DPM confirms Thais will start receiving vaccinations in June at a rate of 5 million doses a month

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He voiced an assurance that 26 million doses resulting from a technology transfer between AstraZeneca and Siam Bioessence would be available in June, adding Thailand is slated to become a production hub in ASEAN.

Who are "Siam Bioessence"?

Assuming they mean "Siam Bioscience", here is the text on the front page of https://www.siambioscience.com

History

We have the resolute commitments to improve patients access to high quality and affordable medicines, to facilitate healthcare security, and to care for the health of Thai people and beyonds. Siam Bioscience group has been established since 2009, consisted of 2 major companies–Siam Bioscience Co.,Ltd. and Apexcela Co.,Ltd.

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

They ought to try and bring more than one vaccine producing centres on line. 5 million a month not enough, 26 million just enough for about 20% of population and have to consider possibly that vaccinations are going to be an ongoing thing for years to come, same as for flu. Countries can only open up to the rest of world once their own population is protected. At this projected rate it will be a few years before Thailand can do this.

This concerns me because Australia is soon starting mass vaccinations (free for EVERYONE in the country BTW....regardless of nationality & visa status) and it may well be that towards the end of this year travel restrictions will loosen up considerably for vaccinated people. And I really need to get back to Australia soon, but come the end of this year I'll more than likely still not be vaccinated, just sitting around here waiting for the Thais to get it together so I can get on the move again. Without that vaccination may not get a seat on a plane.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well according to previous TV articles the Thai government says having the vaccine does not negate having 2 weeks in quarantine. Of interest perhaps is that the Australian government has also stated that having been vaccinated does not mean you avoid 2 weeks quarantine. So there are at least 2 countries stating that being vaccinated will not open their tourist industries, no doubt there are many others. So even if you get your jab don't be looking at visiting at least Thailand or Australia in the near future, probably not till next year.

• Like 1

Does someone have a calculator that works?  Because mine keeps saying it will take over 2 years to administer 130 million doses at 5 million a month.

And that can't be right...  Tourism and the economy will be back to (almost) normal in 2021.

Edit:  I guess they could get there if they focused on vaccinating just the HiSo's on the correct end of the political spectrum, and tossed the rest of the population (and political opponents) to the wolves...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1