Renewing My Australian Passport

My PP will expire first week in April. I've already been on the website and filled in the pdf form. Everything is very straight forward, no name changes or anything. 

I plan on lodging the application next month. So has anyone done a pp renewal recently? What are the steps and stages, and how long to the new pp is ready?

BTW: no need to transfer my Thailand visa as I'm in Thailand on another pp, I only use the Aust' one to enter/depart Aust'.

4 hours ago, TSF said:

My PP will expire first week in April. I've already been on the website and filled in the pdf form. Everything is very straight forward, no name changes or anything. 

I plan on lodging the application next month. So has anyone done a pp renewal recently? What are the steps and stages, and how long to the new pp is ready?

BTW: no need to transfer my Thailand visa as I'm in Thailand on another pp, I only use the Aust' one to enter/depart Aust'.

Pretty straightforward from memory. I know a visit to the Aussie embassy is required, and then a new PP gets posted out, takes about a week.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Pretty straightforward from memory. I know a visit to the Aussie embassy is required, and then a new PP gets posted out, takes about a week.

I had another look at their site, it gave the fees in THB and said pay with credit/debit card. Does anyone know if they take cash THB? I don't have a CC and need a new PP, don't want to get fkn snookered on this.

34 minutes ago, TSF said:

I had another look at their site, it gave the fees in THB and said pay with credit/debit card. Does anyone know if they take cash THB? I don't have a CC and need a new PP, don't want to get fkn snookered on this.

I paid in THB cash, but you can always give them a ring just to be sure.

They generally won't handle cash, but might do so if you make arrangements beforehand.

Your passport photos will probably be rejected. They seem very fussy about this. But a motorbike guy (outside the Embassy gate or a 300 m walk to the main road) will take you to the 'recommended' photo place who will take care of you. You'll be back to the Embassy within 30 minutes.

They will give you an envelope to write your postal address. Assuming you have had items delivered before with the address in English you will get the new passport within 10 business days.

56 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I paid in THB cash, but you can always give them a ring just to be sure.

OK thanks, I'll be going about mid next month so I'll phone  beforehand and check about paying cash. Otherwise my TGF has a debit card with SCB and I've used it several times to buy stuff online, so I'll ask if I can pay with a debit card in another's name.

10 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

They generally won't handle cash, but might do so if you make arrangements beforehand.

Your passport photos will probably be rejected. They seem very fussy about this. But a motorbike guy (outside the Embassy gate or a 300 m walk to the main road) will take you to the 'recommended' photo place who will take care of you. You'll be back to the Embassy within 30 minutes.

They will give you an envelope to write your postal address. Assuming you have had items delivered before with the address in English you will get the new passport within 10 business days.

Yes, had a few things posted to our address in Korat and no problems...this is good that they will post back because I was under the impression I had to go collect it in person, which would mean another trip to BKK and another night in a hotel...and another risk to catch covid by being in a hot spot.

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Any of you guys recommend a medium price range hotel near the Oz Emm, something in walking distance and with carpark. Around the 1000-2000 bt a night.

There is nothing within walking distance of the new fortress. If you want them to post it to you they will cut a piece off your old one so you can not use it, saying that, it will only take about a week to get the new one. The nearest parking is at the end of the road near the French embassy.

6 minutes ago, Mister T said:

There is nothing within walking distance of the new fortress. If you want them to post it to you they will cut a piece off your old one so you can not use it, saying that, it will only take about a week to get the new one. The nearest parking is at the end of the road near the French embassy.

Thanks for the info. Won't matter if they cut bit off the old PP, I haven't a hope in hell of using it (to return to Aust) until around end this year, and that's a maybe...maybe.

11 hours ago, Mister T said:

Malaysian Hotel is 1 kilometer from the Embassy. rates around 900-1000 baht a night

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/contact.html

14 hours ago, TSF said:

OK thanks, I'll be going about mid next month so I'll phone  beforehand and check about paying cash. Otherwise my TGF has a debit card with SCB and I've used it several times to buy stuff online, so I'll ask if I can pay with a debit card in another's name.

From the embassy.

I doubt you will be able to use someone else's debit card.

Fees are payable in Thai Baht by CREDIT or DEBIT CARD and are linked to the AUD/THB exchange rate and re-aligned monthly.

Just flick them an email and ask about paying in cash.

[email protected]  

4 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

Malaysian Hotel is 1 kilometer from the Embassy. rates around 900-1000 baht a night

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/contact.html

Thanks I know that hotel well. First stayed there in the late 70s when it was the backpacker center of the universe. Then a few years ago I stayed there and it was the gay center of the universe...lol. An OK hotel, we'll probably stay there.

18 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

is there an extra charge/fee for this envelope and the postage? The website gives the total cost as 9,720 (TOTAL including the overseas adult applicant surcharge) so just wondering if postage& envelope is included or additional?

19 hours ago, TSF said:

No, they don’t take cash anymore but surely you have some sort of bank card ?

18 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

How does that work if they reject my pics, because I see you book a timeslot, 10-15 minutes, so if you have to leave and get more photos and come back, which takes 30 minutes, your appointment timeslot is over and someone else will be doing their business?

Just phoned Oz Emm BKK now and was connected through to an info center in Aust, very helpful lady checked the details for me and said 1) cannot pay in cash. 2) can use another person's card...it doesn't have to be in my name. 

Just be sure you get the right photos,they must be bio-metric photos and definitely not computer modified photos.

My last passport renewal in Oz i got my photos from the photo shop on soi baukhao,lodged my application at aus post in melbourne for the express service,PP office called me,photos have been computer modified,unacceptable,they must be bio-metric only.

53 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Just be sure you get the right photos,they must be bio-metric photos and definitely not computer modified photos.

My last passport renewal in Oz i got my photos from the photo shop on soi baukhao,lodged my application at aus post in melbourne for the express service,PP office called me,photos have been computer modified,unacceptable,they must be bio-metric only.

I have some taken recently by a photo shop, the photographer looked up the requirements for Aust PPs and followed their guidelines. I've checked the online specs/sizes myself and everything seems correct. 

9 hours ago, TSF said:

I have an Australia ATM card only. I don't have a CC.

You don't need a credit card, a debit card works just as well..... can you use it in an ATM here ? If you can, then you could use it at the embassy.

Of course, your Oz bank would probably charge extortionate foreign exchange fees so it might be best to use your GF's local account and card !

I just had mine done in malaysia so imagine they follow the same procedure.

did the forms and pics. Made booking to see them, arrived an hour early but no one else there so served me immediately.

Pics were done properly but oz is very picky, so the lady asked me to email the pics to her just in case they needed to do anything. So would suggest you have soft copies to email to them.

She then gave me a form and asked i bring it with me to collect pp. pp was ready for collection in a week. I paid by debit card.

was good service and painless.

2 hours ago, Chill27 said:

Good info. What happens to an unexpired Thai Retirement Visa in the old passport.

Does it get transferred to the new passport, or do you have to apply for a new Thai Visa?

Go to your local immi and they will transfer the permission to stay, they will likely charge 500 baht and take up two pages of the new one. Just carry both until you do an exit/entry.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, TSF said:

is there an extra charge/fee for this envelope and the postage? The website gives the total cost as 9,720 (TOTAL including the overseas adult applicant surcharge) so just wondering if postage& envelope is included or additional?

The recommended photo shop.Can be found next to the Malaysian Embassy.in an arcade 20 meters down  on the left.They speak English,Highly recommended!!

https://www.embassypages.com/malaysia-embassy-bangkok-thailand

• 4 weeks later...

I renewed my pp yesterday. I went to Bangkok the day before and to the recommended photo shop to do my photos. I stayed the night in the Embassy Hotel beside the recommended photo shop. 700 baht/night, nothing special but it's okay. It's 18 minutes walk from the embassy. I had an appointment for 10 am but I arrived at 8 am. Security asked me why I was there. I showed my passport and explained I was early. They invited me to wait inside. At 8:30, opening time, I was called to the counter. I paid the fee of 10,160 baht with my Thai bank ATM card. The lady printed a receipt that said my pp would be delivered to me within 3 weeks. She told me it was usually sooner and I would get an email saying it was coming. The staff at the Oz embassy are friendly and really efficient.

Archived