Two killed, several injured after ‘drunk’ foreigner crashes into motorcyclists in Hua Hin

webfact

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

there was a Brit who killed a guy in mai Kao last year in a Benz. Another one also in a Benz in Chiang mai or rai a few years back. If you google in Thai you will find over 50 examples of foreigners killing Thais on the road because of speeding, drunk or both.

To my knowledge they always buy themselves out of jail. 

when in reality they should be given the needle..

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

It was a scene of chaos yesterday as I was coming home. Ambulance staging area transfering bodies, I counted five ambulances. I did not see the accident but it was clear the truck driver just plowed into the scooters at speed. 

He didn't seem to be going that fast in the video.  Combined speed is a killer though (and a drunk at the wheel).

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

a foreigner kills innocent people and you turn it into a put down on Thais lol... 

Don't detach yourself from reality! I don't condone what the foreigner has done, he will be judged by Thai's!

51 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Rob,you have become so Thai...in back to back sentences you say you trust Thai police followed by that they extort money...

How one’s moral compass goes haywire...

I think he means... IF the police at the scene reported that the foreign driver was drunk its quite likely he was. 

Also, everyone knows the police are corrupt and not to be trusted. 

While on the surface these comments seem contradictory, we know they are not because not all police are corrupt and in different situations, such as at the scene of a serious accident what the the police see is quite likely to be voiced in a matter of fact manner rather than through the lens of corruption. 

But they don't treat all drunk drivers the same. One ploughed into a Thai friend of mine - got out of his car drunk and wandered off. Police arrive and, whilst she is in shock, got her to sign documents (she was in shock) and he got away with it. Later found out he was the head of a local school and knew the Police etc. 

every farang know they are always to blame

farang come, risk

buy truck, risk

drink, risk

hit Thai, bad

kill Thai, everyone will hate

kills Thais..... life is over.

this will never stop because everyone thinks it will never happen to them.  

hope he gets 200-years prison, 100 billion dollar fine....then maybe farang will think

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals and love their drink. A lot of those on the forum. Just look at the howls of displeasure when alcohol is banned for a day.

If guilty send him to jail and then ban him from entering Thailand. 2 people died and if he was drunk its an unforgiveable act.

life in Thai jail for murder

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

What central reservation , cant see any in the video unless it was further back up the road . Maybe more cctv can show what actually happened .

Is it possible some idiot on a motorbike pulled out in front of to go the wrong way which they do all the time . If indeed he was drunk and caused the accident then throw the book at him .

Why the automatic denial of the fact that there are bestial foreigners who commit terrible crimes in Thailand?

What else do you need to see clearly in the video that the pickup drove on the right side (the wrong direction) in high speed and grabbed the 2 motorcycles who rode on their left side of the road. 

22 minutes ago, rwill said:

Perhaps he was drunk or playing with a cellphone.  But also perhaps he was having a medical issue, like a heart attack or something else.

And perhaps alien voices in his head told him to do it, perhaps  bad spirits took control of him! ???? The truth will come out...BE PATIENT and don't speculate!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:
26 minutes ago, rwill said:

Perhaps he was drunk or playing with a cellphone.  But also perhaps he was having a medical issue, like a heart attack or something else.

And perhaps alien voices in his head told him to do it, perhaps  bad spirits took control of him! ???? The truth will come out...BE PATIENT and don't speculate!

That no brake lights illuminated indicates the potential that the ‘foreign pick up driver’ was either asleep or had a medical issue.

That it is reported he is in police custody indicates he is not in hospital, potentially ruling out a medical issue. 

The headline also stated ‘drunk', although being drunk and sleepy at 5pm is a little strange, but of course not impossible. 

Of course, very few facts to go on: No doubt about fault of course, just the cause. 

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

How quickly death can come.

The 2 people on the scooter innocently riding along the road, and then in a split second an oncoming pickup truck simply smashes into them without warning. 

exactly

this is a constant thought in my head whenever i leave the house until i return home again, even if not on the roads

• Like 1

On another note, the truck is a high ride, which means it may not be stable on the road in certain conditions. I notice the new-ish truck has non-standard wheels and tyres, plus the extra height for off road use.

My old high rise truck handbook warned about stability issues because of it's high centre of gravity.

So, this guy may have been caught out....????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Some of the expats in Thailand love to imitate the locals and love their drink. A lot of those on the forum. Just look at the howls of displeasure when alcohol is banned for a day.

If guilty send him to jail and then ban him from entering Thailand. 2 people died and if he was drunk its an unforgiveable act.

IF, is right. How about waiting for all the facts to come out before crucifying the person and painting expats as just a bunch of drunk a$$holes driving around with no regard for human life. Maybe they WERE drunk, but we don’t know by the story. You sound like a self-righteous bitter old person.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

How quickly death can come.

The 2 people on the scooter innocently riding along the road, and then in a split second an oncoming pickup truck simply smashes into them without warning. 

But that is the reality of being on the roads in Thailand.

lotsa stuff can happen.....

Ford Ranger and Everest Recall for steering shaft

The defect is a weld on the intermediate steering column shaft that may not meet standards, consequently a failure could cause loss of steering and thus increased risk of accident or injury.

Ford Australia will write to owners of affected vehicles, or owners can contact their Ford dealer to book in an inspection. If the weld doesn’t pass muster, the steering shaft will get replaced.

Vehicles affected by this recall include Everests built from March 16, 2018 to April 6, 2018, and Rangers built from March 18, 2018 through April 11, 2018.

https://mr4x4.com.au/ford-ranger-everest-recall-dont-lose-control/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

On another note, the truck is a high ride, which means it may not be stable on the road in certain conditions. I notice the new-ish truck has non-standard wheels and tyres, plus the extra height for off road use.

My old high rise truck handbook warned about stability issues because of it's high centre of gravity.

So, this guy may have been caught out....????

Why wasn’t he braking ?????

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

They say he was drunk because lots of people on facebook in Thai said 'farang drive too fast,

I get this  nonsense from the local  village whilst they fail to see their own awful driving  habits such as , wrong side of the road at  all  junctions/ corners  etc, no lights at night, no  helmets , many underage children on bikes, cattle on the road being brought  home in the dark with no lights  on same with farm vehicles.

I reckon their reason  for me to slow down is  to  allow for  their driving inadequacies  so they have time to put the phone down as they round the corner  on the wrong side on their  bikes, just like the other day when one swerved to avoid me as he was looking at his  phone.

No doubt he's  told the whole  village farang drive too  fast. The difference being, I don't  have a phone, my eyes  look at the road  only and my eyes  look about 400 metres  ahead and are pro active, they drive in the here and  now usually with one hand on the handlebars the other on the phone.

They associate speed with danger which is incorrect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

No need to ban him from entering thailand just put him in jail here for the rest of his misserable life that way he doesn't need to leave and be banned from entering .