Water in Bangkok currently not safe

pixelaoffy

So the advice is not to drink tap water at the moment in Bangkok because of high salt levels .Now I know most surely don't drink direct from tap but what about the water machines that are connected to mains and water apparently filtered?  https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/02/03/bangkok-unhealthy-salty-tap-water-to-persist-through-feb/

Edited by pixelaoffy

RO filtration removes salt - other types do not.  Believe most curbside units are RO these days; as is most bottled water.  The problem is if you are not sure of how well maintained.  

As for drinking from the tap that is normally very safe in Bangkok as water treatment meets international standards and is checked in many location in real time 24 hours a day.  But at present source (river) is getting sea water due to the low rain water flow making it too salty and normal processing is not designed for that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

A water machine is typically just a valve you put money in.

We are talking public RO filtration machines which are common in Bangkok.  They do filter water but can be contaminated if poorly maintained or customers are not carful is using.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

We are talking public RO filtration machines which are common in Bangkok.  They do filter water but can be contaminated if poorly maintained or customers are not carful is using.

Sorry, I was talking about the water machines people put money in to get water out of.

Are you talking about the public drinking fountains?

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, I was talking about the water machines people put money in to get water out of.

Are you talking about the public drinking fountains?

Machines like these.  People use to buy filtered water rather than drink directly from tap.

Image result for bangkok ro filtration machines

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Machines like these.  People use to buy filtered water rather than drink directly from tap.

Image result for bangkok ro filtration machines

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, a coin operated valve. They have them in the US as well. 

We get Singha in 19 liter bottles delivered and carried upstairs for Baht 65 each, and use about three bottles a week. 

How much do they charge for water from the machines? 

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about, a coin operated valve. They have them in the US as well. 

We get Singha in 19 liter bottles delivered and carried upstairs for Baht 65 each, and use about three bottles a week. 

How much do they charge for water from the machines? 

I don't use as have our own RO filter system but a lot less than bottled water.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I don't use as have our own RO filter system but a lot less than bottled water.

Well I would drink the water from your RO filter system, I would not drink water from one of those machines. I would drink water from the tap in my own home first. 

I've been thinking about getting a filter system, but have never gotten around to it. The three of us use just under three bottles a week for drinking and cooking, so (3 bottles/week) X (Baht 65/bottle) X (52 weeks/year) =  Baht 10.140/year, so it should be pretty easy to justify 

How often do you have to service it? How often do you have to change the components and how much do they cost? 

18 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

So the advice is not to drink tap water at the moment in Bangkok

"Water in Bangkok currently not safe". ?

Huh?

This is what the article that you linked to actually said...

"A notice released by the Department of Public Health said the brackish-tasting water is generally safe to drink..."

Edited by Matreusse
  • Like 1

Have open frame system as sold on Lazada and Shopee for about 3,000 baht.  Filters should be replaced yearly and the actual RO filter every 18 months.  About 800 to replace all filters.  You might want to replace first filter more often as gets dirty looking but is very cheap.  No real service required - it pumps a storage tank so you have a few liters of water as pressure before slow replacement process - smallest 50gal per day has been more than adequate for our extended family drinking/cooking needs (8 people).  Good to buy a T D S meter (software deleted <deleted> last time I wrote it).  At 50 baht it will confirm proper operation.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fast-pure-5-ro-75gpd-1-pp-1-i401248293-s779592256.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.bestshown_1.7.49136a57ucHLcW&search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bangkok-<deleted>-meter-<deleted>-3-i1722736810-s4918300593.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.43.4cf21f97K6KQnE&search=1

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Good to buy a T D S meter (software deleted <deleted> last time I wrote it).  At 50 baht it will confirm proper operation.  

FYI, T D S meter does not measure salt content in water.  You can google it for more detailed information.

Edited by HidyHo

24 minutes ago, HidyHo said:

FYI, T D S meter does not measure salt content in water.  You can google it for more detailed information.

Not directly but salt is part of the total dissolved solids that it does indicate.  RO filters do remove salt so the T D S is a very good indication of how well that filter is working.

Edited by lopburi3