Hua Lamphong railway station

snoop1130

Hua Lamphong railway station

by Leonard H. Le Blanc III

YES.png

Few public buildings have carried such a richly nostalgic, fascinating and diverse history as Bangkok’s main railway station, Hua Lamphong (Thai: สถานีรถไฟหัวลำโพง, also spelled Hualamphong). It is commonly referred to by the Thais as “Sathani Rotfai Krung Thep”. Now after more than a century of service, this rail terminal will finally close operations and become a large railway museum in 2020. Bangkok’s main railway hub is being moved North to the existing Bang Sue railway station. This new and greatly expanded main rail terminal is projected to start operations shortly. With the old station closing down operation an important chapter in the country’s transportation history will finally end. However, there is no question the terminus has touched the lives of millions of Thai and foreign rail travellers for over 100 years.

The terminal building was constructed right at the edge of Chinatown at the start of the 20th century, then a still uninhabited area on the edge of the city. This whole area was formerly called “Thung Woa Lamphong” or “The field of the wild ox” for some Indian cattle owners who let their herds of cattle roam around grazing on the grassy plain unsupervised. The term was later changed to the current title Hua Lamphong.  Now in the centre of Pathumwan District, it is also in close proximity to the MRT station also called Hualamphong, the closest Chao Phraya River landing is the Tha Ratchawong Pier on the other side of Chinatown, Silom Road, one kilometre away, and Rama IV Road in front of the station. There are also city busses, taxis, tuk tuks and motorcycle taxis outside next to the terminal.

What would become the State Railways of Thailand (SRT) started in 1897 as national railway service commenced. The site of the Hua Lamphong railway station was previously used as the railroad’s maintenance centre. This was moved out to Makkasan in June 1910.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/hua-lamphong-railway-station/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2021-02-05
  • Like 2

I don't mind the new one. The arch with the clock is a modern interpretation of Hua Lamphong which I thought was a nice touch. Apart from the top level platforms with the wavy high roof structure  the interior is a disaster with woeful wayfinding signage.

Hualompong Station is/was a hub of activity for the majority of the day...  it attracted the holiday makers, hippies and the homeless.

It wasn't all that long ago when hundreds of train travellers and their well-wishers would all sit on the floor in the main booking/amenities/waiting hall with the daylight streaming in through the huge arched glass windows.  Seats then gradually started to appear.

It used to be slow to get to from downtown...   until the BTS opened, making Hualompong very accessible , and the notion of train travel to a destination more attractive.

I quite often used to take the overnight "express" to Chiang Mai from Hualompong departing straight after the 6pm playing of the Thai National Anthem. When I say "express"..  I mean it stopped at 14 stations enroute to Chiang Mai, but, always a pleasant experience sitting on the lower bunk drinking a bottle of (BYO) Red Wine...  then possibly a second bottle if there was a party in the Dining Car.

All that stopped for me many years ago after a drunk railway employee interfered with a little girl on the train and they banned alcohol.

Is alcohol still banned on the longer train routes?  That is..  BYO alcohol or alcohol sold on the train?