Why is 99.9% of beer sold in Thailand bottled beer?

Leaver

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

Are you suggesting that's the Thai way?  The easiest option, not the best option.  

All I’m suggesting is that bottles are less of a hassle than large kegs, regardless of location or race! Also, what the best option really is is completely subjective. If your bar is on the second floor, for example, it’s a lot less of a hassle to carry a case of beer upstairs than a 50 liter metal keg. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, pacovl46 said:

All I’m suggesting is that bottles are less of a hassle than large kegs, regardless of location or race!

If that's the case, why is tap beer so common in western countries?  

Which method of deliver is the best, bottles, or kegs, and why isn't the "best"  universal, since location and race is irrelevant?  

How many glass bottles, caps, labels, crates, and manual labour goes into serving the equivalent amount of keg beer, in bottles?  Just tink of all that sand to make glass, metal to make caps, paper to make labels, plastic to make crates etc.  

Also, what the best option really is is completely subjective.

Sure, that's why breweries and bars, all across the world, judge the best option by what is the most profitable.  

If your bar is on the second floor, for example, it’s a lot less of a hassle to carry a case of beer upstairs than a 50 liter metal keg. 

You do know cellars are usually below ground floor, and the liquid, that could be coke or beer, it pressured / pumped up?  

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

If that's the case, why is tap beer so common in western countries?  

Which method of deliver is the best, bottles, or kegs, and why isn't the "best"  universal, since location and race is irrelevant?  

How many glass bottles, caps, labels, crates, and manual labour goes into serving the equivalent amount of keg beer, in bottles?  Just tink of all that sand to make glass, metal to make caps, paper to make labels, plastic to make crates etc.  

Sure, that's why breweries and bars, all across the world, judge the best option by what is the most profitable.  

You do know cellars are usually below ground floor, and the liquid, that could be coke or beer, it pressured / pumped up?  

I guess it all depends on how much beer you really need. If you sell huge quantities every day then kegs would make sense. If it’s not that much then bottles will be better because beer in bottles can be kept considerably longer than beer kept in kegs that have been opened. 

Also, a case of beer ways a lot less than a 50 liter aluminium keg and is therefore easier to handle. Then there’s the matter of preference. Just because tap beer is common/popular in the west doesn’t mean it has to be popular anywhere else in the world, too. Take carbonated water for example, it’s huge in the west, but extremely unpopular in Thailand. 

In regards to the serving issue, there’s no difference whether you have bottles or kegs because beer is sold in specific quantities that apply to both, 0.33 liters, 0.5 liters, 0.625 liters or 1 liters. The effort of serving is the same, but you actually save time with bottles because it’s a lot faster taking the bottle cap off than to fill a glass from keg and in the case of Pilsener you actually save 7 minutes because that’s how long it takes to fill that 0.33 liter glass the right way! 

In regards to the cellar, it’s not about getting the beer back up, it’s about getting it down. I’d rather walk 5 times down with a case of beer than down once with a 50 liter keg. 

In the end, it’s all a matter of personal preference of the bar owner and your opinion is not the golden standard by which they have to abide. They’ll have their reasons why they choose bottles over kegs. 

• Confused 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, pacovl46 said:

I guess it all depends on how much beer you really need. If you sell huge quantities every day then kegs would make sense. If it’s not that much then bottles will be better because beer in bottles can be kept considerably longer than beer kept in kegs that have been opened. 

Also, a case of beer ways a lot less than a 50 liter aluminium keg and is therefore easier to handle. Then there’s the matter of preference. Just because tap beer is common/popular in the west doesn’t mean it has to be popular anywhere else in the world, too. Take carbonated water for example, it’s huge in the west, but extremely unpopular in Thailand. 

In regards to the serving issue, there’s no difference whether you have bottles or kegs because beer is sold in specific quantities that apply to both, 0.33 liters, 0.5 liters, 0.625 liters or 1 liters. The effort of serving is the same, but you actually save time with bottles because it’s a lot faster taking the bottle cap off than to fill a glass from keg and in the case of Pilsener you actually save 7 minutes because that’s how long it takes to fill that 0.33 liter glass the right way! 

In regards to the cellar, it’s not about getting the beer back up, it’s about getting it down. I’d rather walk 5 times down with a case of beer than down once with a 50 liter keg. 

In the end, it’s all a matter of personal preference of the bar owner and your opinion is not the golden standard by which they have to abide. They’ll have their reasons why they choose bottles over kegs. 

guess you've never seen barrel ramps, or barrel lifts to get beer into cellars

never seen anybody carry any barrels or kegs down into a cellar

but got to agree, im very wary about draft beer now, way too many bad pints got wasted

But drink draft in places like Kiwi bar, who have western managers who know how serve it properly 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joinaman said:

guess you've never seen barrel ramps, or barrel lifts to get beer into cellars

never seen anybody carry any barrels or kegs down into a cellar

but got to agree, im very wary about draft beer now, way too many bad pints got wasted

But drink draft in places like Kiwi bar, who have western managers who know how serve it properly 

You’re right, I’ve never seen barrel ramps or lifts in Thailand! ????

On 2/5/2021 at 9:05 PM, sirineou said:

Tap requires equipment, delivery infrastructure and quality control that is not available in Thailand. 

Really? Almost every large pub/bar in BKK has draught beer that's why happy hours pints are 99 B or whatever. Even some not so large ones. There is even San Miguel Negra (dark) on tap.

The bar needs throughput to justify the brewery/distributor coming regularly to clean the pipes .  

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Really? Almost every large pub/bar in BKK has draught beer that's why happy hours pints are 99 B or whatever. Even some not so large ones. There is even San Miguel Negra (dark) on tap.

The bar needs throughput to justify the brewery/distributor coming regularly to clean the pipes .  

I did not make the assertion that there isn't, I simply speculated on the reasons why it isn't in many places. Remember not all of us live in Bangkok,

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I did not make the assertion that there isn't, I simply speculated on the reasons why it isn't in many places. Remember not all of us live in Bangkok,

Quite right. I don't.

Why is 99.9% of the beer sold in Canada , sold in bottles? 

Edited by VocalNeal

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Quite right. I don't.

Why is 99.9% of the beer sold in Canada , sold in bottles? 

You are not saying that there is the same amount of draft Beer sold in Canada as it is in Thailand ? are you? 

Almost all beer in Thailand is the same boring bottled Chang, Leo, Singha beer. Why?

Answer: Corporate conglomerates controlling the supply chain.

I miss hoppy craft beer. I can't even find it in Rimping.

Only certain places in Bangkok have those.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:24 PM, VocalNeal said:

Correct.  Tap beer is more efficient and cost effective.  Thailand has tap beer, I just find it strange it not more widely available in the tourist areas where "throughput" as you say is very high in many establishments.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:54 AM, RamenRaven said:

Almost all beer in Thailand is the same boring bottled Chang, Leo, Singha beer. Why?

Protectionism.  

Those in power have to protect their friends at ThaiBev.   

As Thailand's competitors in the region continue to offer variety and choice to tourists, those tourists holidaying to Thailand will be stuck with the same old mass produced local product.