Aggressive uncontrolled dogs ( What are my rights? )

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

I agree that it needs to be dealt with, just doubt that getting in people's faces does a whole lot of good here, most times. Showing you're not a pushover is one thing, beating the <deleted> out of someone is another. Try to bear in mind we're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothies.

I didn't say anything about violence towards the owner, far from it, only a complete idiot would try that route.  Not being a pushover means that you will take all legal remedies to get a solution and not just sit back and expect it to all go away, it won't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

take the dog and get it an injection of anti biotics. If I bit my wife,  Its likely to have caught 'mad cow disease'. 

Sorry sweetheart, love you really. 

How are you going to 'take the dog'? That is, if owner objects.

Just now, Surelynot said:

Yes I should know better...I bought my three daughters a can of "dog attack" spray each...they all live in central London.

On of them was visiting her sister at the House of Commons....forgot it was in her handbag.....security found it.....all hell broke loose......she spent 12 hours in a prison cell and was eventually found guilty of a category 5 fire arms offense......fined £500.......guess who paid?

A rape alarm is legal in UK and just as effective. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I didn't say anything about violence towards the owner, far from it, only a complete idiot would try that route.  Not being a pushover means that you will take all legal remedies to get a solution and not just sit back and expect it to all go away, it won't. 

I agree. My comments were largely directed at the other poster who prescribed getting stuck in. My experience is that being able to make local authorities/police do something is a power demonstration by itself. Plus, we're not all Chuck Norris, or have extended families to back us up if things go south.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you injure a dog you can be charged with animal abuse. Has happened to some foreigners already. So be careful. 

I've seen news reports of that too, but a really aggressive dog probably has a history which will justify your own actions to authorities, and besides, I'd rather have to deal with a legal issue than a potentially serious medical one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I've seen news reports of that too, but a really aggressive dog probably has a history which will justify your own actions to authorities, and besides, I'd rather have to deal with a legal issue than a potentially serious medical one.

There is a difference between defending yourself during an attack and buying a slingshot and going on the offensive. I am pretty sure that if your defending different rules apply. 

I must say lived in a village for some time now in BKK but havent ever encountered aggressive dogs (only in samui). Been in Pattaya too havent seen them there either. I am sure there are some spots but it also depends how you behave. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Agree.....don't fall into the trap of thinking you are dealing with rational human beings who might listen to  reasoned arguments......in my experience of village life, Thai men don't listen to what anyone else tells them...and certainly not a farang.

Totally agree; probably not a good idea to aggressively confront a dog owner, especially if there is a language barrier.  Approach in a civil manner, yes.  If that doesn't work, file a complaint with police because a dog owner who allows their dog to be unrestrained in public and it results in somebody getting injured is in violation of the law and responsible for reparations (specific code violations listed earlier in this thread).

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

There is a difference between defending yourself during an attack and buying a slingshot and going on the offensive. I am pretty sure that if your defending different rules apply. 

I must say lived in a village for some time now in BKK but havent ever encountered aggressive dogs (only in samui). Been in Pattaya too havent seen them there either. I am sure there are some spots but it also depends how you behave. 

I think there was a recent news story in Pattaya or Bangkok about such a confrontation between someone (a farang) who claimed to be attacked and the dog owner.  Even after the dog was dazed from the the defensive kicks by the Farang, he continued to kick the dog over and over unmercifully. 

The owner came out of his house and a confrontation erupted with the owner's neighboring joining in.  Things got physical and the police had to respond.

As for aggressive dogs in Thailand, they are everywhere IMO!  I lived in Chiang Mai and they were always a threat to cyclists on rural trails, and even in very crowded locations like on the University campus (which is quite unusual). 

Plenty of them roam around in the vast Pratumnak Park here in Pattaya as well.  In fact, one of the running trails is nicknamed "Mad Dog Alley" because of all the nasty packs that make the park their home LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think there was a recent news story about such a confrontation between someone (a farang) who claimed to be attacked and the dog owner, and things quickly escalated out of control with the owner's neighbors joining in and things got very physical requiring the police to respond.

As for aggressive dogs in Thailand, they are everywhere IMO!  I lived in Chiang Mai and they were always a threat to cyclists on rural trails, and even in very crowded locations like on the University campus (which is quite unusual). 

Plenty of them roam around in the vast Pratumnak Park here in Pattaya as well.  In fact, one of the running trails is nicknamed "Mad Dog Alley" because of all the nasty packs that make the park their home LOL!

I think it must be cycling. My walks around my old place and now new place (ok Thong lor so I dont expect many strays here). I never encoutered them. Only encountered them on Samui. But I think as a bike your a target and you cover a lot of ground. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I think it must be cycling. My walks around my old place and now new place (ok Thong lor so I dont expect many strays here). I never encoutered them. Only encountered them on Samui. But I think as a bike your a target and you cover a lot of ground. 

Thong lor!.....more chance of being run over by a Bentley or a Ferrari than being bitten by a dog.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thong lor!.....more chance of being run over by a Bentley or a Ferrari than being bitten by a dog.

Before my time was spend in a gated village in Bang Yai area. But dogs were never a problem. I think it depends on if your ona bike or not and if your used  to dogs. I passed plenty of packs of dogs without problems. Maybe because I own a dog i smell of dog. Who knows but never a problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yeah, you're right.  Cyclist cover a lot more ground, usually ride in secluded areas like trails in the woods or or rural roads where dog confrontations are much more likely. 

The thing that always surprised me though was having it happen often right on the very busy campus of Chiang Mai University since aggressive dogs normally are only encountered in secluded areas, alleys, etc, and most of their aggressive behavior is about defending their territory.

The kind of humorous thing is that some of them seem to do it as "sport".  I mean, you get the definite impression they like to see their prey trying to get away from them, and an actual attack is not even motivating them. 

But of course there are the other ones intent to do you harm and that can send a chill down your spine and get that sphincter muscle working big time LOL !

Edited by WaveHunter

We've had problems with several neighbors who have pitbulls. One has three, the other two, all running lose. Besides biting a few ppl, they have killed many dogs, cows, buffalo and deer in a nearby enclosure.

We have videos of them killing deer and other dogs. The owner doesn't care, neither does the village headman. Finally someone poisoned one, so now they're carefully about where they roam.

On the other property with two, they were the dogs of the staff. The property owner seems to have kicked them out after we complained when the killed a neightbours dog (that neighbors lost three dogs, but was too gutless too complain).

There was a case recently were a Russian in Pattaya had to pay 30k after killing a Pitbull that was running lose. The Thai family kept it in the freezer as evidence.

The dog problem here will be solved once they've sorted the roads, no rush.

In the meantime carry a stick like the locals and don't be scared to use it, just wait til they're close enough.

• Like 1

These threads come like a reservation on calendar. Always the same unworkable response  of thrashings, or forced payment and big mouth threats.

-Best advise given was to take up with the village head person. This is their responsibility. 

The person  complains of noise and possible past attack. What good will carrying a big stick and making threats do? Attack already happen and carrying stick does not stop the noise. Dog owner is obviously irresponsible jerk. Kills his dogs and he will just go get more dogs and have them breed uncontrolled.

Only solution is  to have village boss put him straight if the problem is to stop.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Agree.....don't fall into the trap of thinking you are dealing with rational human beings who might listen to  reasoned arguments......in my experience of village life, Thai men don't listen to what anyone else tells them...and certainly not a farang.

This for Thai men stretches to even in the big or small city. It is a mentality of a firecracker that always wants to be lit. But don't get it one sided as the Thai woman can certainly spur or fuel the action of the Thai guy into an off the hook frenzy. I have experience in this, but so far I have met their craziness with equal or more severe off the hook craziness. I think it makes them come off their red hot center when you can yell and confront every little bit just as good in Thai back at them as they are yelling at you. And I am not a frail looking guy but my draw back for safety is always trying to be aware for how far a Thai guy will actually go taking a knife, getting buddies or pulling out a gun. It is a common everyday occurrence.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If your wife has been bitten, you go to the owner and demand payment for cost and stress. 

good luck with that.... 3 weeks ago riding my bike, 6 dogs lay in front of a house, 2 of them decided to run after me, I try to kick them but 1 managed to bite my food making me fall down...as I stand up and yelling at them,  they run away towards the house, the owners of the house (husband and wife) came out and I show them the bite and told them that I would go to the police complain and will ask for payment of hospital bill, do you want to know their answer?  they laugh at me and the wife in a broken  but understandable English said " why you come to our road, your fault..."

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

good luck with that.... 3 weeks ago riding my bike, 6 dogs lay in front of a house, 2 of them decided to run after me, I try to kick them but 1 managed to bite my food making me fall down...as I stand up and yelling at them,  they run away towards the house, the owners of the house (husband and wife) came out and I show them the bite and told them that I would go to the police complain and will ask for payment of hospital bill, do you want to know their answer?  they laugh at me and the wife in a broken  but understandable English said " why you come to our road, your fault..."

I don't go to the police and I don't ask but tell them.