Thai stawberries gone missing?

Brunolem

Every year, around December and January, I used to feast on strawberries grown in Northern Thailand.

But this year, nothing, zero, nada...not one (Thai) strawberry for sale in the supermarkets, markets or in the back of pick-up trucks.

Informed members from the Northern territories are welcome to shed some light on this mystery...

• Confused 1

A few trucks around where i live in Phuket normally in the past they start off 250 baht after a couple of weeks they start to come down this year they are 100 baht the other night I saw one 80 baht I couldn't stop where he was parked, maybe better not to buy at night cant see maybe all rotten when I get home 555  

Been buying them weekly here in Bangkok at the local street market.  A large container has been selling for 120 baht, with a smaller one for 80 baht.  The large container is equivalent in size to ones I would buy in the US for $2.99, or around 90 Thb, and that is in California during the season.  The strawberries have been decent in size and been sweet and juicy.  Had Chiang Mai Strawberries in December, and they were smaller and a combination of sweet and sour.

strawberry (2).jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

We are down in Kap Choeng Surin. The wife and I were going to CNX to see friends and go to the Samonge Strawberry Festival that would off beheld 2 nd week of February. But with the Corona Flu this is  has been put off. The plan was bring back some 50 cases of strawberries.

Edited by khwaibah

1 hour ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Thought it would be too hot

My missus has been growing them for about 5 years. Never a problem. Plus, at this time of the year, the temperatures are a little more "normal".

32 minutes ago, adamreedr62 said:

You can meet strawberry in Thailand from January until the March. Most of berries come from the North of the country. You can buy it on the markets and at the shops. Local strawberry in Thailand is costs from 20 THB for small package until 150 THB for a big one (you can choose the package on any price). You will never know the price for 1 kg, you even can’t find seller, who will sell it by kilo. Next point for not to buy strawberry in Thailand is that these packages can consists not only berries, sellers can put under them leaves or small planks for growing up the volume and view of the package. So you come home and find them – not so pleasant.
The main reason for not to buy strawberry in Thailand  is the taste, or better to say – no taste. Strawberry in Thailand has no flavor. If you will be in China, you can try local strawberry with pleasure. Berries are big, good looking and the main thing is that they are tasty.

nyc towing

Nothing wrong with the ones we grow.

19 hours ago, Brunolem said:

So, for some reason, they didn't reach Isaan...maybe too expensive for the locals, especially under the circumstances...

Up here they were selling for 500 baht per kilo at New Year, before the Bangkok lock down. Not many tourists since then so lucky to sell them at all lately. Maybe the tourists will come back with the restrictions being eased.

It seems that most, that would include myself - in Northern Thailand, are having no trouble finding strawberries at this time - in fact I have been buying them in ;local markets for the last two months. The season is nearly over now, I think.

22 hours ago, Brunolem said:

But this year, nothing, zero, nada...not one (Thai) strawberry for sale in the supermarkets, markets or in the back of pick-up trucks.

Plenty northern Chiang Mai-strawberries on pickup-trucks where I live, way down south (why we pay high price, and it's also on an island), but they arrived 1-2 weeks later this year (image from Friday last week)...

wIMG20210129140736_strawberries(1024).jpg.5c71af301942da496b18fcd9d5d94f5f.jpg

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

The berries ran away with mint leaves and are currently on the lamb, since their parents said they cantaloupe  ????

They make such a nice pear, don't they? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snooky said:

My Maa Bahn buys them somewhere here in Saphan Kwai - getting larger each time - small ones for 100 bt kg, big ones for 130.  I have eaten 4 kg in the past three weeks - yummmm!

At that price I would be eating them by the kilo as well. Lucky man.

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

Plenty northern Chiang Mai-strawberries on pickup-trucks where I live, way down south (why we pay high price, and it's also on an island), but they arrived 1-2 weeks later this year (image from Friday last week)...

Never thought I'd see the day when produce costs more in Thailand than it does in my home country... 200-250 baht a bag is crazy. I rarely even buy them here for 90 baht a bag.

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Never thought I'd see the day when produce costs more in Thailand than it does in my home country... 200-250 baht a bag is crazy. I rarely even buy them here for 90 baht a bag.

I bought 500 gram for 120 baht. In my Scandinavian home country strawberry-season prices 2020 were 230 baht per kg if you bought a discount box with 5 kg; 400 baht per kg. if you bought just 1 kg, and 200 baht pr. 500 gram.

So same price or cheaper here compared to my Scandinavian home country, even it's down south on an island is about double price of further up north, I'm happy and enjoy my "cheap" strawberries...????