Pattaya: D-Day for the Walking Street cable burying - dignitaries all staring down a big hole!

webfact

It started out as a ceremony but take a better look at their faces, I've seen the look before when a hole was made to do work, it was putting drains on Siam Country Club road, same with the drains being put in along the road next to the Railroad tracks on the Darkside.

What you see with that hole a lot more work got to be done since the hole is fill with water that is what is under Walking Street, a river of its own, get the scuba gear out!

You got to love the planning?  They have been talking about this for some time while the pandemic and the economy shut down they had plenty of time to start the work. Since July the clubs opening and doing their best to survive under the pandemic then the second closure. I went down last night they had the entrance block off work light on so I came in from 2nd Road, only two clubs were opened Windmill and Tantra, Pin Up top club prior closed!  What timing! if the pandemic didn't kill the clubs this will!

Edited by thailand49

8 minutes ago, adammike said:
8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It still would be good to know what these 'boxes every sixteen metres' are needed for. No answers so far.

Junction boxes?

Sorry to be abrupt, but junction boxes for what?

I'm still looking for a reasonable technical answer. To cross-connect the PEA main supply feeding customers?

For what reason is that necessary?

Other countries (this isn't a side-track) can do it by teeing into the (PEA) supply and feeding to each building as the supply goes past it. It also copes with heavy rain and flooding, so that's not special to Thailand.

The tee is buried outside each premises. Some places may have a small 'box' flush in the ground per building, for maintenance access.

If the PEA are doing it to cross-connect to customers, then it defies the point of having the supply underground, as half the system is still above ground with these boxes. All that's happened is the 'rats nest 'of overhead mains cables has been replaced by big boxes every sixteen metres.

• Like 2

Thai Tourism Laid to Rest

TAT grave.jpg

After a long and cruel struggle against stupidity, greed and xenophobia, Thai tourism has been removed from life support and formally declared deceased.

Tourism was buried today in its Pattaya home in a simple ceremony attended by close friends and family.

TAT is requesting cash donations in lieu of flowers.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm still looking for a reasonable technical answer. To cross-connect the PEA main supply feeding customers?

For what reason is that necessary?

To be able to isolate the feeders to subsections of the network , ie one box allowing several buildings to be powered and isolated and having limit protection. If there is a fault on the street the ability to isolate subsections helps in the location and repair. (Providing there isn't  large smoke plume or fire doing that job for you). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

To be able to isolate the feeders to subsections of the network , ie one box allowing several buildings to be powered and isolated and having limit protection. If there is a fault on the street the ability to isolate subsections helps in the location and repair. (Providing there isn't  large smoke plume or fire doing that job for you). 

Thanks, an answer at last.

My background is telecoms, not electrics but I know in the UK there are none of these.

From a ductwork point of view there aren't large distribution access points in the ground for example, being involved in the ductwork for telecoms. For the electrics, each premises is fed by teeing off underground from the main supply.

How can other places do this without these intrusive cabinets? What happens if there is a similar fault condition, or is the chance much rarer elsewhere for example?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks, an answer at last.

Just taking a stab at it..... 

My background is telecoms, not electrics but I know in the UK there are none of these.

In the UK there are substation buildings, usually garage to small house size, fenced off with waring signs where all this can be done. there is usually a transformer outside too. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1