Greatly fluctuating water pressure in Lad Prao area?

JTXR

For a couple of weeks now , water pressure has fluctuated from very high to almost nothing every few minutes.  I noticed it soon after we replaced our water pump, so I wanted to blame the new pump or the guy who installed it, but when he came back to check, he said this problem is widespread now in the Lad Prao area and a few other areas in town due to water system works.  Is this this case, or is he just making it up?

36 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

If the pump is too powerful for the job, then the water can't escape the tap or shower head quick enough causing the pressure to build and the pump to automatically cut out.

If the pump is too big you will get a pulsing effect with the pump constantly turning itself on and off. 

I think you've nailed it.  Both pumps are Mitsubishi "constant pressure" pumps, but the old one was 150 watts and the new one is 374 watts.  And yes, I see now it is turning itself on and off.  Thanks for the input.

Hope you have a filter and a tank. A lot of rubbish comes through the government water supply and sometimes it is just air! Still convinced the meter turns when they are supplying air! Luckily our moobahn has a pumped well which we can turn over to when the government pipes start gurgling. Yes we had to change a number of taps and shower heads after we replaced our pump with a more powerful one. Homepro just want to sell you their biggest one!

19 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Hope you have a filter and a tank. A lot of rubbish comes through the government water supply and sometimes it is just air! Still convinced the meter turns when they are supplying air! Luckily our moobahn has a pumped well which we can turn over to when the government pipes start gurgling. Yes we had to change a number of taps and shower heads after we replaced our pump with a more powerful one. Homepro just want to sell you their biggest one!

Not in my 45 years of experience in Lat Phrao - it was a very positive experience when our village stopped using well water.  Government water has been both reliable and safe (until current salinity issues due water being held upcountry due to the current drought and almost no water flow from China).

On 2/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, Dmaxdan said:

You say you have installed a new pump.

Is it the same size (wattage) as your previous one? 

Because bigger is not always better when it comes to water pumps.

If the pump is too powerful for the job, then the water can't escape the tap or shower head quick enough causing the pressure to build and the pump to automatically cut out.

If the pump is too big you will get a pulsing effect with the pump constantly turning itself on and off. 

That is a mystery solve cos I have had 3 pumps, serving the well , replaced in the last 8 years and the contacts box replaced 6 or seven times as they were switching on and off constantly and then burning out . Neighbours pump also pulses .  I have noticed a drop in supply over the last 4 weeks ( live near Surin ) and am thinking it maybe to do with low water levels in the bored well because of the low rainfall last rainy season .