VIDEO: Green space in Bangkok! Huge new forest park to open in Thai capital

webfact

This is great news! I live right next to the park and cycle there every day. 

Over the last year, they have really ramped up the development activity, but it wasn't clear what the outcome would be. To know that the whole thing is going to be a big park is fantastic.

They've already done a great job on the smaller area that is currently open as a cycling route (adjacent to the lake area). Possibly the most overstaffed park on the planet, with gardeners and security guards everywhere, but very green and pleasant. 

If they take the same approach with the rest of the development, this will be a real oasis in the center of BKK - great job!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

VIDEO: Green space in Bangkok! Huge new forest park to open in Thai capital

145732410_2491874467776136_2574441000880834845_o (1).jpg

Image: ASEAN Skyline

A forest is coming to downtown Bangkok, the amazing city that is the jewel in the crown of Thailand.

The huge city - one of the most visited in the whole world prior to the pandemic and one of the best - has often been criticized for its lack of green spaces especially when compared to cities of a similar size abroad. 

That is now set to change, at least in part, with the opening of the Suan Pa Benjakitti park.

This will be known as the Benjakitti Forest Park in English.

It is being constructed on 259 rai of land in Klong Toei district off Rama IV road on land that was formerly owned by the Thai Tobacco Monopoly. 

Stages two and three of the project costing 652 million baht will transform the open land into a wonderful area for city residents and visitors in the heart of the capital.

It is set to be complete next year and will include such features as a 1.5 kilometer elevated walkway, canals, ponds, areas for sports and a bicycle track that will connect to Lumpini Park, another major open space in the downtown area nearby.

The park promises to be a green lung for the city and further enhance Bangkok's reputation as a major tourist capital of the world. 

And one that despite its problems of traffic and overcrowding is becoming ever more friendly to its residents and visitors and every more liveable. 

145021477_2491874527776130_1077916380785548207_o.jpg

145016779_2491874487776134_1145241490778522_o.jpg

143422034_2491874777776105_2399228231892170356_o.jpg

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-04

I'm guessing dogs won't be allowed, as per usual = aargh!!!!! How many gates/entry ports? Small park along side Lakeview park has ONE gate opened, a dozen other's are always locked! Let the dogs in, woof, woof!

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Automatic negative comments are sooo boring! If western countries are so much more capable why aren't you there? IT would be the smart thing to do.

....because Thais and their official always like toshow-off and boasters.

That is boring!!!!!

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Great news. I’ve been watching guys on YouTube bicycle around it. Apparently the construction areas are all open and anyone can just go in to see.

Conveniently located right behind Soi Nana. Ah. Upon arriving in BKK for the first time, what does one do with their barfines? Straight back to the hotel? Oh, that’s hardly the way to experience Thailand, nor the Thai girlfriend experience. Terminal 21? Go out to eat or coffee? Those hardly are either. Now, a romantic walk around a beautiful new park, and perhaps a picnic, with one’s 7-11 provisions. Now that’s the ticket.

A romantic walk in the park with a girl from Nana. Maybe you even get a discount if you use those 2h only to walk in the park. Amazing Thailand.

Thai-girls.jpg.7568927003ce4a8832e24dcd53110092.jpg

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Are they ignoring the fact bangkok is soon to be underwater?

Well whilst waiting for the water to rise, Bangkokians will have a pleasant open space to enjoy their leisure time. And I'm pretty sure they'll have many years in which to do so. (that's a polite way of saying 'what a dumb comment')

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

Bangkok has been "soon to be underwater" for at least 45 years. I think the reports go back even further, because I remember that's one of the late stories in my Thai Reader (auth. Mary Haas, wonderful textbook). I know the story appeared at least twice in the English language press (think it was the Bangkok World) while I was stationed at Sattahip 1971-3.

2 hours ago, LALes said:

took a few walks from Sukhomvit to Rama IV Road recently through the old Tobacco Monopoly.  They completely razed all the old buildings

and I was fearing the advent of more super luxury condos on the way.  This is welcome news, indeed.

its amazing news and a great and brave move from all Thai officials involved to turn that piece of land into a beautiful green park. 

The Thais are right on track to go green and more environmental....

• Like 1

I used to like to cycle around the bike track on the original park section there. My wife likes to run around the running track there for exercise.

Apart from the fact that a good part of the original park has been closed off there for the past year due to ongoing reconstruction, neither of us have been out to use the already developed NEW park area for weeks now... the AIR quality daily is too bad for outside exercise.

That said, I'm always for adding and expanding public park space in BKK.  Just wish we and others could better enjoy it.

This is a very good idea. It pays to check every decade or so to read something pleasing.  The area is full of old trees and if they chose the right planners and not "friends of the friend", it ought to turn out to be a very pleasant place to spend time. I truly hope they get this right.

• Like 1

With the completion of this park, It would be great if the government would start looking for spaces in Bangkok's many neighborhoods that have little to no greenspace and start developing some parks in those areas.

For instance, I live in Phra Khanong and there is not a single public park in the area.  There still exist several large, undeveloped properties along Sukhumvit 71 that are in private hands.  The government could take the initiative and try to make agreements that would lead to these open spaces being preserved and made accessible to the public.  

21 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

You have missed the cunning plan. By the time the Great Flood ascends the trees will be mature enough to be converted into dug-out canoes assigned to the rescue of VIPs whilst those at the very top utilize THE submarines. 

Since so many years with no hygien and no law in this city. It became so ugly. Now pollution is so high. Open more bts stations and put a new lung in the city are good projects. Aren't they?

but we read so many bad comments ?

Why? It's not your country, not your city.

Enjoy with thai people.

If the water comes:it is good for the roots, isn't it?...not yet 1.5m. We will be dead before 555.

Just now, unblocktheplanet said:

There's already an outstanding elevated walkway from Lumpini through to Benjakitti. It passes through some cool neighbourhoods & over the expressway.

Affectionately referred to as "The Green Mile".

Past plans had a more robust park system connecting Benjakatti with Lumpini.

There have been a lot of plans since the Tobacco Co. moved out.

Great start, now just dump the subs and the moon shot and rapidly supply the crop provinces with enough crop clearing machinery, that they can be loaned free to farmers, so that they dont have to burn off.

The big cities like Chiang Mai and Bangkok will boom and the flow through tax profits will pay for this machinery very quickly