Pattaya: D-Day for the Walking Street cable burying - dignitaries all staring down a big hole!

webfact

On 2/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, bluesofa said:

It still would be good to know what these 'boxes every sixteen metres' are needed for. No answers so far.

the explosives have to be spaced no more than 16meters apart to have a successful and a controlled demolition of the 101 restaurants located on the seaside!

Edited by pattayadude
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, NCC1701A said:

"We cover this like an animal trap and after the tourists falls in we charge them 1000 baht each to pull them out. What do you think?" 

5pm1.jpg.4b326f43f3ca70e1b1a264ed1b7a6850.jpg

Where are the fishing poles?  ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:13 PM, bluesofa said:

@Thaiwrath - fame at last!

It still would be good to know what these 'boxes every sixteen metres' are needed for. No answers so far.

Probably connections to the building in the vicinity. London has buried cables under the pavements and doesn't have boxes above ground- could they know something that Pattaya engineers don't?

I thought they were joking when the picture of the cables under middle of the road was published in a thread. Seriously, I hope they don't need to dig up the road every time a cable fails.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 11:02 PM, Benmart said:

I agree. They could spend time walking on the foot paths to gauge the deplorable condition of same, complete with hanging wires and crumbling cutouts for wheelchairs. Another photo opportunity.

Ummmm, the whole point of the exercise is so there are no hanging wires.

However, Walking Street has been quite successful for 2 1/2 decades with hanging wires, so one wonders why it is necessary to bury them now. Could it be because they need a money maker because the tourists don't come any more?

On 2/2/2021 at 11:54 PM, thailand49 said:

It started out as a ceremony but take a better look at their faces, I've seen the look before when a hole was made to do work, it was putting drains on Siam Country Club road, same with the drains being put in along the road next to the Railroad tracks on the Darkside.

What you see with that hole a lot more work got to be done since the hole is fill with water that is what is under Walking Street, a river of its own, get the scuba gear out!

You got to love the planning?  They have been talking about this for some time while the pandemic and the economy shut down they had plenty of time to start the work. Since July the clubs opening and doing their best to survive under the pandemic then the second closure. I went down last night they had the entrance block off work light on so I came in from 2nd Road, only two clubs were opened Windmill and Tantra, Pin Up top club prior closed!  What timing! if the pandemic didn't kill the clubs this will!

That may be the plan all along. Get rid of the adult entertainment and only child friendly businesses allowed in future.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:51 AM, bluesofa said:

Sorry to be abrupt, but junction boxes for what?

I'm still looking for a reasonable technical answer. To cross-connect the PEA main supply feeding customers?

For what reason is that necessary?

Other countries (this isn't a side-track) can do it by teeing into the (PEA) supply and feeding to each building as the supply goes past it. It also copes with heavy rain and flooding, so that's not special to Thailand.

The tee is buried outside each premises. Some places may have a small 'box' flush in the ground per building, for maintenance access.

If the PEA are doing it to cross-connect to customers, then it defies the point of having the supply underground, as half the system is still above ground with these boxes. All that's happened is the 'rats nest 'of overhead mains cables has been replaced by big boxes every sixteen metres.

LOL. One obviously forgets that all projects have to cost as much as possible for the usual reasons. Your tees will not produce as much revenue as boxes and as large as possible. If they are so large they force pedestrians to walk in the street, so much the better. Anyone been in LOS longer than 5 minutes knows that only losos walk, and losos don't count for anything.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:57 PM, jacko45k said:

To be able to isolate the feeders to subsections of the network , ie one box allowing several buildings to be powered and isolated and having limit protection. If there is a fault on the street the ability to isolate subsections helps in the location and repair. (Providing there isn't  large smoke plume or fire doing that job for you). 

I guess that central London electrical engineers don't agree with you. No boxes along central London pavements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Probably connections to the building in the vicinity. London has buried cables under the pavements and doesn't have boxes above ground- could they know something that Pattaya engineers don't?

I thought they were joking when the picture of the cables under middle of the road was published in a thread. Seriously, I hope they don't need to dig up the road every time a cable fails.

In other places they often put a spare length of draw-rope in the ductwork, so that if additional/replacement is needed at some point, it can be used to draw a new length of cable through the duct, without the need to dig up the road.

There are also 'mole ploughing' options.

Some manoeuvre themselves through empty ductwork. Other versions can bore a hole underground to install ductwork.

I'm sure this won't happen for a few years here though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

In other places they often put a spare length of draw-rope in the ductwork, so that if additional/replacement is needed at some point, it can be used to draw a new length of cable through the duct, without the need to dig up the road.

There are also 'mole ploughing' options.

Some manoeuvre themselves through empty ductwork. Other versions can bore a hole underground to install ductwork.

I'm sure this won't happen for a few years here though.

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to bury them under the pavement as in London, so they only have to dig up the pavement and not the road?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to bury them under the pavement as in London, so they only have to dig up the pavement and not the road?

Yes it would, but in Thailand there isn't enough pavement (if any).

It's also quite narrow compared to say London, so trying to burying all the utilities under a narrow pavement would make it even harder than they are making it at the moment.

edit:
In the UK there is cooperation between the utility companies to share information where their ducts are buried. It avoids a lot of unnecessary severing of other companies ductwork.

Edited by bluesofa
Addendum
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It's also quite narrow compared to say London, so trying to burying all the utilities under a narrow pavement would make it even harder than they are making it at the moment.

Fair enough, but they could bury them on the sides of the road instead of the middle. That way the road doesn't get completely closed when it all goes wrong, as it will- nothing lasts forever.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough, but they could bury them on the sides of the road instead of the middle. That way the road doesn't get completely closed when it all goes wrong, as it will- nothing lasts forever.

That involves 'forward planning' - a little-known concept here.

• Like 1

I bet that smells to high heaven. Dual purpose masks I'm sure! 
I'm surprised someone isn't making offering to the Naga God who likes to frequent wells and underground water sources as well as rivers of course. 

5pm1.jpg.4b326f43f3ca70e1b1a264ed1b7a6850.jpg.3faad72078ce35595ac8dc438ef6f3eb.jpg

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I guess that central London electrical engineers don't agree with you. No boxes along central London pavements.

I never discussed it with them. In the UK they built substations which do the job. 

But there are boxes here and there, for the phone landlines.

Edited by jacko45k

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, but those boxes don't obstruct the pavements to any great extent.

Well of course not.... obstructing pavements, if they ever exist at all, is a National Pastime here in Thailand. I hope Walking St reverts to traffic bans in the future.... right now it is not good for foot traffic nor vehicular, full of great big concrete boxes being constructed. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, but those boxes don't obstruct the pavements to any great extent.

They will put some chairs on the boxes and sell them as VIP viewing areas of Waling Street.  It's all part of the Neo plan.  ????

• Like 1

pardon me if i'm wrong but does this have something to do with what Bill Gates was making drama about?

he had a pictures of a big  old mess of cables that were used from Telco (TV cable, fiber, etc) mess and acted like it was a mess of electric cables?

the third picture has the mess that I am talking about but his pictures were 10x worse..

those are not electric cables.. the electric cables are way higher. so they are burying electrical cables now? great..

ok so maybe some idiots mixed electric cables in the telco messes (wouldn't surprise me) but it will not fix those nests of cables that is the result of 3BB, True and everyone else that are running cables everywhere every time they have new customers

9 hours ago, kekalot said:

ok so maybe some idiots mixed electric cables in the telco messes (wouldn't surprise me) but it will not fix those nests of cables that is the result of 3BB, True and everyone else that are running cables everywhere every time they have new customers

Yes the power cables are usually at the top and the communication ones positioned below, and the latter are the mess. There is a pole at the corner of my house and only 3 more houses up the dead end street, and yet they have created a right old tangled mess... feeding nowhere.