Sattahip to Songkhla car ferry service set to begin by March, Prachuap Khiri Khan misses out - for now

webfact

2 hours ago, HammerMan said:

First truck loading..   But.. have to wait about a week in Sattahip to get final license now.. then finally we can hopefully officially  start.. even if only trucks first.

15MTC_1748_IMG.png?itok=LhL_-aujNot a peck and hale in sight. Should be hanging on the bulkheads.

• Confused 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, HammerMan said:

Short update..  vessel berthed at Songkhla and on the face of it everything went perfectly to plan. Authorities from various Government and Military agencies all boarded and were more than satisfied with everything and the vessel received a seal of approval in all aspects....  But, this is Thailand and we always have to expect the unexpected and we definitely didn't see what happened next coming....

The operator of the berth suddenly announced that we couldn't use the berth going forward as they had already signed an agreement with a major oil company for their offshore supply vessels to berth there.  This means we're back to square one to find a suitable/safe berth or scrap Songkhla and go back to Prachuap..  After almost 5 years of talking, planning and being "encouraged" to operate out of Songkhla with all sorts of promises, it is unbelievably frustrating to now be in this position..  Anyway, hopefully an urgent solution will be found soon..

Very sorry to hear that, welcome to the wonderful world of Thailand. You may need to respond to some concerns on another thread after your trip to check things out, I'll tag you to make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HammerMan said:

In case you were wondering what's the latest with The Blue Dolphin and the ever evasive ferry service, which has already experienced 6 months of bureaucratic delays and endless meetings/discussions and multiple visits from a multitude of Government Organisations .. the answer is basically still "deadlocked".  The Marine Department in Songkhla still hasn't agreed to commencing the service for reasons best known to themselves, apparently for fear of the local residents objecting to the additional traffic the ferry may bring to the area. Never mind about boosting tourism, creating jobs and boosting the economy which in these crazy times are desperately needed.

To say we are reaching breaking point is an understatement and as previously suggested by some contributors it maybe time to take this project to other countries.  At the moment it looks like mid July is D-Day, win or lose.

Sorry to read about your frustrations but not too surprised....

4 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

To say we are reaching breaking point is an understatement and as previously suggested by some contributors it maybe time to take this project to other countries.  At the moment it looks like mid July is D-Day, win or lose.

Not entirely surprising (as other projects have failed to) but  still very disappointing news ????

perhaps you need to invest in larger brown envelopes ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HammerMan said:

In case you were wondering what's the latest with The Blue Dolphin and the ever evasive ferry service, which has already experienced 6 months of bureaucratic delays and endless meetings/discussions and multiple visits from a multitude of Government Organisations .. the answer is basically still "deadlocked".  The Marine Department in Songkhla still hasn't agreed to commencing the service for reasons best known to themselves, apparently for fear of the local residents objecting to the additional traffic the ferry may bring to the area. Never mind about boosting tourism, creating jobs and boosting the economy which in these crazy times are desperately needed.

Sad to hear this but unfortunately this is Thailand. Maybe as last resort you could try to tell your story to international press. Bad reporting is always seen as loss of face and incompetence. Hope this helps! Good luck

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CLW said:

Sad to hear this but unfortunately this is Thailand. Maybe as last resort you could try to tell your story to international press. Bad reporting is always seen as loss of face and incompetence. Hope this helps! Good luck

If this project isn't successful, it sends a clear message to other companies that may consider setting up a similar service here in the future that Thailand is closed for business.

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

If this project isn't successful, it sends a clear message to other companies that may consider setting up a similar service here in the future that Thailand is closed for business.

Or taken over by CP

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, HammerMan said:

The Marine Department and Pilots have truly been trying to help and find a resolution

9 hours ago, HammerMan said:

The Marine Department in Songkhla still hasn't agreed to commencing the service

The Marine Department - one minute being helpful and the next not.???

As much as I would like this venture to succeed it appears doomed to failure.

A 200m Baht ferry sat here for 6 months and has not carried any revenue pax / vehicles  anywhere. One test run and the rest of the time in port.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, HammerMan said:

Hammer, sorry as well to hear this bad news...perhaps once again a promising project will stall..so many possibilities as to why. Hopefully you find some way forward. Good luck with the effort! By the way, was there no contract agreed on to provide this service struck in advance of all this investment and expense? Or was there but it was reneged on?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:44 PM, HammerMan said:

Appreciate the positive support..  Yes agreements were drawn up, of which one condition was the safe berthing/un-berthing of the vessel. Hence the test run (empty) to Songkhla, but despite everything going perfectly the parties reneged.  We're hopeful of a resolution very soon.

Of course we never anticipated the Covid-19 3rd wave and the amazing effects its had on Thailand, which as a consequence blew away the idea to operate through Prachuap Port, as the through-put (at this time) disappeared. 

We still have a positive outlook on the project, but many of the problems were/are beyond our control.  

I heard you got approval?  A message from a friend who met you a few weeks ago:

Songkhla has given green light for docking so the Sattahip-Songkhla service will start June 28th

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I heard you got approval?  A message from a friend who met you a few weeks ago:

Songkhla has given green light for docking so the Sattahip-Songkhla service will start June 28th

More importantly, were the fish farmers paid off?  ????

• Haha 1

The ferry will begin service with a soft opening whilst we install additional food and beverage facilities and better section off accommodation areas.. First voyage from Sattahip will be 1st July 2021..  Having battled for 5 years to get this far, we will settle down this route prior to expanding further. We also anticipate that eventually we'll have competitors. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Jeffr2 said:

I've done the drive down to just past Surat Thani, and down to Koh Lanta and Phuket several times.  It's no fun.  The road is in bad shape in places, trucks fill the highways, and lots of stops when going through the various towns along the way.  It's not a relaxing drive.

I've love to try this ferry service.  Depends on the price.

I agree. The north-south highway is a boil on the face of the nation. Road construction continues, truck traffic (due to a lack of planning with regard to train cargo decades ago) is horrendous, and really slows down the drive. It is not a fun drive. And then you have to factor in the road maniacs.

Alternatives are needed. I would use this service. That is easily a 12-15 hour drive and timing always has to be factored in, when it comes to driving through Bangkok. I won't drive through Bangkok anymore, unless it is before 6am, or after 9pm. 

I would do nearly anything, short of committing a triple homicide, to avoid that drive. It is miserable. A boat would be a sheer delight by comparison. 

Sometimes you want to have your car with you, on the other end. 

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Patience grasshopper ????

Pricing is pending Marine Department approval who still have not responded. However you can contact the customer service help line for further information.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, HammerMan said:

Yes we have agreement with all concerned parties and a verbal agreement with the Songkhla Marine Department. We will submit Monday a formal request from the Marine Department in Bangkok for written confirmation and approval of proposed pricing. We also understand we can also carry cars and only restriction is no 'walk in passengers', i.e. not in a vehicle will be allowed at this stage. Our target start date is 28th June, assuming Marine Department do not raise any objections. Will update soonest.

Hammer

Just logged in tonight after a long absence...actually expecting bad news but now cautiously optimistic. NA summer is my best time to hit the road so in the next week or so I hope to hit it and maybe the ferry is gonna be a go?  As mentioned below, hoping to see price sheet and schedule to make final determination if it is a fit. Will get wife to give office a call. Sure hope it can work out. And congratulations on navigating the business and bureaucratic roadblocks to launch, I know it can be a battle.

Hope I can find a path to board in the next few weeks to head south..or maybe the reverse a month or so later, see how it goes

Cheers

On 6/24/2021 at 3:10 PM, HammerMan said:

First voyage from Sattahip will be 1st July 2021..

This must be the unluckiest business venture of all time.

Despite heroic efforts to get this up and running we now have   the covid situation and restrictions in Songkhla. I expect  an update from HM soon - I cannot see it starting in 3 days time.