Instructions for Using a Step Ladder

Pilotman

No instructions on going up past the last step?, or standing on the top, or ensuring the folded supports are locked out, or better yet, not for use by persons over 136 Kg.  Sounds like you have a lawsuit on your hands if you fall off of it or it collapses on you since there is no ladder safety warnings on the ladder itself like these.

th?id=OP.%2fAbD51SPCyINvA474C474&w=200&h=220&rs=1&o=5&dpr=1.44&pid=21.1

There are tests that should be done to any ladder - new or old - before use. And also some basic safety things to consider.

One important one is to check each step or rung for any movement, or looseness.

Trap the end of the ladder and twist each side or integrity.

Look along the sides of the ladder for bulges and indentations.

When using the ladder, there should be three points of contact (co Kadilo)

Do not wear flip-flops when mounting the ladder. Better bare-foot than flip-flops.

If possible have a trusted person at the base to deter the ladder from oscillations.

Best to spread the load rather than put the legs on bricks (for instance).

People who are afraid of heights should have a medically trained person near. As should very over-weight people.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rumak said:

Many of those points I have found useful when choosing a night time visitor as well ......

Indeed!

I hadn't thought of that, but of course you are correct. Danger is all around us. Best to be aware of the pitfalls.

But! With safety-first thoughts in our head we can still lead a productive and serene life, before the inevitable falls upon us.

Stay safe everyone. Check out your ladders and night-visitors.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Do not wear flip-flops when mounting the ladder. Better bare-foot than flip-flops.

And of course this is where wearing appropriate things on your feet is vital.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Last two steps? So you can use your knees for support?

If you were on the second to last step and you leaned too far forward, the flip-flops would offer little in the way of foot/step integrity. It would not be hard to envisage a calamity. And this is where the medically trained stand-by would be useful.

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

and thanks so much for the tip on the flip flops.   I now always remove them before mounting !

No rubber on the soles of your feet, just do not play with electricity then if on a metal ladder barefoot.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No rubber on the soles of your feet, just do not play with electricity then if on a metal ladder barefoot.

Rubbers are customary, but the electricity is typically a small battery, so not very dangerous.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone know if you can buy the replacement rubber "boots" that fit on the legs of the stepladder? Never seen them in any hardware store.

Found some a while back in the local shop, the kind of place that looks a mess but owner knows where each individual screw is. Another time, we just bought a piece of rubber sheet, cut and glued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

you missed out the most important one:

Call a local Thai chap and get him to bring his own ladder to do the job.  Works for me. 

If I have to go more than the 4th rung on a Thai made Stepladder, I also call a Local Guy in,

Just 2 weeks ago, I had one of these things fold up on me when up on number 4 rung. Luckily the Wifes Garden Plants broke my fall, and I just received a few grazes. ( from the Missus )

My own stupid fault, and I should have known better

• Like 1