Why is 99.9% of beer sold in Thailand bottled beer?

Leaver

On 2/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, Leaver said:

Pre covid, Thailand had millions of tourists, from all around the world, many of whom enjoy a cold beer in a tropical climate, whilst on their holiday.  Most were sold bottled beer.

The majority of expats and locals, most of the time, have no choice but to drink bottled beer.

With so much beer sales here, why isn't Thailand offering more tap beer?

Yes, there are glass and glass cleaning costs, but these would be offset by not needing to run large fridges. Many of the beer companies pay for the installation because the bar can offer their beer at a reduced price because it's on tap, not bottled.  They also supply their glasses, with their company logo.

It's better for the environment, and less labour intensive to the point of sale.  Eg. no fridges to stack.  Thus, more profitable for the bar, and the beer company.

30 years ago, I could understand why couldn't.  In 2021, it's still bottled beer here.

Will tap beer ever be the norm in Thailand?  

Tap beer requires cooling as well. Normally the kegs are stored in room-sized coolers, so you just have to switch over the hose to a new keg when one goes empty instead of carrying in a new keg into the bar. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, Leaver said:

Keg / tap beer is a lot cheaper than bottled beer, both for the beer company, and the retailer. (bar)

Let's say Tiger offer to put a tap beer system into a bar, under the contract that they will be the only tap beer in that bar for X amount of years, then that Tiger tap beer can be offered a lot cheaper than the competition's bottled beer.

However, my thread is not about the cost of beer. 

I am just wondering why, with such a huge tourism industry (pre covid) and in 2021, tap beer is not more common in bars in Thailand.   

Tap beer from the brewery is not per se cheaper than bottled beer.

Mostly supermarket prices (in the west) are way lower per volume than tap beer. And don't forget that bottled beer is pasteurized and tap beer is not (better taste) and mostly breweries will refund spoiled tap beer. 

• Like 1

I have read most of the comments and some are true and some are far fetched. But the one reason I did not saw is the financial one.

Kegs are exclusively sold by brewers and their wholesalers. What they deliver is mentioned on your receipt. The Taxman knows how many glasses come out of a keg or barrel. This is the easiest way of the Taxman to give you your Tax assesment.

When you want to create some sidemoney that is not found by the Taxman, the best way is to buy some boxes of bottles from other dealers then the official ones. By this way some can make about 1500 profit per box of 24 bottles.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

When you want to create some sidemoney that is not found by the Taxman, the best way is to buy some boxes of bottles from other dealers then the official ones.

You can do that with kegs as well. Keg trading is common. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Tap beer requires cooling as well. Normally the kegs are stored in room-sized coolers, so you just have to switch over the hose to a new keg when one goes empty instead of carrying in a new keg into the bar. 

Google "glycol system."  

3 hours ago, Alidiver said:

Once you tap the barrel, the beer has to be drunk or it will go off, possibly within a matter of days in Thailand's climate. 

Many busy bars and nightclubs catering for tourists would empty kegs in no time, yet, they are still serving bottles.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

There are also keg size coolers, complete with the CO2 dispensing system. It is not rocket science but again, many of the smaller beer bars don't want to or can't afford to take the risk of huge amounts of beer going to waste, If tourist trade drops, excessive spillage, or the beer just goes off and tastes like yesterday's boiled jock straps.  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 9:13 PM, sirineou said:

The is on one end of the equation but the vendor is at the other,can you imagine the cr#p you would be drinking  if left to the vendors to control the distribution? 

When you Open a bottle of Leo , you know you are getting a Leo with a particular consistency. Could you be assured the same  at every place in Thailand with tap? 

You get where I am heading with this?

with you on this one 

28 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

There are also keg size coolers, complete with the CO2 dispensing system. It is not rocket science but again, many of the smaller beer bars don't want to or can't afford to take the risk of huge amounts of beer going to waste, If tourist trade drops, excessive spillage, or the beer just goes off and tastes like yesterday's boiled jock straps.  

I completely understand this for small establishments, but what about the big bars and nightclubs in the tourists areas?  They continue to persist with bottled beer, like tap beer is rocket science and all too difficult.  

On 2/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Leaver said:

Yes, I do get where you are heading.  

So, incompetence and laziness, causing a lack of hygiene, would be the reason.  

Once again, it's 2021. Will Thailand ever be able to offer tap beer to its millions of tourists, post covid?  I mean, Thailand being a "World Class Tourists Destination" an all.   ????

I like bottled beer can rely on the quality!

10 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

If you cool them properly the beer last quite some time. We used to have an industrial cooler room we kept the kegs in and they would easily last an entire week without going bad.

23 hours ago, transam said:

Draught beer has a life, it can't lie around in the bottom of barrel, it can in a bottle...

The only draught worthwhile is imported and they are normally aircon bars, outside it's a waste of time, warm before you know it.

That hotel I mentioned had a bar outside that only sold draught Leo and Heineken but there was method in the madness. It was a conference centre and the target was groups of delegates staying overnight, jugs flying around the table in more ways than one.

When I travel, I prefer my beverages in the original bottle or can, just like my water.  Unopened even better.

You aren't going to change my mind if it's 10-20 baht cheaper.

Cleanliness is just one factor, unknown adulterants another.  Plus, that old toothless guy cleaning glasses in front with a bucket of gray water and an old rag just does not invoke trust.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, pacovl46 said:

They’re not that cheap and you need space under the bar for each tap as well. It’s an option if you don’t have the space for a proper cooling room. 

They are cheaper now than in the past, and I was never suggesting a small bar should have tap beer. 

Just surprising larger and popular establishments, all over Thailand, are still serving bottled beer, with no end to that in sight.  

On 2/9/2021 at 3:23 AM, Iron Tongue said:

When I travel, I prefer my beverages in the original bottle or can, just like my water.  Unopened even better.

You aren't going to change my mind if it's 10-20 baht cheaper.

Cleanliness is just one factor, unknown adulterants another.  Plus, that old toothless guy cleaning glasses in front with a bucket of gray water and an old rag just does not invoke trust.

I suppose the rats p*ssing all over the beer bottles out the back of the bar will be fine then.  ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

They are cheaper now than in the past, and I was never suggesting a small bar should have tap beer. 

Just surprising larger and popular establishments, all over Thailand, are still serving bottled beer, with no end to that in sight.  

There are several Erdinger beer halls in Bangkok who brew their own beer. I’m pretty sure you can get draft beer there.

On 2/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, pacovl46 said:

There are several Erdinger beer halls in Bangkok who brew their own beer. I’m pretty sure you can get draft beer there.

There is some draught beer around.  Just wondering why it's not more widely available, not only for the customers, but for the profits of bars and breweries.