Documentation Required

Somchair

Hi all,

For some SEA countries, I have read that a notarised and legalised copy of your degree certificate, degree transcript and TEFL certificate are required to get a job.

I was wondering if this 'notarised & legalised' requirement is also true for Thailand, or whether simply presenting the original documents is enough?

With regards to the police check, I have been living and working outside of my home country for a few years now, so am I expected to still secure a criminal background check from my home country or from the country I'm currently working in?

Alternatively, is it sufficient to get a local criminal background check done inside of Thailand or will some employers insist of having one from your previous/home country?

- Authentication of degrees and transcripts is generally required. The embassies of most countries will usually do this for you by either having you swear an oath that the documents are authentic, or checking back with the issuing institution.  A notable exception is the British Embassy. You should bring original documents with you.  Photocopies and computer downloads are not accepted.  The authorities want to seethe embossed seal of the institution.

Re: police check - get one from the country where you are now.  A Thai police check, by itself,  will not be accepted unless you have been in Thailand at least 6 mo.

11 hours ago, allane said:

A notable exception is the British Embassy.

Lucky me, my documents are British! Just found the information I need on the British government's website.

Thanks for the tip on the police check. I'll look into how I can get this done. What if the police report isn't in English? How do I then get it translated in the right way?

Is there a need for the police check to be certified/legalised also?

One further question... Do you know if the Thai authorities will accept the degree diploma, degree transcript and TEFL certificate bound together as one document?

To get them notarised and legalised individually is really expensive and will cost 2.5 times the price of doing them as a bound set.

12 hours ago, Somchair said:

Lucky me, my documents are British! Just found the information I need on the British government's website.

Thanks for the tip on the police check. I'll look into how I can get this done. What if the police report isn't in English? How do I then get it translated in the right way?

Is there a need for the police check to be certified/legalised also?

I am presuming a police check that is not in Thai or English is going to need to be translated.  I see nothing wrong with binding your documents together.  No need to include the TEFL Certificate; it is not legally required.

• 2 weeks later...