info on Thai military lottery for son returning to LOS from US?

jaideeguy

Not sure which forum to post this so mods can move it if needed.

As the title says, my adopted [but still Thai citizen] will be returning to his 'mother country' from the US after being a student [with legal deferment from draft] but now has to face the music and determine his fate for the next year or ?. 

A few questions and concerns come up....................wife [here in US] is dealing with the Thai embassy who has referred her to an 'agent' to make the travel/quarantine arrangements [for a fee, of course] which I was cautious of at first until she said that the agent mentioned that my boy could avail of the government quarantine for no cost.  including rent and 3 meals a day, wifi, TV.  Too good to pass up. Any remarks on this??

now, the military issue................. wife also read on her 'trusty' facebook that the 'BIG GENERAL'  is considering making the military all voluntary so that may cancel our plans.  Any truth to this rumor ??

Thanks in advance for any input.......................

For Europe and Australia, the free Thai state quarantine (SQ) is bundled with repatriation flights organized by the local Thai Embassy and flying Thai (the airline). Since I don't think that Thai (the airline) are servicing repatriation from the continental US, maybe the SQ flights are with other carriers? The embassy would know for sure. Otherwise and publicly, it is only ASQ which is the self-funded option. However, since the Embassy is already mentioning agents, other options appear to exist. SQ is typically done at more austere venues such as military camps or annexes at certain state or military hospitals.

WRT the end of conscription, not according to this from last November.

An opposition party’s push for military reform has hit trouble after its draft law to abolish conscription was shot down before making it to Parliament.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayut-shoots-down-bid-to-scrap-military-draft/

Let him enlist. Get some backbone in the man.

2 hours ago, jaideeguy said:

Too good to pass up. Any remarks on this??

I dunno about all this paying agents stuff sounds dodgy to me.

My Thai son was in Uni but still had to attend army depots sometimes as some kind of part-time training.

Continued and finished at Uni and didn't have to do the 2 year service. 

Thanks Nan for your informative post and I totally agree with you re: letting my boy get some experience under his belt and get out from under his 'well meaning' Mom's skirt.  As most 1st born Thai sons are usually spoiled in the typical Thai family.

This boy is a 23 year virgin and we lead a sheltered/isolated life for better and worse.  When I compare my life experiences at 23 years old in the wild and crazy 60's and his limited experiences, it is sad in a lot of ways. Experience is the best teacher for us all.  and I remember making some of my closest friendships while in basic training while sharing the misery with others my same age.

The covid situation is changing daily and anything can happen in the next 2 or 3 months. 

Thanks for the update.

Aloha