Thai road carnage: A motorcyclist is killed every 30 minutes in Thailand

webfact

Most riders / drivers seem to think it will never happen to them (accident)...and then when it does - the other person(s) is / are to blame.  What makes it worse here is the whole licence & insurance debacle - don't have one or the other and don't seem to care.  I have even met foreign drivers who did not have insurance.  All comes down to plod really. 

• Like 2

If the police did their job ....... look at what happens around the schools... How many kids from grade 6 or earlier drive a motorcycle??? where are the helmets and how many can you put on a motorcycle?? Just the police has to check and fine them heavily and also the parents.. Start at the roots of the problem and make people aware of the dangers...Today a girl drove a motocycle on the Phetkasem Road speeding at least 120km hr and no helmet using all the space available behind, next to between and in front of the cars and trucks... Totally nuts.. but who cares???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I once pointed out to a Thai that his rear light was out. His reply, "No problem, I don't use it".

I was at a Castrol Bike Point today and a guy was getting some bulbs replaced and lights all checked. 

So not all can be tarred with the same brush?

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The US is one of the few countries I know of which has Drivers Education - it should be core for 16year olds and up to learn to drive in Schools.

Teaches them to drive but does it make them better drivers?

Some countries teach young children the correct way to ride bicycles on roads. 

Of the 17,000 how many were caused by the victims and how many were caused by others and the victims being just that. Victims. Maybe the increase in car drivers not being adequately traind is also a f

Sadly on open forums we have people who came to a foreign country because it was different and then spend the rest of their time here complaining that it is different. I suspect many came because it was cheaper but still complain.

Maybe someone who follows this sort of stuff can come up with the locations of the 17,000 so we can get an idea or where?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could also blame the national religion with its promise of reincarnation. I see many young Thai motorcyclists who seem to have a positive death wish, maybe they think that their lot will improve on the next turn of the wheel?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Teaches them to drive but does it make them better drivers?

Some countries teach young children the correct way to ride bicycles on roads. 

You would have that stopped because ’some’ don’t heed the information ???? 

I recall the ‘cycling proficiency’ in the UK - I reckon it helped with awareness. 

Of the 17,000 how many were caused by the victims and how many were caused by others and the victims being just that. Victims. Maybe the increase in car drivers not being adequately traind is also a f

Absolutely: I would propose editing all road users, not just motorcyclists. 

Sadly on open forums we have people who came to a foreign country because it was different and then spend the rest of their time here complaining that it is different. I suspect many came because it was cheaper but still complain.

What an odd response. Thai’s have exactly the same criticisms of Thailand that we do. 

You have criticised foreigners for wanting something ‘different’ but think they should not be critical of avoidable high road fatality statistics ???  Do you really think because someone is in a foreign country they have no right to an opinion? 

That thinking is oddly moronic. 

Maybe someone who follows this sort of stuff can come up with the locations of the 17,000 so we can get an idea or where?

A heat-map would be interesting - nevertheless, the issue requires a national response, not isolated action, isolated crackdown on helmets etc..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

You could also blame the national religion with its promise of reincarnation. I see many young Thai motorcyclists who seem to have a positive death wish, maybe they think that their lot will improve on the next turn of the wheel?

The religion is commonly cited as one of the causes of the high road fatalities as Thai’s believe fatalistically that their lives are pre-ordained and they will happily move onto the next astral plane. 

Of course, no one wants to die and just like everyone else Thai’s are fearful of death. Go to any Thai funeral where someone has lost a loved one and you will see how upset people get. There is comfort in the belief that a loved one will live on reincarnated, however, there is still overwhelming grief.

Why is it that ‘some’ Thai's spend so much on amulets that the believe will protect them from death if they welcome death so much ?

Amulets may of course come into the carefree attitudes of indestructibility, but the reality is more simple. Many Thai’s are simply uneducated when it comes to driving / riding a motorcycle. For the most part the high road fatality statistics are a simple facet of nothing more than the total absence of thought. 

Its not that many people on Thailands roads don’t know the risks, but when riding or driving their mind is simply blank, nothing is going on, no thought of consequences or what if - many appear to be on a vacant auto-pilot.

This is where education plays an important role - educate people to ride and drive safely so that when they slip into the vacant mental slumber they have safer habits. 

• Like 2

Breathalyser/Locks on the key, but they would just get around that as well

Sometimes you can't help stupid.

The new smaller bikes (just like the cheaper end of pickups) now have a lot more ability to drive faster but the brakes (normally unserviced) have not kept pace with this,

Even the engineers of the largest selling pickups in Thailand know that they have not kept up 

as more costly. New pickups still selling with drums on the back, but are capable of speeds exceeding 180 kph Crazy

The standard of driving especially by the pick-ups/UTEs is pretty horrendous, some bikers are just as bad especially Chinese riders, I got taken out whilst riding a scooter by an Italian on a blind bend on the wrong side of the road. Nevertheless unacceptable figures.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the politicians in Thailand still offer only lip service to the issue

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A motorcyclist is killed every 30 minutes in Thailand

Won't alter .. there would have to be a fundamental change right across the spectrum of motoring and motorcycling and in attitudes to responsibility to put a dent in the score .. and when you can buy your way out after killing someone ( redbull scrote ) the lip service is just that ..

so carry on with the hand wringing to the wails of

" something must be done " ..

though we'll be having this conversation again in a 12 mth's time .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Actually Ryan, its just lack of critical thinking. Thai folks ( in general) from what I have seen in all my years here are not very capable of multi tasking. Hence they seldom look around, drive the wrong way, speed on a scooter designed to go 25km near 90km in flip flops and no helmet. It is what it is.  

So agree.  My wife doesn't drive much , even her folks prefer me to drive. Once she was driving and she said ' I have an idea ' I said you are driving , you can't have an idea and drive '.  She laughed.

I have been riding big bikes in Thailand for almost 20 years now and thank God for the inventers of ABS brakes. Because no matter how good you ride there is always somebody trying to kill you. They could go to the best driving schools and be very nice people but when they get behind the wheel  a big change takes over them. Not all, but many drive like there is no tomorrow and everyone is just in their way. As this is not our country we just have to have heart and maybe in time they will change?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

If the police did their job ....... look at what happens around the schools... How many kids from grade 6 or earlier drive a motorcycle??? where are the helmets and how many can you put on a motorcycle?? Just the police has to check and fine them heavily and also the parents.. Start at the roots of the problem and make people aware of the dangers...Today a girl drove a motocycle on the Phetkasem Road speeding at least 120km hr and no helmet using all the space available behind, next to between and in front of the cars and trucks... Totally nuts.. but who cares???

Ah , but how many police have children that go to school on a scooter but don't wear hats ?

Soo sad, Thai people don't care about other people on the road, especially the young people who die, because their irresponsible parents never taught them how to care for other drivers!! This is what happens when you have no faith in some God.  Everyday I take my life and my kid life in the hands of all these Thai drivers.  Be safe and drive carefully everyone. 

• Confused 4

personally i will not drive in this country.  would rather walk (healthy) or use Grab.  on Bali i have Honda Click but the cops are vigilant compared to Thai cops.  they will ticket you for running a red light or for ever being one inch into the white line at a intersection.  enforcement makes a big difference.  also everyone does wear a helmet.  you do not mess with a Bali cop.

• Like 1

Just now, tonysilly said:

Soo sad, Thai people don't care about other people on the road, especially the young people who die, because their irresponsible parents never taught them how to care for other drivers!! This is what happens when you have no faith in some God.  Everyday I take my life and my kid life in the hands of all these Thai drivers.  Be safe and drive carefully everyone. 

religion kills

• Like 2

saw policeman on motorbike today, no helmet.  I smiled, of course!!!!  

here are the 1000 things we can do to solve all the problems....

ok, thanks for reading.

i feel better.....did i help things?  no?   ok....   

ZERO people will leave Thailand because of this.......  dwell on that for a moment

• Like 1