Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

13 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Lol - apparently there are 3 threads running. I'd gone through 2 and I did do a search and the first 6 entries were from those threads. Never noticed the 3rd one.

Maybe we need a 4th thread where we can discuss what has been noted in the other 3 threads !

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

Sorry apparent silence..  Once again there's been lots of speculation and disinformation surrounding this project and the various indirect announcements from various sources, apparently some linked to the government departments, is not helping. We have just finalised Board of Investment procedures and have 2 steps to go.. Customs and Health Department (to ensure the vessel/operation is Covid 19 safe). Despite many of the ridiculous and definitely ill informed comments this project and vessel is professional and of a high standard. We have been encouraged to operate to Songkhla from Sattahip, but this is proving challenging due to finding a suitable safe berth. Therefore we still have the intention to start with Prachuap and assuming the final 2 steps are finalised very soon, the vessel should start operations in the coming week. Whilst some people may see this as a stupid folly, I can assure you a lot of thought and preparation has gone into this project and we are not entering into it blind or stupid. 

Thanks for  the update but the other thread on this forum quotes a government spokesman in the Daily News yesterday the company have a meet the press next month and says the opposite to your post. It is only going to Songkla  first.?? Someone is wrong.

1 hour ago, HammerMan said:

Also, we have no objection to looking at having a service to Songkhla, but to date (after studying for several years) we have not been able to secure a berth with safe access.

Again thank you for the update- if after several years you have not been able to secure a  berth with safe access you will not find one surely. It appears a non starter. Those press releases  should in my view  never have even mentioned Songkhla. It is going PKK. Nowhere else.

Edited by pontious

Please no April Fool's post in this thread...It is confusing enough already. For me, I'll be happy with either Songkhla or PKK...anything that spares me having to drive though Bangkok.

Anyway, thanks to those who are trying to help shine some light on the issue. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Please no April Fool's post in this thread...It is confusing enough already. For me, I'll be happy with either Songkhla or PKK...anything that spares me having to drive though Bangkok.

Anyway, thanks to those who are trying to help shine some light on the issue. 

Like you I travel Pattaya - Trang fairly frequently. It is a nightmare drive - only me drive. We have to stop once, maybe twice depending on traffic.

Apart from HM who seems connected to this project the company have not said anything. Not a word. This ferry has been in Thailand for over 3 months now and it has not carried a fare paying passenger anywhere.

A 200m baht ferry sat at LC and appears to be not moving anywhere. I will believe it when I see an updated website with actual information on it. After 4 years of planning they do not seem to have permission to go anywhere.

4 hours ago, HammerMan said:

To be honest I have hesitated to add more information until it was clear that the Customs Department and various other agencies had run out of requests/demands.. as of today we believe all formalities will be completed by the 7th or 8th and the vessel will move to Sattahip on the 9th. In Sattahip the vessel will spend 2-3 days installing various vending machines etc.. and have final check from the Health Department. First service is expected to start from the 12th, sailing to Songkhla as we have finally obtained access to a safe berth with the assistance of the Marine Department. Sailing times/pricing etc.. will be released very soon as to the full function of the website.

Thanks,. Are you  saying that for a 20 hour journey you will not provide meals or drinks. Only vending machines that sell coke and crisps.  People will drive and stop at a hotel. I await the website with bated breath.

15 hours ago, HammerMan said:

To be honest I have hesitated to add more information until it was clear that the Customs Department and various other agencies had run out of requests/demands.. as of today we believe all formalities will be completed by the 7th or 8th and the vessel will move to Sattahip on the 9th. In Sattahip the vessel will spend 2-3 days installing various vending machines etc.. and have final check from the Health Department. First service is expected to start from the 12th, sailing to Songkhla as we have finally obtained access to a safe berth with the assistance of the Marine Department. Sailing times/pricing etc.. will be released very soon as to the full function of the website.

Thanks for the update.  Best of luck!!!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:35 AM, HammerMan said:

Sailing times/pricing etc.. will be released very soon as to the full function of the website.

To run any service profitably pricing should be the first and most important issue and this should be done at the outset not as an afterthought....will this service ever successfully run....I very much doubt it.

55 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The negativity on this forum is pathetic.

The negativity is caused by NO information from this company at all since this was announced in October 2020. Without the updates from HM we would have known nothing. They did not plan Songkhla   because in 3 years of looking they were unable to secure a berth with safe access yet still announced  it was going there. HM himself updated " it would be a miracle if we were to find a suitable berth after several years looking. It appears someone told the Maritime agency to find one -now it appears that miracle has been found. I stand by my view if they only have vending machines for food and drinks that will deter any car/ pax using the service. They will drive and stop at a hotel. Even lorry drivers would be pushed to take enough somtam and  sticky rice for 20 plus hours. I want to use it but not on those conditions.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, pontious said:

The negativity is caused by NO information from this company at all since this was announced in October 2020. Without the updates from HM we would have known nothing. They did not plan Songkhla   because in 3 years of looking they were unable to secure a berth with safe access yet still announced  it was going there. HM himself updated " it would be a miracle if we were to find a suitable berth after several years looking. It appears someone told the Maritime agency to find one -now it appears that miracle has been found. I stand by my view if they only have vending machines for food and drinks that will deter any car/ pax using the service. They will drive and stop at a hotel. Even lorry drivers would be pushed to take enough somtam and  sticky rice for 20 plus hours. I want to use it but not on those conditions.

stand by my view if they only have vending machines for food and drinks that will deter any car/ pax using the service.

It was explained a few weeks ago when I asked HM the question about food and drink that due to COVID-19 regulations only vending machines would be available until the situation improves, then a full restaurant service would be provided, there is nothing to prevent you from taking an ice box with beer & sandwiches for you & your family, or is that oh so difficult for you.

Can someone more clever than me on computers go to 'Royal Coast review.com'  and click lifestyle/ travel and post a link about this ferry dated 29 March 2021. That says it starts mid 2021 and will provide food and beverages just like a cruise ship.?

10 minutes ago, pontious said:

Can someone more clever than me on computers go to 'Royal Coast review.com'  and click lifestyle/ travel and post a link about this ferry dated 29 March 2021. That says it starts mid 2021 and will provide food and beverages just like a cruise ship.?

This is the reply from member Hammerman,

It's a shame that there are so many negative posts about this service, will there be a licensed  bar on board ? And I appreciate that this is a Thai service but will there be Western food available ? So much nicer than driving. ????????

Very valid questions. With the current Covid-19 restrictions we are limited to several vending machines being available. However long term we hope that hot food and drinks will be available and a store similar to 711 supplying additional food and drinks.

59 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

This is the reply from member Hammerman,

It's a shame that there are so many negative posts about this service, will there be a licensed  bar on board ? And I appreciate that this is a Thai service but will there be Western food available ? So much nicer than driving. ????????

Very valid questions. With the current Covid-19 restrictions we are limited to several vending machines being available. However long term we hope that hot food and drinks will be available and a store similar to 711 supplying additional food and drinks.

I am aware of that -I asked if someone could post a link to the article I quoted.

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I read it, for what purpose ? There is no more on there than on here ????

It's because in that article there is a line - right at the end  - that casually mentions food and drink will be available, where in reality due to Covid restrictions there will initially only be vending machines.  He thinks this is worthy of highlighting and that he is a detective genius for spotting it and he wants the world to know.

And seriously, who doesn't know how to copy and paste a URL?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pontious said:

https://royalcoastreview.com/2021/03/revised-ferry-plans-now-chonburi-to-songkhla-but-bypassing-prachuap-khiri-khan/

• Thanks 1