as a Brit I feel ashamed . 

You seem to be overlooking the fact the land owner was thai, the bar owner was thai, and the party organizer was thai, as was the liquor supplier.

Add to that the fact that there are no parties that occur on the island without at the very least the tacit approval of the bib.

There would have been nowhere for these people to go if there was no party.

So are they truly at fault?

Edited by n00dle

On 29/01/2021 at 1:49 AM, vinny41 said:

UPDATE: A court in Samui has fined the 89 foreign and 20 Thai partygoers 4,000 Baht each. They were also sentenced to one month in prison but this was suspended for one year. The Organizers were fined 10,000 Baht. Their two year sentence was suspended for one year #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1354817229930422273

Why do so many think dickbarrow is the fountain of all knowledge?

An earlier post talked to one of the partygoers and no court suspended sentence.

I thought he was kicked out of here last year?

3 minutes ago, Pikasso said:

An earlier post talked to one of the partygoers and no court suspended sentence.

I thought he was kicked out of here last year?

I assume you referring and your will notice his contact doesn't speak Thai, all the media outlets including Thai media outlets stated 

one month prison sentence suspended for one year.

If a court offical ask you for 4,000 baht most people will assume thats it 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, Pikasso said:

Maybe because he reports it as it is and helps a lot of us who are not fluent in Thai and follow the Thai media to get at grasp on what is going on? Given some of the contradicting information from Thai media outlets (and even Government officials) it is no surprise that sometimes things turn out differently than originally reported.  

He is somebody who adds consistently value and does not just come up with random negative comments on TV when he feels like it (take note Pikasso).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1