Is my Mac Irretrievably Dead? Time to Pull the plug?

2012 MacBook Pro

I already bought a new Mac for myself and was planning to give this old one to daughter of Cambodian worker. The keyboard needs repair (several keys don't work at al) and I was going to take it into Bkk to have that fixed

Then suddenly seems to have had hard drive failure.  Get only grey screen with a question mark.

Started it in recovery Mode but when tried to use Disk Utility, it does not sense the disk so can't do anything there.

Then tried the Reinstall OS option, I get connected to Apple OK but then run into same problem:  when I get to "select the disk where you want to install", no disk shows.

So I am thinking the hard drive is completely shot. if so, will would likely cost more than it is worth to fix (remembering that I also need to have the keyboard fixed)?

Is it time to just get rid of it? (And if so - anybody know of a place to donate old/broken laptops?)

• Jai Dee changed the title to Is my Mac Irretrievably Dead? Time to Pull the plug?
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're coming to Bangkok, take your machine to Dr MacBook on soi 33 Suk. It's in the t-junction with soi 31, turn left and it's immediately on your left in the New Land condo, 3rd floor. I have had

changing the hard drive on those old macs is really easy.    open the bottom and remove the HD. plug in new one. don't forget to format the new disk before running backup restore.   

it is no where near end of life. i still use my old 2010 macbook pro. go to the forth floor of Fortune Town in BKK and ask about new keyboard and hard drive(cheap) or Solid State Drive (more baht).  

Yes you can fix it by replacing the HD and install OS, and yes it is a lot cheaper than buying a new one. 
But it's a 2012 model , depends on how fast applications they want to run on it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

it is no where near end of life. i still use my old 2010 macbook pro. go to the forth floor of Fortune Town in BKK and ask about new keyboard and hard drive(cheap) or Solid State Drive (more baht).  

Really? https://www.advice.co.th/product/hard-disk-for-notebook

HDD are more expensive, you just get higher capacity for your money. Definitely should not go with an HDD.

SSD from a mere 500 baht. Biggest cost is a new backlit keyboard.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes you can fix it by replacing the HD and install OS, and yes it is a lot cheaper than buying a new one. 
But it's a 2012 model , depends on how fast applications they want to run on it. 

The alternative is not buying a new one. I already have a new one and was just going to give this one away. So don't want to spend much money on it.

She's mainly going to use it to go online. I could buy her a tablet pretty cheaply so if repair would cost more than that, definitely not worth it.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The alternative is not buying a new one. I already have a new one and was just going to give this one away. So don't want to spend much money on it.

She's mainly going to use it to go online. I could buy her a tablet pretty cheaply so if repair would cost more than that, definitely not worth it.

New SSD you can fit for yourself. So that is from as little as 500 baht. Keyboard you can find online. Price dependent on model. Keyboard fitting likely too fiddly for you. So it's a matter of finding out how much someone would charge to fit the keyboard that you purchased. 

Maybe a hobbyist can do the work for free, if it is going to charity. If you plan to scrap it, remove the HDD to secure your private data and allow someone to refurbish it. Still a viable device if just issues with keyboard and HDD.

Costs of parts themselves as little as 1100 baht. It's the inflated labour costs that might be an issue.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'll try one of the places mentioned and see what they want to charge.

Already removed all my data and files from it before it crashed.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks. I'll try one of the places mentioned and see what they want to charge.

Already removed all my data and files from it before it crashed.

Let us know, if you plan to scrap it, I don't mind tinkering with it and then giving it to someone who needs it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

2012 MacBook Pro

I already bought a new Mac for myself and was planning to give this old one to daughter of Cambodian worker. The keyboard needs repair (several keys don't work at al) and I was going to take it into Bkk to have that fixed

Then suddenly seems to have had hard drive failure.  Get only grey screen with a question mark.

Started it in recovery Mode but when tried to use Disk Utility, it does not sense the disk so can't do anything there.

Then tried the Reinstall OS option, I get connected to Apple OK but then run into same problem:  when I get to "select the disk where you want to install", no disk shows.

So I am thinking the hard drive is completely shot. if so, will would likely cost more than it is worth to fix (remembering that I also need to have the keyboard fixed)?

Is it time to just get rid of it? (And if so - anybody know of a place to donate old/broken laptops?)

For the keyboard there’s a very simple cheap workaround that is an external USB keyboard, 200 Baht and up. A Replacement internal keyboard is going to be expensive but it could possibly be repaired.

For the internal drive having disappeared, it could be a loose connection if you are lucky, though probably not. A replacement disk is a reasonably cheap easy fix. But if you swap it out for a moderate sized SSD it will be a fantastic jump in boot speed and performance. A 256 GB SSD is under 1,500 a 126 probably between 500 and 800.

The replacement disk drive is easy enough that I would do it in about 30 minutes and that is taking it slowly. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Did  you try resetting the PRAM? I was told to do this by Apple when I had the grey screen.

Yes, tried. Did not work.