British Airways Is Streamlining Travel With Health Passports

VBF

Looks like at least one airline is moving apace. Clearly, there will need to be international  acceptance for this to be totally useful - at present it only covers UK - USA flights, 

but it seems to be a step in the right direction. 

The article also links to The IATA Travel Pass illustrating a nice healthy bit of competition - always good for we customers!

Edited by VBF
  • Confused 1

I can only see this as being good thing, especially if they include vaccination details.

I hope ‘one app’ is universally accepted rather than a whole cacophony of apps and confusing requirements for international travel. 

Anyone who can afford international travel can afford a cell phone (a basic cell phone can be purchased for $100) - thus an App on a phone makes perfect sense. 

Qatar’s Etiraz app is excellent (Covid-19 monitoring app) which also alerts you if you are nearby someone who has come into contact with someone who has tested positive (contact tracing).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Information varies and there is no concrete information or evidence regarding spread of the virus while vaccinated. 

Just watched a Dr John Campbell vid where he shows a Lancet preprint of Astra Zeneca indicating a 67% reduction in transmission with testing showing virus present after one dose which also gives 76% efficacy against disease and it is actually better to wait 3 months before getting the second jab which gives 82% efficacy rather than getting the second jab at 6 weeks which only gives 54%.So it's looking remarkably promising on the vaccine front which is why I suggest not making vaccines a prerequisite for stuff like travel and why I disagree that it's not selfish but rather more practicable.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just watched a Dr John Campbell vid where he shows a Lancet preprint of Astra Zeneca indicating a 67% reduction in transmission with testing showing virus present after one dose which also gives 76% efficacy against disease and it is actually better to wait 3 months before getting the second jab which gives 82% efficacy rather than getting the second jab at 6 weeks which only gives 54%.So it's looking remarkably promising on the vaccine front which is why I suggest not making vaccines a prerequisite for stuff like travel and why I disagree that it's not selfish but rather more practicable.

Aren't you rather contradicting yourself there?

You say......"So it's looking remarkably promising on the vaccine front which is why I suggest not making vaccines a prerequisite for stuff like travel and why I disagree that it's not selfish but rather more practicable"

So if vaccines are looking promising, why not make them a prerequisite for travel? Confused......????

• Confused 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, VBF said:

Looks like at least one airline is moving apace. Clearly, there will need to be international  acceptance for this to be totally useful - at present it only covers UK - USA flights, 

but it seems to be a step in the right direction. 

The article also links to The IATA Travel Pass illustrating a nice healthy bit of competition - always good for we customers!

Neither of the articles to which your post gives links nor any link in those articles is to an IATA Travel Pass app or any similar app to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Vapourware, for the time being?

So what happens to people in the vulnerable group but cannot have the vaccine ?

Can never fly anywhere again ?

I was assured last Sept the Pneumonia vaccine was fine for me so had Part 1 = almost died and in Hospital 4 days......... in 2000 had the Flue vaccine, = very bad they called it Bells Palsy  [side of face dropped for over 2 years slurred speech] and even now 20 years later still have side effect slurred speech sometimes from this Vaccine.

Cannot take Penicillin + Vaccine for Tetanus + TB + Measles + Chickenpox + many more over the years

Spent many days/weeks in Hospital as a kid and later after different Vaccine shots

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes, Dr Campbell gives nice updates, but one can't help noticing (also regularly mentioned in the comments section on Youtube) that he is a) rather a fan of AZ, b) follows the NHS and c) seems rather opposed to anything that is not Western. The results of the Sputnik trials have apparently been totally ignored, though they are important and -potentially- better than those of AZ. But of course, people will claim that the Sputnik data were just made up. Also it is not a good idea to just follow one 'guru' but rather look at various sources and try to come up with an informed opinion.  

Regarding the data from AZ, the cut-off date was Dec 7th (as noted in the abstract of the Lancet article), meaning that the bulk of the data was obtained before the various variants spread (also true for the Sputnik data that had an even earlier cut-off).  It is not clear if this has effected results; only the Novavax report (cut off mid January) delves briefly into this and clearly showed reduced efficacy for the main variant strains from UK and S. Africa, though the number of cases is quite low. Novavax is a recombinant protein vaccine, however, not clear if this can be compared directly to viral vector vaccines a la AZ or Sputnik.

Finally, I do not understand you last sentence but then I am not a native English speaker. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ignis said:

I was assured last Sept the Pneumonia vaccine was fine for me so had Part 1 = almost died and in Hospital 4 days......... in 2000 had the Flue vaccine, = very bad they called it Bells Palsy  [side of face dropped for over 2 years slurred speech] and even now 20 years later still have side effect slurred speech sometimes from this Vaccine.

Cannot take Penicillin + Vaccine for Tetanus + TB + Measles + Chickenpox + many more over the years

Spent many days/weeks in Hospital as a kid and later after different Vaccine shots

Being unable to get a vaccine due to medical reasons (as opposed to antivaxxers that claim religious or their' freedom rights') is not that uncommon. There have been trials of antibody treatments for people without functioning immune systems that also might work in your case. These consist of a cocktail of two antibodies that 'hopefully' give protection against COVID for at least 6 months  https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55022288. Unfortunately, recent results suggest that the South African variant can evade such antibody treatments. Nevertheless it might be worth following up on this.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, cormanr7 said:

Yes, Dr Campbell gives nice updates, but one can't help noticing (also regularly mentioned in the comments section on Youtube) that he is a) rather a fan of AZ, b) follows the NHS and c) seems rather opposed to anything that is not Western. The results of the Sputnik trials have apparently been totally ignored, though they are important and -potentially- better than those of AZ. But of course, people will claim that the Sputnik data were just made up. Also it is not a good idea to just follow one 'guru' but rather look at various sources and try to come up with an informed opinion.  

Regarding the data from AZ, the cut-off date was Dec 7th (as noted in the abstract of the Lancet article), meaning that the bulk of the data was obtained before the various variants spread (also true for the Sputnik data that had an even earlier cut-off).  It is not clear if this has effected results; only the Novavax report (cut off mid January) delves briefly into this and clearly showed reduced efficacy for the main variant strains from UK and S. Africa, though the number of cases is quite low. Novavax is a recombinant protein vaccine, however, not clear if this can be compared directly to viral vector vaccines a la AZ or Sputnik.

Finally, I do not understand you last sentence but then I am not a native English speaker. 

I agree he is rather a fan of the AZ vaccines but he states his reasons as being ease of transportation,storage and price all of which seem valid arguments.I don't always agree with everything he says but as you say he does give some nice updates.I think the Sputnik vaccine suffers largely from "cold war syndrome" and probably doesn't get the same consideration and attention as those of the west and the same would apply to the Chinese vaccines for various reasons some maybe valid some maybe not valid but probably mostly due to trust.

Finally my last sentence was addressing richard_smith237's view that my reasons for not requiring vaccines prior to travelling were selfish which I denied and say that my reason for rejecting the proposal that vaccines should be required before being able to travel.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ignis said:

Similar boat.  I have to fly back to the UK for business and it's looking pretty certain that being vaccinated will be a prerequisite. However when ever I am given medication I suffer complications and sometimes very serious side effects. I had a massive reaction to Tetanus once and also had terrible side effects to a concoction of medication prescribed to counter a possible heart condition. On both occasions the medics involved just shook their heads and I was non the wiser.  On that basis I now try to avoid medication and hope diet and a healthy life style help me maintain social distancing from hospitals......I find 2-3  kilometers a good distance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Puccini said:

Neither of the articles to which your post gives links nor any link in those articles is to an IATA Travel Pass app or any similar app to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Vapourware, for the time being?

Try READING the OP specifically "but it seems to be a step in the right direction. "

There are myriad ways in which this might evolve and probably several ideas will be mooted and dropped over time, but you have to start somewhere. The airlines, with a vested interest are obviously in the forefront of possibilities.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Puccini said:

No, the IATA Travel Pass is currently being tested by Singapore Airlines with others due to join in soon.

https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/travelers/iata-travel-pass-for-travelers/

5 hours ago, DaLa said:

Similar boat.  I have to fly back to the UK for business and it's looking pretty certain that being vaccinated will be a prerequisite. However when ever I am given medication I suffer complications and sometimes very serious side effects. I had a massive reaction to Tetanus once and also had terrible side effects to a concoction of medication prescribed to counter a possible heart condition. On both occasions the medics involved just shook their heads and I was non the wiser.  On that basis I now try to avoid medication and hope diet and a healthy life style help me maintain social distancing from hospitals......I find 2-3  kilometers a good distance.

I would agree, I think that requiring vaccination prior to travel will open up a can of worms, and strikes me as being a cop out for the airlines.

I am not an antivaxer, used to be in the RAF and had everything going. I had a fairly bad reaction from the yellow fever vaccine and when it came up for renewal I refused. They told me I couldn't refuse but mainly practical aspects like promotion. I had to sign the refusal in red ink, a left over from when you signed in blood. I wouldn't refuse the covid vaccine but anyone that does shouldn't have it held against them.

Having to get a doctors note confirming some validity would be one of the worms in the can.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

I would agree, I think that requiring vaccination prior to travel will open up a can of worms, and strikes me as being a cop out for the airlines.

I am not an antivaxer, used to be in the RAF and had everything going. I had a fairly bad reaction from the yellow fever vaccine and when it came up for renewal I refused. They told me I couldn't refuse but mainly practical aspects like promotion. I had to sign the refusal in red ink, a left over from when you signed in blood. I wouldn't refuse the covid vaccine but anyone that does shouldn't have it held against them.

Having to get a doctors note confirming some validity would be one of the worms in the can.

May I respectfully correct you.....

"I wouldn't refuse the covid vaccine but anyone that does for a valid medical reason shouldn't have it held against them."

You, @ignis and @DaLa seem to have such reasons - you have my sympathy, but hopefully you few will benefit from the rest of we "herd" being vaccinated which hopefully will lessen the chances of transmission.

The <my chosen term would be deleted> who refuse it because of some conspiracy can just.......stay wherever you are for ever.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VBF said:

May I respectfully correct you.....

"I wouldn't refuse the covid vaccine but anyone that does for a valid medical reason shouldn't have it held against them."

You, @ignis and @DaLa seem to have such reasons - you have my sympathy, but hopefully you few will benefit from the rest of we "herd" being vaccinated which hopefully will lessen the chances of transmission.

The <my chosen term would be deleted> who refuse it because of some conspiracy can just.......stay wherever you are for ever.  

I wouldn't dispute the sentiment but where does "a valid medical reason" start and end, and how would the ability to travel be granted to such cases. Introducing discrimination can only ever lead to problems.

Maybe a lesson could be learned from the old days of antisocial segregation when you could choose if you sat next to a smoker or not, not that that was particularly successful.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this vaccination passport gathers momentum, due to my frequent travels to some godforsaken $h_tholes I already carry a vaccination passport containing my vaccination history covering some country entry requirements such as yellow fever etc,,, so it’s not really something new, but I’d certainly welcome it, especially if it meant possibly a reduction or elimination in quarantine time 

• Like 1

Sort of a update:

at Hospital for my Blood work yesterday

!00% cannot have part 2 of the Pneumonia vaccine...

He the Profesor Dr said 100 %  cannot take the Covid 19 vaccine,  after my visit had to go and have some other blood taken, no idea why,  Yesterday was also the day for my Shingles Vaccine,  Dr also said no not to have, we will see later.

So no idea how will travel with this  vaccination passport requirement  ??

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

So no idea how will travel with this  vaccination passport requirement  ??

There will be all sorts of exemptions should this ever come into being.  I expect you would get a medical one if it's on doctor's advice.

• Like 1