The Smartest Way To Get Lean In 2021 - Youtube video

jackdd

This video just popped up in my Youtube feed and I think it provides great information in regards to losing weight, thus I recommend you to watch it.

Obviously the channel's audience are mostly people who are into bodybuilding, but the information given in this video applies to everybody, so don't be put off by it.

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Just the standard calories in/calories out, starve & sweat solution that won't work for anyone predisposed to weight gain and obesity. People who are lean find it easy or at least relatively easy to control their weight. So they assume everyone can also do it with the same ease.

The standard calories in/calories out is just the absolute basic for every weight change, if there would be a video about losing/gaining weight where this isn't included it would be a bad video. I didn't feel like the people in the video assume that it's easy for everybody, I think they are quite objective.

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Implicit endorsement of snacking. Those prone to weight gain and obesity shouldn't snack. Causes fat storage in the very insulin resistant and they're usually unable to stop snacking until, say, the whole bag of chips is eaten.

I think this is a quite realistic view. Which percentage of people can just stop snacking for the rest of their life? Probably hardly anybody, most people will give in to the temptation at different points in their life, so it's important to limit these.

Here in Thailand we are actually quite lucky that we can buy something like a 10 THB bag of Lays, I wouldn't go to 7/11 a second time, so my snack attack would be limited to this. In Germany these small packs are not so readily available and I would eat a big bag in one go.

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Fails to realize that vegetables are a carb source, so implicit endorsement of useless starches.

Probably because most people (including the people in the video) don't consider carbs as "bad".

Thinking "all carbs = bad" is a quite narrow point of view often found in people who do Keto.

35 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The last expert at least correctly noted that diet supplement gimmicks don't work but didn't suggest what does.

Afaik there are none that help significantly and could simply be bought over the counter in the majority of the world. Do you know any?

43 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The next-to-last guy made a salient point that what feels easy to you may not feel easy to somebody else. Good. (But he stopped there.)

He actually gave various options on how to achieve it, including low carb (of which Keto is a sub-type), but it's an 18 minute and not a two hour video, so understandably he didn't dive into specific details.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

The standard calories in/calories out is just the absolute basic for every weight change

It might be, if the usual weight loss experts understood what calories out really means. They don't, so they then just repeat variations of old misleading remedies that don't work. I see the USA is on track to reach 60% obesity by 2025.

I think this is a quite realistic view. Which percentage of people can just stop snacking for the rest of their life?

Some, however, will need to; and they can if they're not hungry. Others shouldn't be encouraged (!) in a video purporting to offer weight loss solutions. But they are encouraged, because these obtuse authors don't have any problems with their own snacking so don't understand why others should.

That becomes even clearer when the cute nutrition psych comes on with solutions like put calorie-rich foods at the back of the pantry where they’re harder to access. Yeah, that's really gonna work. It gets better: there's the Choice Architecture Intervention.???? Oh god. This: Put your bowl of M&Ms (no suggestion you not buy M&Ms in the first place) in an opaque container, put a lid on it, or move it farther away. My intake will go down without my consciously realizing it’s happening. LOL. Doesn’t have a clue, not a CLUE, about how the overweight, insulin resistant, metabolic syndrome sufferers think and feel.

Oh, they very much will realize their intake of M&Ms has gone down. And how can they possibly realize that even though their M&Ms are in an opaque container? I leave you to figure that one out.

Childlike, really. Can't believe people get paid for coming out with these fantasies.

Probably because most people (including the people in the video) don't consider carbs as "bad".

Thinking "all carbs = bad" is a quite narrow point of view often found in people who do Keto.

No, simply because they're ignorant about what the body may do with carbs according to the source and thus amounts of those carbs.

Nobody thinks or says "all carbs = bad," ignorance or silly exaggeration on your part. 

Afaik there are none that help significantly and could simply be bought over the counter in the majority of the world. Do you know any?

Nor does he, evidently. You've missed the point. The next logical step then would be to give his solutions independent of supplements, which he didn't.

He actually gave various options on how to achieve it, including low carb (of which Keto is a sub-type)

Rather the reverse: low carb is a variation of keto. Now first he ran through some theory, without any letting us know exactly how to apply it. For example (I love this), there's "low recency:"

Do I value feeling good right now (by eating these donuts I'm seeing and craving) more than I'm wanting to get to my goal? 

Laughable. The modern percentages of the overweight and obese provide the obvious answer: YES! Oh--but "low recency" people are people more wanting to get to their goal. And those wanting to get to their goal are--wait for it--the low recency people. They're among the few for whom calories in/calories out, starve & sweat is easier and works. Actually, what happens is that their insulin levels don't rise much if at all and create hunger when they see and smell the donuts. But those levels do in the supposed non-recency goal achievers. So, for the latter, the donuts are much more difficult to resist.

Basically, it just comes down, as it always does, to this: if it's too difficult for you, unlike lean people, unlike bodybuilders, because your metabolism has made it much more difficult and you can't live being hungry all the time, then you're lazy and gluttonous. 

He throws out "low carb" in passing but then quickly moves to recommend "finding the method that feels least restrictive." That is, the usual “best diet for YOU!” Again, predictable but meaningless platitude. Problem is, obviously, the average overweight person can’t find that best diet out of the thousands. Why? Because of what they’re being taught in this video. 

It's just the same ol' stuff. Another Taubes quotation for you:

Health journalists and nutritional authorities will now insist that the best diet—the one that they say “works”—is the diet that we can sustain, to which we can stick for life. But what does that mean? Sustaining a diet that doesn’t help us reach and maintain a healthy weight is of little benefit and clearly isn’t one that’s working. And to sustain a way of eating for life, almost by definition, we have to be able to eat to satiety. That implies we’re not walking away from our meals hungry. It implies we’re not counting our calories; we’re just eating, as lean people do. Anything that requires a lifetime of hunger (in a world in which food is abundant) is a promise of failure.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you want to know the truth about diets? Ask a fat person - they have tried every diet imaginable.. and then get ridiculed for being fat...

that said, I am doing well on keto but you need the support system of an excellent keto store/bakery/restaurant... which for me, so far, is making all the difference in the world.. 

• Like 1

There is truth in the saying that; 85% of weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Whenever I get hungry outside of my 3 main meals, I drink water.

I eat more protein rich foods to keep me fuller longer, and balance the rest with carbs and healthy fats, 3 meals a day, no snacks, and no carbs after lunch, if I do have a snack, that will be my lunchtime meal.

Exercise, walking, running, and light weights also helps me keep toned.

To easy to become obese, i.e. if I allow my thoughts and tongue to dictate to me what they want, and there is no way I am going to put that shirt back on.

Image result for i'm too sexy gif

Edited by 4MyEgo