Is my Mac Irretrievably Dead? Time to Pull the plug?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're coming to Bangkok, take your machine to Dr MacBook on soi 33 Suk. It's in the t-junction with soi 31, turn left and it's immediately on your left in the New Land condo, 3rd floor. I have had

changing the hard drive on those old macs is really easy.    open the bottom and remove the HD. plug in new one. don't forget to format the new disk before running backup restore.   

it is no where near end of life. i still use my old 2010 macbook pro. go to the forth floor of Fortune Town in BKK and ask about new keyboard and hard drive(cheap) or Solid State Drive (more baht).  

Update: went to Fortune Town to someone recommended by a TV member (Pro Corner on 3rd floor)

It wasn't the hard drive, it was the cable, which actually costs more to replace.  2,500 including labor

And 3,000 to replace the keyborad

Working OK now

Thanks all!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Update: went to Fortune Town to someone recommended by a TV member (Pro Corner on 3rd floor)

It wasn't the hard drive, it was the cable, which actually costs more to replace.  2,500 including labor

And 3,000 to replace the keyborad

Working OK now

Thanks all!

You should have replaced the HDD with an SSD at the same time. From a mere 500 baht added to the cost and it would have been much faster.

Look: 

39 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You should have replaced the HDD with an SSD at the same time. From a mere 500 baht added to the cost and it would have been much faster.

Look: 

An SSD and a bit more RAM certainly sped my 2012 iMac up.

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Look: 

He quoted me 2,000 for an SSD. Even fior a used hard drive, was more than 500

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He quoted me 2,000 for an SSD. Even fior a used hard drive, was more than 500

That's why I advised you to purchase your own. They could have fitted it for you regardless of whether the cable was the issue. He probably tried to flog you a 480 GB or 500 GB SSD. But who needs that? I'm sure the young girl doesn't.  128 GB would be more than fine. You could even have splashed out 900 baht for a 256 GB.

13 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

That's why I advised you to purchase your own. They could have fitted it for you regardless of whether the cable was the issue. He probably tried to flog you a 480 GB or 500 GB SSD. But who needs that? I'm sure the young girl doesn't.  128 GB would be more than fine. You could even have splashed out 900 baht for a 256 GB.

The young girl is fine with the speed as it is.

• 2 weeks later...