VIDEO: Green space in Bangkok! Huge new forest park to open in Thai capital

webfact

4 hours ago, fangless said:

Don't be so silly, the tree will keep the city afloat!

Im guessing neither of you actually took the time to watch the videos or understand the intent, for one thing it should help control the water as a natural way to control run off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dddave said:

It has long been feared that the vast Tobacco Monopoly property would be developed into a mega "City within a city" project, dominated by luxury housing, condos and shopping malls.  Several of the super-rich development families such as the Chareon Pokphand group were really pushing for it.  The fact that a public space won out is an unexpected surprise.

My GF works for the Tobacco Monopoly in Chiang Mai and says the first area is being developed as park (under construction now) but there's a second half which is likely being given to Chang Beer and could become a tourist attraction.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

Have been living within 5 mins walk of Benjakitti Park since before construction started in the early 2000s. The adjacent extension on Tobacco Monopoly land which opened a few years ago is interconnected to BP and the Forest Park will also be interconnected. No entry fee now (same as the nearby parks - Benjasiri and Lumpini) and I don't expect there to be one in the future.

The existing parks are very well maintained and a credit to Bangkok. I expect the same for the Forest Park. What happens along the way we cannot control so why mention it? You have been here long enough to know that something may or will happen.

I too have lived just across the road from Benjakitti park, I used to cycle round the 2.2km track regularly (a little bit hazardous that with people blindly wondering on to the cycle lane !).

I think you missed the sarcasm and cynicism of my post. 

Regarding your question... What happens along the way we cannot control so why mention it? - You are aware this is a forum designed specifically for discussion, right? 

Of course, I don’t believe there will be a dual charge - the ‘dig’ at Thai Dual charging was purely a that, just a dig - hence my comment about having too much coffee this morning !!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, n00dle said:

What a ridiculous response to very good news.

I agree, but he isn’t really that wrong about it, though. Bangkok is already 1.5 meters below sea level and it keeps sinking every year by a few centimeters and in combination with rising sea levels it’s inevitable that Bangkok will be flooded unless they build a dam around it which would have to be about 350 kilometers long. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, dddave said:

It has long been feared that the vast Tobacco Monopoly property would be developed into a mega "City within a city" project, dominated by luxury housing, condos and shopping malls.  Several of the super-rich development families such as the Chareon Pokphand group were really pushing for it.  The fact that a public space won out is an unexpected surprise.

Yes.

I ride through that area almost everyday. By now most of the old buildings are gone. I was wondering if I see next the concrete trucks for the foundation of the new shopping malls and luxury condos - that's what I expected.

Great that they make a park out of it.

As for the timing: That is a huge area and if they want to finish that next year they better hurry.

10 hours ago, n00dle said:

Im guessing neither of you actually took the time to watch the videos or understand the intent, for one thing it should help control the water as a natural way to control run off.

So according to you one little park is going to stop Bangkok from getting flooded.

PS;  My comment regarding the trees was meant in jest! get a life!

Edited by fangless

Great news. I’ve been watching guys on YouTube bicycle around it. Apparently the construction areas are all open and anyone can just go in to see.

Conveniently located right behind Soi Nana. Ah. Upon arriving in BKK for the first time, what does one do with their barfines? Straight back to the hotel? Oh, that’s hardly the way to experience Thailand, nor the Thai girlfriend experience. Terminal 21? Go out to eat or coffee? Those hardly are either. Now, a romantic walk around a beautiful new park, and perhaps a picnic, with one’s 7-11 provisions. Now that’s the ticket.

• Like 1