Online B.Ed TESOL

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of either Paris College of International Education or Oregon Institute of International Education? Both appear to be linked, and are offering a B.Ed TESOL online for relatively low prices. But I'm unable to find any information or reviews online that aren't directly on their websites, with a low amount of activity on the Facebook pages as well.

Hoping someone might have some insight?

On 2/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, dakineto said:

Never heard of them.  But Bruce Veldhuisen is the  director and founder of PCIE?   Hmmm...

The Oregon name reminded me of him, too. Perhaps, he quit claiming affiliation with the University of Washington, and Oregon was the closest alternative. 

If the numerous grammar errors on their website aren't a red flag, you deserve it.  However, you could attend those schools for a decade, and still be a first semester freshman, upon transferring to a reputable university in the US. 

"By law, OIIE cannot offer degree programs to Oregon residents."

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, moontang said:

However, you could attend those schools for a decade, and still be a first semester freshman, upon transferring to a reputable university in the US. 

I'd wager most Thai based students wouldn't care less about transferring to a reputable university in the US, but if it will simply get them a Work Permit in Thailand. 

• 2 months later...

Oiie or Oregon institute of International Education has been operating as a 501c3 non-profit organizationsl since 2004.  You can check it with the state of oregon.

The Certificate course I found it in 1998 was affiliated with the University of Washington for a little over a year. You could get confirmation of that from Dr Bill Leon who worked there at the time. That affiliation ended but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I've been running higher education programs for over 10 years now and had hundreds of students graduate. Total students who have enrolled are well over a thousand.

Some of our recent graduates from Perris college of International Education have received their teaching license from karusapa here in Thailand.

Yeah there are off controls who are jealous? Haters? I don't know what to say. I'm generally not worried about it.  

Out of the 30,000 students who have joined educational programs from the organizations I've operated, you can certainly find a handful who were unhappy with their experience. But you can't find anyone that's been cheated. And the vast majority were very happy with the experience.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GoDucks said:

Oiie or Oregon institute of International Education has been operating as a 501c3 non-profit organizationsl since 2004.  You can check it with the state of oregon.

The Certificate course I found it in 1998 was affiliated with the University of Washington for a little over a year. You could get confirmation of that from Dr Bill Leon who worked there at the time. That affiliation ended but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I've been running higher education programs for over 10 years now and had hundreds of students graduate. Total students who have enrolled are well over a thousand.

Some of our recent graduates from Perris college of International Education have received their teaching license from karusapa here in Thailand.

Yeah there are off controls who are jealous? Haters? I don't know what to say. I'm generally not worried about it.  

Out of the 30,000 students who have joined educational programs from the organizations I've operated, you can certainly find a handful who were unhappy with their experience. But you can't find anyone that's been cheated. And the vast majority were very happy with the experience.

So why are you forbidden from offering degree programs in the state the organization is named after? 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

So why are you forbidden from offering degree programs in the state the organization is named after? 

Rules from the department of Education in oregon. It's not like nonsensical bureaucratic rules don't exist in other places besides thailand.

Technically, according to the rules of the state of Oregon, only colleges and universities that are formally recognized by the state department of Education can promote their degrees to students in oregon.

At one point, about 2 years ago, I actually approached the state of Oregon to find out what steps would be necessary to make oiie degree granting. It became very clear that this would never be possible. They seemed to be in the business of protecting the current colleges and universities and definitely wanted to keep out any potential competitors.

4 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Just do it locally. Why give yourself a headache with those dodgy schools. Plenty enough here.

A few reasons:

Thai higher education programs are generally taught in Thai.  Only a few are taught in English and they are usually quite expensive.

Thai colleges and universities are not generally recognized as being of high quality.

Thai colleges and universities are often not very well received outside of thailand.

But obviously people should decide for themselves and make the best choices they feel are available to them.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, JeffersLos said:

I'd wager most Thai based students wouldn't care less about transferring to a reputable university in the US, but if it will simply get them a Work Permit in Thailand. 

And I think the teacher's license as well as license waivers last a max of six years IIRC.

15 hours ago, cdemundo said:

And I think the teacher's license as well as license waivers last a max of six years IIRC.

We have had students grad with B.Ed. in TESOL from PCIE and get a teaching license from karusapa

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:27 AM, kynikoi said:

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

60k and months of tortured attendance will get you a license from KHRUSAPA locally.

Could you clarify about getting the license locally?

That sounds like a good alternative, it is a lot less expensive than any other route to a license I have seen.

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

That sounds like a good alternative, it is a lot less expensive than any other route to a license I have seen.

Bachelor's in Education from Ramkhamhang might do it. Diploma PGTE from that Filipino "school" should almost certainly do it. I wouldn't expect much of an education from either but you should qualify for a licence.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Bachelor's in Education from Ramkhamhang might do it. Diploma PGTE from that Filipino "school" should almost certainly do it. I wouldn't expect much of an education from either but you should qualify for a licence.

So it went from "60k and months of tortured attendance will get you a license from KHRUSAPA locally." to "might do it."  LOL. Perhaps you might want to be sure before you go giving out free advise.

I would all but guarantee the Ram option will not work.  I do not see a B.Ed. there in English (International program).  There are also quotas for all local degrees.

PCIE is not a "might do it" as it has been done.

Edited by GoDucks

20 hours ago, cdemundo said:

PCIE is changing the way we offer courses and the new price for M.ED is actually right around 60,000 baht.  And you can take the first course without even having to pay to see the quality.  B.Ed. just a bit more expensive.

But not announced yet.  The new pricing will be on www.pcie.ac in a week or so.

Or you "might" be able to get license by following someone else's advise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, GoDucks said:

So it went from "60k and months of tortured attendance will get you a license from KHRUSAPA locally." to "might do it."  LOL. Perhaps you might want to be sure before you go giving out free advise

How can I possibly guarantee someone a Thai license? Especially when they will complete this in not months but years? From start to finish by the time that you end up with a teaching license in your hand it will probably be over 2 years. The TCT has never clarified any universities or degrees in which they will carte blanche provide a license for. It's all speculation 100%.

Apparently we do agree that the Filipino school will provide a license therefore no one needs to take that course you're fobbing off.

The real point you're driving at is you're pushing some overseas course that somehow you're a part of which is obvious.

Edited by kynikoi

41 minutes ago, GoDucks said:

PCIE is changing the way we offer courses and the new price for M.ED is actually right around 60,000 baht.  And you can take the first course without even having to pay to see the quality.  B.Ed. just a bit more expensive.

But not announced yet.  The new pricing will be on www.pcie.ac in a week or so.

Or you "might" be able to get license by following someone else's advise.

What about the B.Ed in TESOL?

Does that qualify a person for Thai teacher's license?

I am not interested in teaching elsewhere so really only care about the Thai teacher's license.

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

Does that qualify a person for Thai teacher's license?

I am not interested in teaching elsewhere so really only care about the Thai teacher's license.

Again, past graduates of the Paris College of International Education B.Ed. have received teaching licenses from the Karusapa here in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

No one can say with utmost certainty.

The general rule is that you submit a diploma with education in the title. So since this is a Bachelor's of Education TESOL it should work. But I would believe not because of the TESOL but the fact it's a bachelor of Education.

That is a very weird title you might want to be careful with that.

After removing 30+ argumentative, inflammatory and off-topic posts, I am inclined to give suspensions but you will be given one more chance to either stay on topic or stop posting.   

It is REALLY, REALLY annoying to anyone looking for the answer to a question to have to wade through pages of arguing and nonsense.  

Please stay on topic.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

No one can say with utmost certainty.

The general rule is that you submit a diploma with education in the title. So since this is a Bachelor's of Education TESOL it should work. But I would believe not because of the TESOL but the fact it's a bachelor of Education.

That is a very weird title you might want to be careful with that.

From my direct communications with Karusapa, over a nine-year period, BA in anything, including education, is not allowed.  Degrees must be Bachelor or Master of Education (B.Ed. or M.Ed.).

Have a good night!

• Like 1

So how can a prospective student get confirmation from the Thai Ministry of Whatever that the online B.Ed from PCIE is accepted for a Work Permit.

I don't mean confirmation like a poster saying "two students have gotten them already!"

I mean linked confirmation from a Thai ministry (via database, etc) that this degree is automatically accepted by the Department of Labor and Ministry of Education.

11 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So how can a prospective student get confirmation from the Thai Ministry of Whatever that the online B.Ed from PCIE is accepted for a Work Permit.

I don't mean confirmation like a poster saying "two students have gotten them already!"

I mean linked confirmation from a Thai ministry (via database, etc) that this degree is automatically accepted by the Department of Labor and Ministry of Education.

Unfortunately, this does not exist for overseas degrees.  But Work Permit and Teaching license are different things.  

Edited by GoDucks

1 hour ago, GoDucks said:

Unfortunately

Okay, so there is no Thai confirmation that this online B.Ed from this institute will be accepted by the Thai Department of Labor and Ministry of Education for a Work Permit etc. 

That is what prospective students in Thailand need to know. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Okay, so there is no Thai confirmation that this online B.Ed from this institute will be accepted by the Thai Department of Labor and Ministry of Education for a Work Permit etc. 

That's actually not true. Like every other degree, this will immediately be accepted for a work permit.  Work permits are easy. Teaching licenses are not.

Teaching licenses require a bachelor of Education or a masters of education. And even these are not automatically accepted.

In the situation of Paris college of international education, of course the degree can get you a valid work permit. And it has been used by graduates to get a teaching license.

In other words, it's one of the few degrees that will get you both.

The fact that the teachers council of Thailand doesn't have some kind of formalized list of overseas degrees means that the only University you would be able to attend, to my knowledge, is RMUTR in bangkok. That would be your only single choice under your criteria.

But even though the teachers council doesn't have an official list of overseas degrees, the fact there are certain degrees that they have accepted means that they will almost certainly accept them in the future.  And pcie has been accepted for a teacher's license by our graduates.

It would seem that you are putting forward some rather impossible hoops for me to jump through which seems simply unfair.

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Agreed.  Uncertainty is just about at the top of the list of problems with living in LOS, even as a legal retiree, let alone teaching as a foreigner.  No matter how good or bad the program in question may be.  "Should," "could," and "probably," are not words that should be spoken in business matters, but you are constantly told that on all things farang.  I repatriated all my assets last month from LOS to the US, and was treated like a criminal from start to finish.  

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

Agreed.  Uncertainty is just about at the top of the list of problems with living in LOS, even as a legal retiree, let alone teaching as a foreigner.  No matter how good or bad the program in question may be.  "Should," "could," and "probably," are not words that should be spoken in business matters, but you are constantly told that on all things farang.  I repatriated all my assets last month from LOS to the US, and was treated like a criminal from start to finish.  

I've been working in Asia and in higher education for a few decades now. And I've been living in Thailand for quite some time.

But it doesn't matter so much where I live. There are things that I can personally control and there are things that I cannot control. I would never guarantee something that I don't control.

I've been in Thailand long enough to see the rules on teaching licenses change several times. In other words I've been here a long time. How can I know that the rules won't change? Because it's not me that would issue the teaching license.

Anyone who would guarantee something they do not control would be a fool. 

I know someone who had quite a successful School in California 4 years ago. But after the election of Donald Trump, getting a visa to participate in a work and travel program became quite difficult.

Things change that are out of our control. All I can tell you is that we've never had a student rejected for a teaching license here in thailand.

I'm not really looking for any special treatment from anyone here, but I would like Fair treatment. Some of you don't seem to be willing to do that.

Again, if you want a guarantee, you have exactly one choice: RMUTR.  They are a thai government University that offers a B. Ed. taught In English.

Edited by GoDucks