Used Laptop Batteries - Where to Buy?

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I can recycle dead laptop batteries but I don't know where to buy them in Thailand. I have heard that there are computer scrap yards, but don't know where they sell the parts. 

Any hints on where to buy dead laptop batteries? 

I can't imagine a market for this considering that you can easily and cheaply buy replacement batteries from reputable merchants on AliExpress (probably even Lazada).  I bought one for my MacBookPro from AliExpress over a year ago and it is excellent.

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I can't imagine a market for this considering that you can easily and cheaply buy replacement batteries from reputable merchants on AliExpress (probably even Lazada).  I bought one for my MacBookPro from AliExpress over a year ago and it is excellent.

I scavenge the dead batteries to extract the cells. I use the cells to power my house, after I verify and charge the cells. 

Please don't cross-post in multiple forums, since this thread has responses I'll keep this one open.

I'm sure that the Thais, being a resourceful lot, have already cornered any market in salvaged and tested cells. That said I have no idea where (or even if) these cells are on sale.

There are certainly used LiFePO4 golf-cart cells available on Lazada but the typical 18650 cells are so cheap ... 

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Please don't cross-post in multiple forums, since this thread has responses I'll keep this one open.

I'm sure that the Thais, being a resourceful lot, have already cornered any market in salvaged and tested cells. That said I have no idea where (or even if) these cells are on sale.

There are certainly used LiFePO4 golf-cart cells available on Lazada but the typical 18650 cells are so cheap ... 

Sorry for the cross post, but my first post disappeared.

I am looking for dead laptop batteries. I am not seeing salvaged cells for sale on Lazada. Most 18650s on Lazada are worthless Chinese fake cells or expensive high end cells. 

I have heard stories about computer recyclers who basically scrap and bury systems, I was looking for a lead on one of them.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Some/Many of the cells advertised on lazada and other direct from China sellers are salvaged/recycled, they just don’t tell you that they are.

That may be, but I am familiar with the brands and types of cells used in laptop batteries, and I am not seeing them for sale on Lazada. What I do see are fakes like 9900MaH Ultrafire. 

There also seem to be legitimate 18650 batteries at realistic capacities like 2500 MaH for sale by Thai companies. 

Edited by Danderman123

I found a source on Lazada for used batteries. The only issue is pricing, about 100 baht for a dead battery. These might have 6 cells, if 5 are still good, that’s 20 baht apiece. Then the issue is the capacity of the cells.

Right now, I just intend to assemble these into 8 cell power banks, but if I can find a cheaper source, I will start building PowerWalls to store power from solar panels.

The used 18650 gold rush has slowed. YouTube drama queens have had their revenue and E bay sellers jacked up the price to suit popularity.

I guess spending time testing and sticking together hundreds of used cells has its therapeutic benefits for some.

Lifepo4 can be under $80/kWh and gathering pace in the DIY solar market.

21 hours ago, maxpower said:

The used 18650 gold rush has slowed. YouTube drama queens have had their revenue and E bay sellers jacked up the price to suit popularity.

I guess spending time testing and sticking together hundreds of used cells has its therapeutic benefits for some.

Lifepo4 can be under $80/kWh and gathering pace in the DIY solar market.

This is Thailand.

Not so many people working on 18650 cells here.

Since is Cm forum I got one for free at Pantip plaza on Chan Klan -Night bazaar..inside the shop--not sure if still....the computer level--3rd floor???

There were many shops that sold only batteries.....one guy --Indian?....gave me a used battery for my old outdated netbook(lol).....I also ordered one online..only 3 hr charge..blah

Anyway, I did open up the two used batteries I bought via Lazada for 100 baht apiece. Each contained 6 rather good Samsung and LG cells, all working, so the cells are now charged. 15 baht or so for good cells, I can’t complain.

I would still like to find whoever recycles those laptop batteries to buy a bunch.