How to go cashless in Bangkok?

Meanies

I'm looking for advice on how to use physical cash less often. 

I'm used to the whole tap and go with VISA or the like back home but not sure what the equivalent is here.  Do I need a rabbit card?  Can I tap with my phone?  I see people scanning QR codes to make payments.. not sure what that's all about!

I have a Bangkok Bank account.  7-11 gets most of my transactions.  Any advice would be most appreciated!

I use True Money Wallet for 7-eleven and Pizza Company amongst others (it also works in some makro stores).

You can push-load it from your BKK Bank account, or link it to a Thai credit card so it pulls funds from the card when you use it.

Fairly easy to set up and a piece of cake to use once you have it. Your phone displays a QR code and the 7-eleven clerk scans it, beep, paid!

Line Pay (with or without Rabbit) works in a similar way although I'm not sure if 7-eleven accept it.

The only caveat is to ensure your app is up to date before going shopping ???? 

Your bank probably has Scan to Pay on their app, this works the other way round, the shop displays a QR and you scan with the banking app, I tend to use this for bill payments.

Contactless Visa/Master cards are becoming more common too, ask your bank.

• Like 2

I use LinePay, TrueWallet, PromptPay and credit cards. I not use much cash anymore. But especially for some very small shops they still need cash. But especially PromptPay (or transfer money to their account) is right now accepted by most. Even Foodpanda and other delivery accept that you transfer they money to their account.

For me I would say credit card is my biggest using, then comes PromptPay and at the end its LinePay and TrueWallet. The last two I used from time to time as there are some cashbacks involved. For example I can buy a small drink for 30 baht, and become at one of my favorite stores then 10 baht back once a month!

QR can be used for Promptpay (this you often see a QR Code with the PromptPay sign), but you also could put in their Telephone number, ID number or direct their bank account which at the end has the same outcome. But QR is also used for LinePay or TrueWallet or many different other small payment methods here in Thailand. LinePay for example I used in Taiwan as well. worked great!

At 7/11, I use the TrueMoney app, which is also useful to top up my MRT card cashless. It's also accepted at many other places. Elsewhere I use a Rabbit card (often), PromptPay QR code payments (occasionally) and Visa card payments (occasionally). Grab is linked to my Visa card as well, so my deliveries and rides are also cashless.

All things considered, I use cash a lot less. In Bangkok, I mostly carry it around as just a backup.

More or less on topic 

Now then  i tried to use my Bangkok bank card in 711 (just out of sheer devilment)

Evidently 711 dont take Bangkok bank cards

Who is being difficult them or BKK bank

Edited by poohy

You may well be able to go cashless in Bangkok but you will never be able to access all goods and services that way.  Thailand operates on cash and will do for many years yet.  The 'black economy' is very strong in Thailand and long may it remain so.

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

At my massage place you can present your card.......All you will get is a blank stare

For heavens sake, stick some cash in your back pocket, or are you brainwashed into leaving a trail so Governments can see every Baht or $ you spend

Under the instruction of Bill Gates the nanites in the vaccine will be able track everything you do and send that information to your American Government... Its too late unless you go completely off the grid... lose your phone, bin all RFID cards and definitely get rid of that computer, your online presence is giving away all your spending secrets !!!! :whistling:

15 minutes ago, natway09 said:

At my massage place you can present your card.......All you will get is a blank stare

For heavens sake, stick some cash in your back pocket, or are you brainwashed into leaving a trail so Governments can see every Baht or $ you spend

Many normal massage shops accepts transfers or PromptPay. Very easy to handle and cheaper for the shops. That's the main reason why many not accept Credit cards. PromptPay is a free transfer (no fees)

If you know anything about Visa & Mastercard, you should know they charge a FEE to the business accepting payments.  Small businesses can't afford this fee.  So, you're basically saying you want to pay more when you use a card vs cash.

Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever ????

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Under the instruction of Bill Gates the nanites in the vaccine will be able track everything you do and send that information to your American Government... Its too late unless you go completely off the grid... lose your phone, bin all RFID cards and definitely get rid of that computer, your online presence is giving away all your spending secrets !!!! :whistling:

Farang countries obviously aren't sending their brightest people.