Homeroom Teacher ?

Hi,

I understand what a homeroom teacher is in Canada .... and a quick Google search seems to agree with my definition.

What exactly is a homeroom teacher in Thailand?  A teacher who is assigned to one class of students and teaches a variety of subjects?

Thanks,

Generally, it's the same in Thailand with a few exceptions.  Some classes may be taught by another person.  For example, PE, Music, Thai language , etc., may have a different teacher.  

It also varies a little with the grade.  KG and early elementary may have nearly everything taught by a homeroom teacher, whereas the upper grades may have more specialized subject teachers.  

It's not quite a 'one size fits all' model.  

• 3 weeks later...

I hate this term. In my experience, it’s used as an excuse to dump extra responsibilities onto you. Look in the job postings, many are often asking for “homeroom teachers”. Once you take it, then they got you.

”Still in the office? You know, homeroom teachers have to give a morning presentation. How many periods do you have? You know, because you’re a homeroom teacher, you should have X periods. Leaving already? Homeroom teachers have this after school activity. You didn’t know what was going on with student X? He’s in your homeroom you know, why aren’t you taking care of him?” Haha. And so on.