Plug-in Hybrids the way to go

mortenaa

On 2/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, mortenaa said:

Personally I only charge during the daytime. I only charge when I need. So a bit of planning is needed if you're going on trips. I don't want to leave the battery charged 100%. Try to keep it on a state between 40% - 70%. That's adequate for most of my local trips, which are usually maximum 20km. A fully charged battery will degrade quicker. If I'm going on longer trips, I use the preconditioning function, so It's a 100% and interior is chilled, ready for departure. 

From empty to full it takes about 6 hours with a 220v 10 AMP charger, which comes with the car. So with a 2 phase 5KW solar system, I should be able to charge virtually for free. Besides I live in a house, and use A/C, pool pump etc as well. So I don't need to install a costly system with batteries etc. 

Plenty of recent reports of new technologies which massively reduce the recharging time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is the battery pack still located in the spare tyre compartment of the trunk in ur BMW?

Then you have the more expensive run-flat-tyres, that can't be replaced at any corner shop.

It's in the trunk and under the back seats. Definitely less trunk space, but doesn't bother me at all. 

I always change from run flats to normal tires after a year or so. Smoother ride 

Edited by mortenaa
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 3:44 AM, scorecard said:

Plenty of recent reports of new technologies which massively reduce the recharging time.

It doesn't support faster charging than 16 amp. I've been charging for free at different malls, and takes about 3-4 hours for a full charge. 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, JAS21 said:

I believe that BMW quote for your car up to 60kms electric range. If you get anywhere near that you have done well ...guess driving relatively slowly and with the air con off. You battery is 12kWh. We have a PHEV with a 6.2kWh battery. One morning, driving slowly and with the air con off I managed 30kms. The normal we get is 18-20 in quite traffic.

In the recent cold spell, 20decC or so would have helped in getting the best charge into the battery, I think...

Android Auto didn't used to be available in Thailand (easily) and it wasn't very stable. I use Apple Car Play and much prefer Google maps to the installed system.

Air con is always on. My favorite function is to keep it running while doing short errands, or precondition when I know I am gonna head out. I get around 20kwh/100km highway speed and less than that in city speed, so no problem getting 50km+ on a charge. 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, JAS21 said:

Android Auto didn't used to be available in Thailand (easily) and it wasn't very stable. I use Apple Car Play and much prefer Google maps to the installed system.

I use Android Auto every day. It works flawlessly. Even has the navigation, arrows and such on the head-up display.

10 hours ago, mortenaa said:

My car has been driven around 2500 km now. Around 1000 purely electric. And when I use the gas engine, I drive it like a sports car to enjoy the extra power. So it's not to save money, rather the whole package. I enjoy both the extra power and the comfort with pure electric around town. 

We used to divide our time between Thailand and the US, Now that I retire , we started  spending more time in Greece (i have family there) and plan to do summers in Greece and winters in Thailand (Florida  too far from Thailand) And we need to buy a car in Greece . One of the cars we are thinking about is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV  which gets 22 mi in EV mode , sufficient for most daily driving and an overall 74 mpg. This car makes perfect economic sense for Greece because gas in Greece is $5 a gallon,   Also a 2,0L engine would have a  €640 ( $777 usd) yearly registration tax, but the tax is waved for Hybrids.

Also I can buy a 2019 4x4 Outlander PHEV in the US with 10k mi for $21,000 usd  and it would  cost me  about $2000 to transport it there (I am allowed to bring one car one time import duty free).  And it seats seven. (three row seating) 

So on that respect it makes good economic sense. The only concern I have, is  that the warrantee does not cover the vehicle in Greece

But as  as you said,  economics is not the only concern, Hey you only live one. It is a nice car, lots of power , comfort,  safety, and all the bells and whistles. If the wife would let me, I might get one of them myself. Every time I mention the price, the wife has a heart attack???? she wants to get a Suzuki XL7  because it has 3 row seating  and costs half the price.  

Edited by sirineou
typo

1) I would wait until the next generation solid state batteries are commercially available to buy an EV.

2)  If hydrogen powered vehicles become common just imagine all the explosions occurring on the roads in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PGSan said:

I would have thought they sold it in litres, like here!   Also probably for euros, not dollars.

You are right They do.

I did a conversion to US gallons  because as an American I cant get my head wrapped around litters. LOL,

The same thing with Meters and Feet, If you were to tell me a room was 12x16 ft, I would immediately have a mental picture, but if you were to tell me that a room was 3mX 5m I would get a blank look in my face even though I know a meter is about 3 ft 

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are right They do.

I did a conversion to US gallons  because as an American I cant get my head wrapped around litters. LOL,

The same thing with Meters and Feet, If you were to tell me a room was 12x16 ft, I would immediately have a mental picture, but if you were to tell me that a room was 3mX 5m I would get a blank look in my face even though I know a meter is about 3 ft 

Well you better try getting your head around it since you will share your time between LOS & Greece.

As a side note, I also hope I can afford to share my time between two places like you do when I eventually retire. Seen a lot of expat getting feed up with it all if staying here full time.

9 hours ago, rwill said:

2)  If hydrogen powered vehicles become common just imagine all the explosions occurring on the roads in Thailand.

A. The average Somchai can not afford a hydrogen fuelled car, and the Thai people who can afford, take better care of their cars then the average TVF member.

B. I think explosions will be in the same range as LPG cars, which are owned by the average Somchai

2 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Well you better try getting your head around it since you will share your time between LOS & Greece.

As a side note, I also hope I can afford to share my time between two places like you do when I eventually retire. Seen a lot of expat getting feed up with it all if staying here full time.

With proper planning and some luck you could. .

The way I talk one might think I am wealthy. I am not.  I survive on a average Pension ,  Social security. some rental income and a 401 K I build up over the years that  I have not even touched yet. 

IMO the secret is being smart with your money.

You work  hard to make your money, but marketing and advertising is trying to separate  you from it. RESIST , most of it is BS.

Resist debt. DESTROY ALL YOUR CREDIT CARDS, it's a trap!!!  you don't need them . All you need is a debit card. if you don't have the money don't buy it.

Don't be a debt slave 

And develop a good set of friends and social network. Your social network is gold in the bank. If it was not for it, I am not sure I would even be alive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

You are right They do.

I got used to both for lengths and most weights, etc., but I have some difficulty with American gas /petrol and beer!    

What I will never get my head around is measuring people in pounds, and inches so I just divide by 2 to get an approximate value and I know my 12 X table too.

I think this generation of Tesla type cars will go the way of Betamax. Batteries are basically bonkers. I think that real clean transport has to be something linked to fission and also public transport. Individuals driving round in cars, pressing pedals, braking and accellerating, twisting wheels whilst sitting perched awkwardly all seems faintly ridiculous when you think about it.

4 hours ago, PGSan said:

I got used to both for lengths and most weights, etc., but I have some difficulty with American gas /petrol and beer!  

Yea!! when I am  vacationing in Europe I have trouble counting my beers too .????

Ohh wait , so we don't stray too far Off Topic . PHEVs are the best.   

Sorry mods????

Edited by sirineou
beer induced typos

I got my 330e last August.  So far have just driven to work and around BKK, so my daily usage is about 50km.  I had the wall charger BMW provided installed at my condo and use that every night.  I usually leave it plugged in overnight, was not aware of the less than 100% charge issue, but I'll check with the dealer.  I have just over 7,000 km on the car and tanked up for just the third time yesterday.  Electricity cost per month around 1,000-1,200 Baht per month.  I finally got Carplay set up this weekend and it works fine.  There had been an issue with the emergency call not working, but that was due to a software update which was just finished and I understand it affected many cars.  The acceleration and performance are excellent, I've had the 320i previously and this 330e is about the best car I've ever driven.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is the battery pack still located in the spare tyre compartment of the trunk in ur BMW?

Then you have the more expensive run-flat-tyres, that can't be replaced at any corner shop.

You can reply with any tires you want. I always go for normal tires, and keep a emergency repair kit in my car.
Batteries are underneath rear seats and trunk. Makes the trunk a bit smaller, but enough for me. Besides can fold the rear seats.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:38 AM, eia310e said:

I got my 330e last August.  So far have just driven to work and around BKK, so my daily usage is about 50km.  I had the wall charger BMW provided installed at my condo and use that every night.  I usually leave it plugged in overnight, was not aware of the less than 100% charge issue, but I'll check with the dealer.  I have just over 7,000 km on the car and tanked up for just the third time yesterday.  Electricity cost per month around 1,000-1,200 Baht per month.  I finally got Carplay set up this weekend and it works fine.  There had been an issue with the emergency call not working, but that was due to a software update which was just finished and I understand it affected many cars.  The acceleration and performance are excellent, I've had the 320i previously and this 330e is about the best car I've ever driven.

Use precondition and setup charge schedule, so your battery is full just before departure. That way battery degradation is minimal. 

I'm really interested in a plug-in hybrid but I wish that there was more choice in Thailand.

The BMW and MB cars are to expensive for my taste and after this I only know of the MG plug-in which i don't really trust quality wise. 

59 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am currently trying to purchase an MG HS PHEV. I want to charge it from my 11kw solar system but MG wants me to upgrade my grid connection to 30A

I don't want to cross post so you can read that discussion here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1216779-peamea-time-of-use-rate-tou/

I put a deposit down on an MG ZS EV when it came out 2 years ago, but had the same fight with MG over having to upgrade 30A, so I gave up.

The MG HS PHEV has the same 1.5L Petrol Turbo engine as the standard MG HS but combines it with a 90kW electric motor. When used together they produce 258bhp which means a 0-60mph/100kph of 6.9 seconds. It feels very quick to drive.

It takes 3 hours to charge the 16.7 kWh battery using the free 7kw wall charger which gives up to 67km of EV only range.   This might not sound much, but most of my driving would be less than that per trip. 

The MG HS PHEV is a luxury car with Bose 8.1 sound system. 5 years free subscription to the onboard internet sim card and True Music. You can do "find my car" like you would with your phone.   

Thanks for the information.

I read a of reviews of the car and in general they are impressed for what you get for the price and also the build quality.

The only big question would be what the rest value would be when you want to sell after x years.

• Like 1