Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

It seems to me an excellent solution for those (but I think few) who want to take a trip by ship and then return by car and see the beaches of the Gulf of Thailand, those of the Andaman Sea and many towns full of temples and interesting things. But the main effect, if the price were low for trucks, would be to lighten motorway traffic and reduce accidents that happen very often. I've done the Krabi-Bangkok route many times and every time I've seen one or more accidents!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It will satisfy growing needs for cargo and tourism, he claimed. 

The road trip from Songkhla is 1,000 kms. 

Interested to see their market research.  20 hours in a boat operated by the Navy compared to about 10 by car. The odds of getting killed are probably about even. I can see tourists flocking to catch this tub.

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Samui would be fantastic. Krabi and Phuket are in a different sea. A very long voyage.

Oh my goodness are you saying that planned cannel still hasn’t been dug out? ???? Anyway  I mean a terminal at Samui or maybe even bit further so the nearest towards Krabi and Phuket don’t forget i will have my SUV onboard..

13 hours ago, solafr said:

I guess it will run at most 6 months before they understand that it was one more time a stupid idea ????

An observation from those that fail to see the difference between stupidity and viability, only time will clarify the  latter.

Even if they never carry a foot passenger or car, it doesn't make it stupid. Sitting alongside Rayong, the future of this service will be determined by the cost effectiveness of freight.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A Los for words said:

Interested to see their market research.  20 hours in a boat operated by the Navy compared to about 10 by car. The odds of getting killed are probably about even. I can see tourists flocking to catch this tub.

You'd have to be lucky to get there in 10 hours.  It's about a 14 hour drive and not a very fun one.  I hate the drive.  And I LOVE road trips!

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 10:56 AM, webfact said:

Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

3pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Business News

A major new ferry service is set to begin operations to and from the eastern seaboard and the far south of Thailand. 

Run by Seahorse Ferry Co Ltd the new service will connect the Chuk Samet port in Sattahip run by the navy with the southern terminal in Songkhla. 

The 600 km journey will take 20 hours and there will be one journey per day.

Foot passengers, cars and cargo will be allowed.

The service could start as early as this month, certainly before the end of the first quarter, reported Bangkok Business News.

The plan is part of the ambitious scemes to connect the south with the Eastern Economic Corridor.

Withaya Yamuang, the chief of the harbor department said it would be the longest ferry route in Thailand beating those operated in Surat Thani. 

A ferry service from Sattahip to Bang Saphan, Prachuap Khiri Khan has been delayed because of problems with road transport in Prachuap so they are pressing ahead with the longer service first. 

The service will leave Sattahip at 2 pm and reach Songkhla at 10 am the next day.

The return service also leaves Songkhla at 2pm and will reach Sattahip at 10 am. 

There is capacity for 500-600 people, 80 truck-trailers and 20 cars. 

No prices were reported by the media who said that the only hurdle remaining was the issue of safety.

As soon as this is resolved the service will begin either this month or next. 

The company has said that if take-up is 60% of capacity they will add a second ferry. 

The navy has upgraded the Sattahip port that will be able to cater to over 1,200 people a day. 

This is part of plans to upgrade several ports. 

Source: Bangkok Business News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-01

Unfortunately this is incorrect news. The ferry service will commence February 9th, operating from Chuksamet, Sattahip to Prachuap Port, Bang Saphan. Although a study was made to operate a service to Songkhla this has so far proven extremely difficult, primarily by issues with local fishermen and authorities but ultimately due to limited deep water berths. Seahorse Ferries hope going forward that Songkhla could become a possibility but that will be later in 2021. The ferry and future vessels all meet international standards and although initially onboard services will be limited (due to the current Covid-19 restrictions) they will be upgraded in the future. 

28 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

Unfortunately this is incorrect news. The ferry service will commence February 9th, operating from Chuksamet, Sattahip to Prachuap Port, Bang Saphan. Although a study was made to operate a service to Songkhla this has so far proven extremely difficult, primarily by issues with local fishermen and authorities but ultimately due to limited deep water berths. Seahorse Ferries hope going forward that Songkhla could become a possibility but that will be later in 2021. The ferry and future vessels all meet international standards and although initially onboard services will be limited (due to the current Covid-19 restrictions) they will be upgraded in the future. 

Are you saying that this problem, which appeared in the OP source, has been resolved.

In the past, it has pushed the shipping route connecting Sattahip - Bang Saphan port. (Prachuap Khiri Khan), but still facing a problem with the road connecting the Prachuap port Making the private sector unable to navigate this route.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Looks like this is the first of 3 routes from the new Sattahip facility, 2nd and 3rd routes are international.

2. Sattahip - Koh Chang - Sihanoukville (Cambodia) - Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

3. Sattahip - Koh Samui - Singapore.

From the link in the OP.

Wow!  That would be fantastic!  Impossible to get to Vietnam by car.  With that being said, not sure I want to drive there anyway.  ????

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Looks like this is the first of 3 routes from the new Sattahip facility, 2nd and 3rd routes are international.

2. Sattahip - Koh Chang - Sihanoukville (Cambodia) - Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

3. Sattahip - Koh Samui - Singapore.

From the link in the OP.

This almost reads like cruise itinerary. Would definitely like to try that. Will they allow stopovers on the way and a discounted return?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Zero chance that trip can be done by car in 10 hours.

And very good chances of getting into an accident.  The road is terrible, trucks drive like their crazy, scooters everywhere, dangerous construction....it's not a very relaxing drive.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

Are you saying that this problem, which appeared in the OP source, has been resolved.

In the past, it has pushed the shipping route connecting Sattahip - Bang Saphan port. (Prachuap Khiri Khan), but still facing a problem with the road connecting the Prachuap port Making the private sector unable to navigate this route.

Actually access is possible but there are curfew times for large trucks during school opening and closing times. There is a plan, already approved, for the MOT to construct a bi-pass road directly to the port, but like many projects during the past year or so it has been sidelined by ongoing global events. We are ever hopeful the road will be constructed very soon, especially if the ferry proves successful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This almost reads like cruise itinerary. Would definitely like to try that. Will they allow stopovers on the way and a discounted return?

I would think that we are still a long way from the details.

Info on the first route is still as clear as mud.

• Thanks 1