Importing My Harley Davidson

selftaopath

Hello one and all. I am very new to Thaivisa and you have helped me already. I wonder if you have any knowleged/experience in importing items. The item in question is my 1974 (1000cc) Harley Davidson Sporster. I think it will be great "cruzin" the country in Isaan. We are planning on building in NongSung so any all advice a/b build/purchasing/hiring and getting my HD here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Keoki

Here is the quick reply. Under no circumstances should you attempt to import your Harley. Dont do it, dont think about it, you will have your hands full building in NongSung.

You can buy a great Harley at Power Station in Bangkok. Only about twice what they retail for in the US if you are bound to ride one in Issan.

Sell your Harley and buy another in Thailand! Importing a bike is something for real professionals with 'connections'. Dealing with Thai custom and registration officers is nothing for newbees.

There are only second hand HDs here, the custum for a new one would be exorbitant. There is a good shop in Khon Kaen with 4 or 5 HDs in store, but you can order about what you want and they will find it for you. Honda and Yamaha choppers are often better value for your money.

Check 'Bangkok Riders' (google), a club of motor bike fans in BKK.

Regards

Thedi

ccarbaugh, Check out a place called Red Baron in Bangkok, they had a newish looking Lead wing, sorry, Gold Wing in their shop but I think the price was 1.3 million baht. The bloody thing was huge and don't think I could pick the bugger up if it were to fall on its' side. :o

Here is the quick reply. Under no circumstances should you attempt to import your Harley. Dont do it, dont think about it, you will have your hands full building in NongSung.

You can buy a great Harley at Power Station in Bangkok. Only about twice what they retail for in the US if you are bound to ride one in Issan.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am finding your sharing information/experience so valuable. After reading the posts, I wondered: What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :o Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

Cheers,

Keoki

Thanks everyone for your input. I am finding your sharing information/experience so valuable. After reading the posts, I wondered: What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :o Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

Cheers,

Keoki

Hi Keoki.

I do agree with the other guys, you can buy a good Harley here in Thailand for the cheapest 400.000 to 1mill+ for secondhand, to get the best deal you should get in contact with Jesters M/C, they are based in Pataya, they have a web-site so just google them, they have all the info you will need.

However, if you are madly in love with your pressent bike, then you can take it apart and send it here as parts for argriculture (tractor or some other equipment) then the tax is next to nothing. But you will have a problem with insurrance and registration plates, unless you pay the tax. My advise, buy one here, the other way is to much hassle and head-ache.

Good luck.

Tilapia

Thanks everyone for your input. I am finding your sharing information/experience so valuable. After reading the posts, I wondered: What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :D Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

Cheers,

Keoki

Hi Keoki.

I do agree with the other guys, you can buy a good Harley here in Thailand for the cheapest 400.000 to 1mill+ for secondhand, to get the best deal you should get in contact with Jesters M/C, they are based in Pataya, they have a web-site so just google them, they have all the info you will need.

However, if you are madly in love with your pressent bike, then you can take it apart and send it here as parts for argriculture (tractor or some other equipment) then the tax is next to nothing. But you will have a problem with insurrance and registration plates, unless you pay the tax. My advise, buy one here, the other way is to much hassle and head-ache.

Good luck.

Tilapia

Thanks "gang" for the lessons. I'll forget a/b bringing my HD here :o I think it would have been grand b/c me and that ride have "history." That's a sweet little scooter. Oh well!! Makin new history eh? And I'm sure I'll have my "hands full" building in NongSung. I'm in this for the "long haul." So, there is no rush.

Back to finding an architect and building contractors who I can hopefully communicate with.

:D Keoki

Keoki,

I know very little about importing vehicles into the LOS, but MarcoH was looking into the issue this last year so you may want to PM him and see what he found as he may have discovered a loophole. I do have a friend outside of Oslo that dismantle a Sportster and a Fatboy so that he could avoid import taxes from the US to Norway and it was a long process and he lost a few parts along the way. I wish you the best of luck of this is the path you decide to go. I wonder exactly what countries Thailand will accept vehicles from with a lower tax? This would be something good to find out in case I find it hard to live without my toys later in life.

Mike in Seattle

I'm in the same situation. I'm planning on retiring next year to Isaan

and would LOVE to have my Gold Wing!! I haven't found any (new OR used)

Gold Wings in Thailand anywhere :o

There is a shop in Khon Kaen which has a Gold Wing in display, some HDs too and a beautiful Kawasaki Drifter.

Look at this map. You can zoom it in and out and blend in google satellite images (klick 'Hybrid'). The shop is on the road from the bueng going north, an the right side, about in the middle of this map:

http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&q=Nong+...009248&z=17

Regards

Thedi

PS: There is a second shop with a very good mechanic: "Sabana Motors" on the ring road near the temple in the upper border of this map. But he sells mostly 400cc Choppers. Very good quality so.

What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :o Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

Still the same problems with custom and registration. But the additional hassel if all parts will arrive.

What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :o Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

Still the same problems with custom and registration. But the additional hassel if all parts will arrive.

i managed to bring in my '69 triumph bonneville in pieces, without customs noticing. have tried to find out how to make it legal, with mixed reactions. all sources return to the pay tax thing. this will not be a problem, coz they wouldnt think it was worth anything-even stripped the paint off! but where to go from there- no paperwork was brought in, so how do i go about it. used to build my own bikes in my home country and it was no problem getting them registered as long as had not been on the computer system before.

i understand there is a 100% import tax on motor vehicles, but i see a lot of secondhand stuff coming in from japan, and i wonder how this all works.

i also had an idea. since most of us do not have residency status, could we not "temporarily" import a vehicle into thailand,? ie: as in vehicles brought in to tour the country and which are then re-exported back home? it should be possible to get your vehicle in and keep it here for as long as you have a visa- or am i pushing it a bit?i who knows, we might even start a whole new demand for "motor vehicle visa runs" are there any farang out there who can help- motor vehicle reg. here has me as confused as the new visa law thing (and the old one, for that matter)

frikkie

What if I had it disembled and shipped- part by part and put it back together in Isaan? :D Whatta ya think a/b that IDEA????

i managed to bring in my '69 triumph bonneville in pieces, without customs noticing. have tried to find out how to make it legal, with mixed reactions. all sources return to the pay tax thing. this will not be a problem, coz they wouldnt think it was worth anything-even stripped the paint off! but where to go from there- no paperwork was brought in, so how do i go about it. used to build my own bikes in my home country and it was no problem getting them registered as long as had not been on the computer system before.

i understand there is a 100% import tax on motor vehicles, but i see a lot of secondhand stuff coming in from japan, and i wonder how this all works.

i also had an idea. since most of us do not have residency status, could we not "temporarily" import a vehicle into thailand,? ie: as in vehicles brought in to tour the country and which are then re-exported back home? it should be possible to get your vehicle in and keep it here for as long as you have a visa- or am i pushing it a bit?i who knows, we might even start a whole new demand for "motor vehicle visa runs" are there any farang out there who can help- motor vehicle reg. here has me as confused as the new visa law thing (and the old one, for that matter)

frikkie

Again I want to thank everybody who has given input and experience. :D I think the idea of bringing my sled into LOS is rather futile. But I can't help but wonder if it was owned by a Thai person i.e. my TGF would that make any difference?

Oh and I too had a 69 Trumpet Bonney. Great ride.

Well, I guess I can refocus on the process of my building in NongSung - my GF has (or so it appears) down an architect in her moban. Now all I "gotta do" is somehow get him to respond in a timely fashion :o

Keoki

But I can't help but wonder if it was owned by a Thai person i.e. my TGF would that make any difference?

No difference. In fact most big bikes of us farangs are registred in the name of our Thai wife. But this is only because it is more simple. The registration in our own name would be possible. You should be in TH on a yearly visa extension, but not all registration offices are strict in this respect. Google for 'Bankok riders', a club of motor bike enthusiasts with a webpage, a forum and a lot of experiences.

Regards

Thedi

You can bring a bike into the country easily enough with a temporary importation permit. But you must exit the country every 30 days with it to stay legal. If you overstay you're bike expect a 2000 baht fine at the border exiting the country.

There are many illegal bikes running around and their riders keep a purple note handy for the policemen. Most policemen are satisfied with a quick 500 baht in their pocket.

There are quite a few fully legal imported bikes here for sale, you can buy a brand new one if you like. They carry about a 30% premium over what could buy the same bike for elsewhere where the duties are less restrictive.

Have you seen how much restored, matching number '69 Bonnies are going for? Crazy prices.

i am a real big fan of triumphs, nortons,vincents, old harleys, indians and ducatis

restored and/or chopped at least 70 of them over the the years. used to buy them up for next to nothing in south africa after the rice-burning honda fours became popular.-probably because in those days you had to be a real biker to keep a bonnie on the road!

my personal bike before i left for thailand was a '59 t120 bonnie- pre-unit special. 750 morgo-full dragracing spec that i used on the road,(threw the odd conrod, but what the hel_l-i had the spares and the time) but i realised it would be a waste in thailand, so brought the '69 instead. i dissed the twincarb head and went for the low compression pistons coz this is thailand, spares are expensive and where i live the roads are shit, so no need for speed. most of the bikes i built were exported to collectors and bike-freaks like myself in denmark and holland, and i thought i was getting real good prices, but, you are right-prices have gone crazy!. by the way,-no bonnie (or norton or harley) i ever built ever leaked a drop of oil. if you ever buy one, and have the old oil leak problem, i will tell you how to sort it if you contact me- .

by the way, anybody know of any rusty relics left over from the vietnam war- inspired american stayover in thailand?

they must exist, but to date have turned up nothing but a few sidevalve brit bilkes from ww2- hardly inspiring.

how about starting an iron-horse-type thread for those of us sick of ######s on step-through scooters masquerading as bikers?? anybody interested?

chok- dee and respect from

frikkie

Edited by frikkiedeboer

[how about starting an iron-horse-type thread for those of us sick of ######s on step-through scooters masquerading as bikers?? anybody interested?

frikkie

sorry, i meant "wank*rs on step- thru scooters", -didnt mean to offend anybody and didnt realise the word would be censored out................

Well guys truth is your probably not going to come up with anything that someonelse has not tried, in the end if you want a legal bike you will pay the import duties and a lot of tea money if you don't what your doing and then more then likely another 80K for the plate.

There are Harley's in Udon a well and at least one Goldwing for sale, you want it you can find it more then likely. But legal big bikes are not cheap. But then again yor bike seized by the Police won't be cheap eithre. Definelty a calculated risk not to do it properly.

Have you seen how much restored, matching number '69 Bonnies are going for? Crazy prices.

i am a real big fan of triumphs, nortons,vincents, old harleys, indians and ducatis

restored and/or chopped at least 70 of them over the the years. used to buy them up for next to nothing in south africa after the rice-burning honda fours became popular.-probably because in those days you had to be a real biker to keep a bonnie on the road!

my personal bike before i left for thailand was a '59 t120 bonnie- pre-unit special. 750 morgo-full dragracing spec that i used on the road,(threw the odd conrod, but what the hel_l-i had the spares and the time) but i realised it would be a waste in thailand, so brought the '69 instead. i dissed the twincarb head and went for the low compression pistons coz this is thailand, spares are expensive and where i live the roads are shit, so no need for speed. most of the bikes i built were exported to collectors and bike-freaks like myself in denmark and holland, and i thought i was getting real good prices, but, you are right-prices have gone crazy!. by the way,-no bonnie (or norton or harley) i ever built ever leaked a drop of oil. if you ever buy one, and have the old oil leak problem, i will tell you how to sort it if you contact me- .

by the way, anybody know of any rusty relics left over from the vietnam war- inspired american stayover in thailand?

they must exist, but to date have turned up nothing but a few sidevalve brit bilkes from ww2- hardly inspiring.

how about starting an iron-horse-type thread for those of us sick of ######s on step-through scooters masquerading as bikers?? anybody interested?

frikkie

Hi frikkie, oh man so am I – a fan of the bikes you mentioned. I belonged to the Antique Motor Cycle Club of America. Had Triumph Bonneville, pre- unit and unit- original

and extended, built a 1937 VLD 74 or maybe it was an 80” ( that was fun restoring) had “straight thru” oil displacement J no filter – just in thru and out. That was a basket case. Loved restoring a 45 flathead, with side shift and rocker clutch ( had fun learning how to start at a light on a hill) J Another basket case but real cheap buy.

And of course the longest I owned a sled was/is my 1994 Sporster. I really loved my Trumpets though. Boy could I “wip around on em.” And ah yes know all a/b British electrics; the real meaning of BSA J

One ride I also went from 2 carbs to one – less hassle keeping em tuned eh?

When I move/build in Isaan I hope to also scrounge around and re-start my collection (if possible). Oh yea!! Maybe we can start huntin down some old “wrecks” and havin em legalized in LOS ????

I am really glad to hear all the input vie ThaiVisa members.

I’m looking again for an architect from the Nong Sung/ Kaeng Khro area as I’m not inclined to deal with the ones that find it difficult to return calls etc. Any/all leads will be appreciated.

:o

Keoki

www.gt-rider.com has small section on topic

Hello one and all. I am very new to Thaivisa and you have helped me already. I wonder if you have any knowleged/experience in importing items. The item in question is my 1974 (1000cc) Harley Davidson Sporster. I think it will be great "cruzin" the country in Isaan. We are planning on building in NongSung so any all advice a/b build/purchasing/hiring and getting my HD here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Keoki

and extended, built a 1937 VLD 74 or maybe it was an 80" ( that was fun restoring) had "straight thru" oil displacement J no filter – just in thru and out. That was a basket case. Loved restoring a 45 flathead, with side shift and rocker clutch ( had fun learning how to start at a light on a hill) J Another basket case but real cheap buy.

And of course the longest I owned a sled was/is my 1994 Sporster. I really loved my Trumpets though. Boy could I "wip around on em." And ah yes know all a/b British electrics; the real meaning of BSA J

One ride I also went from 2 carbs to one – less hassle keeping em tuned eh?

When I move/build in Isaan I hope to also scrounge around and re-start my collection (if possible). Oh yea!! Maybe we can start huntin down some old "wrecks" and havin em legalized in LOS ????

I am really glad to hear all the input vie ThaiVisa members.

I'm looking again for an architect from the Nong Sung/ Kaeng Khro area as I'm not inclined to deal with the ones that find it difficult to return calls etc. Any/all leads will be appreciated.

:o

Keoki

architects and builders in isaan can and will drive you nuts. there are a few around, but returning calls is not an isaan thing! when you finally find one, get a qoute but insist on a breakdown-materials and labour- then source materials yourself. do not pay a deposit-rather offer to supply materials as they need them and pay them weekly for any work they carry out,-this way you will have a chance of getting a satisfactory job done. other guys pay up front and cant fire the guy halfway thru the job when he starts messing it up.

glad to hear there are at least a few people in thailand who know what a real ride is. i once (but only once) saw a classic bike race (thailand) on thai tv- so there must be a club or something-may be worth looking into. there were old thunderbirds,ajs,sunbeams and a very wobbly sprung-hub triump really going for it! race was won by a guy on a 45o desmo ducati (owned a few myself). i dont know if the bikes were thai owned or if farang had brought them over but there must be some old american stuff here from the vietnam thing and from ww2-the u.s army never went anywhere without their 45 inch flatheads.plenty of ww2 jeeps, so the harleys must be here,too-just gotta find them.. i am presently back in south africa,and co-incidentally met up with my old mate "harley joe"-he is kind of a south african version of arlen ness- a very talented machinist who makes a living by carving amazing billet aluminium after-market parts for harleys.he owns a whole collection, starting from 1936. he rode his old 45 inch flathead 140km just to meet me for a few drinks in the pub, and at 1am, rode it home again. no oilleaks, no breakdowns-and he really punishes the old thing.we will be doing a run next weekend , and he is lending me his chopped knuckle-hope i dont drop it-over here they are as scarce as rockinghorse-shit!

hey,tilapia, do you know just how many bikers i know who are into fish/fishfarming?-wierd how the two totally opposite lifestyles seem to meet so often.

i was starting to think maybe i was a bit wierd: show a thai a picture of a real bike and he goes apeshit about the little kiddies 125cc sportbike lookalike in the background!....maybe i am not crazy after all............

good luck all

frikkie

Edited by frikkiedeboer